Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

'03 runner unusual factory stereo layout and placement of speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 runner unusual factory stereo layout and placement of speakers

Hello to all. After finding some of the best 4runner & toyota information online in these forums I decided to become a member in hopes to learn more hands on information.

My first "mod" or project I'm looking into doing to my '03 runner is to completely replace the factory stereo and speakers and upgrade to a fairly high-end custom stereo, 1,500-2K range. I've done a lot of research on products, cost, manufactures, doing it myself vs. audio store, etc. and I've decided to do it myself. NOTE: I have read all of "impulsebrklyn" posts. Thanks for all the excellent info. your posts & web site helped make my decision to do this project myself.

My goal is to have a clean install with no visual changes except the head unit and sm. single sub box. Setup I'm leaning towards: Alpine head unit, Alpine changer (already own), iPod adapter, 4 channel amp, components speakers in front doors, mid in rear doors with 10" sub in back. I think one amp and the deck should be able to power everything. So with that said I have several questions about what to do with some of the unusual factory stereo layout and placement of speakers.

1) center dash speaker. What type of speaker would be good to replace this with? Speaker size? Or should this simply be disconnected to make system easier.

2) factory sub. Without taking off the entire interior panel I can't seem to get an idea of the space in or behind the sub. Is there actually room put a quality sub in there? Or could I remove factory sub and use the space to hide and install amp(s), equipment? I have no problem with small sub box that’s visible in the back.

3) overhead back speakers, tweeters. I wanted to use this space for new tweeters if possible. My question here is, would it be ok use component tweets there and put the mids from that set in the back door? More specifically is it ok to have the tweet and mid so far apart? Is there a distance limit before it sounds weird? Or again would it just be better to disconnected them for the new system? Or should I just keep and use these factory speakers since there not going to make a major difference anyway?

4) small inter 2nd glove box thingy. I had an idea of placing my older changer (Alpine CHA-5604 Ai-net, 6 disk) from my '93 runner in there. Its a very thin/narrow space so it fits like a glove! Is this a ok idea?

I know this is a lot. Any thoughts, input, suggestions, web links or answers to my questions will be greatly appreciated. I will document (photos) every step of the way of this project so it can be shared.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:21 PM

4th gen stereo

I've done pretty much the same things that you are talking about. the biggest problem is the front speakers. they are 6x9 components. the only decent brand that makes 6x9 components is mb quart's. you can also go for 6.5 but it takes special brackets. the rears are 6.5. I have two jl amps, one 4 channel running the fronts and rears, and a mono amp running one 10(JL w3). I also have a alpine deck. I tried running everything off the four channel and deck power, but found it was not enough. You could also get one 5 channel and run everything. I put the amps under the front seats at first, but had some problems because of the heat vent under the drivers seat overheating the amp(moved one of the amps to the cargo hold). I am sure I am not answering all your questions but hopefully it is a start.

BTW, I had a hard time finding a headunit adaptor so If you find one buy it(finally found one at good guys after looking everywhere).

good luck and feel free to send questions!
Old 07-19-2004, 03:24 PM

What did you do with the center dash speaker?

How about the overhead back speakers?