Site Feedback Please use this forum to provide feedback, suggestions on the site

What makes a good moderator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What makes a good moderator?

And what doesn't? Post it up. Ya know I want to know. Maybe even specific examples (without names) Be constructive without bashing ok? How can we do better. Ok I cannot speak for others - but how can i do better?

Thanks guys...

-Molly
Old 09-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lysmachia
And what doesn't? Post it up. Ya know I want to know. Maybe even specific examples (without names) Be constructive without bashing ok? How can we do better. Ok I cannot speak for others - but how can i do better?

Thanks guys...

-Molly
Moderators that join the "mob" of regular users, and turn to every one for advice, and a sense of humor. That's what makes a good moderator. And of course, the pics with the stinger bumpers don't hurt either...
Old 09-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

You are not helping my honest case stormin94
Old 09-11-2007, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
umm... good question... you moderators seem to be doin a good job... you COULD post pics of your trucks again though for us all to all drool over.. especially with the stinger bumpers
Old 09-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Contributing Member

This is not a stinger thread dammit. And well if I post one of my stinger I will post one of some guy hanging off of it got it? *grin*

So constructive criticism is welcome (But PM me for more babe pictures) OK kidding...

All ribbing aside. Feel free to speak your mind. It is about time some of you do.... we need it to get better....
Old 09-12-2007, 05:17 AM
Banned

for startrs dont put up dum picks of yourselves looking like bumpermonkys hanging off of your stinger. thats just retearted.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:27 AM

I think moderators should close threads when they get off topic.

Bumpermonkeys ha ha ha ha ha. thats funny
Old 09-12-2007, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

Honesty and openness. The more stuff that happens 'behind closed doors' the more a general population will distrust and have issue with the management. I don't see a big problem with YT mods, other than a little abuse of power to settle personal conflicts, and a little to much internet tough guy, and big brother situations occasionally. I do understand that a board like this has to be regulated though, or elso chaos. But I think with HONEST, TRULY OPEN lines of communication with the general membership with info about what you guys have going on, and why you close a thread, or ban someone, or whatever will make the membership as a whole much more receptive to changes in leadership, as well as the board, and for those that dont like it....well you gotta breaka few eggs to make an omlette, right?

Hope thats honest and real enough for you Molly.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

Consistency in what is moderated is a big one.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:21 AM

look a bumpermonkey

j/k i think you guys are doing a great job
Old 09-12-2007, 06:42 AM

Technical knowledge, clear writing and ability to comprehend posters who can't listen.

The ability to remain professional in the face of incomprehensible, personally assaulting, illiterate babble.

Objective assessments of situations.

Fair use of the rules.

Bob, Lance, Rob and Steve.

Last edited by Flygtenstein; 09-12-2007 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Ommission
Old 09-12-2007, 06:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
Honesty and openness. The more stuff that happens 'behind closed doors' the more a general population will distrust and have issue with the management. I don't see a big problem with YT mods, other than a little abuse of power to settle personal conflicts, and a little to much internet tough guy, and big brother situations occasionally. I do understand that a board like this has to be regulated though, or elso chaos. But I think with HONEST, TRULY OPEN lines of communication with the general membership with info about what you guys have going on, and why you close a thread, or ban someone, or whatever will make the membership as a whole much more receptive to changes in leadership, as well as the board, and for those that dont like it....well you gotta breaka few eggs to make an omlette, right?

Hope thats honest and real enough for you Molly.
this is very true.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

Why we close a thread - or ban someone: That is a tough one... If you got banned would you want the teeming masses to know why?

If the teeming masses say we should air the dirty laundry of banning then maybe we should. But we don't want this to be Dramatech.... Oh wait too late

As for closing a thread usually it is self evident but I get your point - that sometimes it might be political and out of a vendetta - so looks like that needs to be addressed

Adrian - why do you list the old mods? Be clear please...
Old 09-12-2007, 09:23 AM

I forgot Mike.

They were clear with what was happening, showed integrity and held fast to ideals I agreed with.

Further, they shoveled a lot of crap dealing with repeat posts and drama. I think the search first, ask questions later mantra should be embraced.

They also knew the difference between constructive criticism and public floggings. The internet is not just a place to hold hands and have a circle jerk nor is it the only say nice things type of place.

They wouldn't just post to say, "Sweet pics" "Share more" "Awesome build" even though it was the same bolt on stuff everyone has seen one billion times.

I later found out they had sharks with friggin' lasers on their friggin' heads and that was just too cool to pass up.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
We do not like to list here why someone has been full banned or a temp ban.
It is of no business but between the person who got banned and the staff.

If your wife or husband cheats on you, do you go around and air that kind of stuff?

Some things are best kept private, and different forums have different policies.
And that is the way it is here and shall remain that way.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Corey

If your wife or husband cheats on you, do you go around and air that kind of stuff?

Some things are best kept private, and different forums have different policies.
well thats your chioce no matter how wrong you are sence you are the supereme dicktater here.

telling everyone why a person is baned will let them know whear the line is that they should not cross. also it cleers the air of rumors and stuff.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey

Corey, Im not trying to stir the pot, but I personally beleive that this kind of attitude is part of the problem we are trying to clear up here. "Thats the way it is here, and shall remain that way" Okay, I think thats a stonewall answer. What makes a good mod? Someone who listens and receives input, and considers actions carefully, instead of doling out dictatorly rules.

I like YotaTech, I think its a great friendly place, and has lots of great Tech, but I think that this kind of attitude and position on the issues brought to air could be a contributing factor to sending many people who may be anything from a lurker, to a loyal contributing member scampering to other forums for thier Toyota needs.

I know it is a fine line between doing what is right, and doing what is popular, but perhaps we, and by we, I mean the leadership of this forum (even though I am in no way involved with that) should tread that line a little more carefully?

Last edited by 04 Rocko Taco; 09-12-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Banned

to be honest the worst thing ever done hear was to run off the other modaraters that used to be hear. now those guys where good at what they do and still are. if you want to see how a modarater should act then they are the ones that should teach you.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
Corey, Im not trying to stir the pot, but I personally beleive that this kind of attitude is part of the problem we are trying to clear up here. "Thats the way it is here, and shall remain that way" Okay, I think thats a stonewall answer. What makes a good mod? Someone who listens and receives input, and considers actions carefully, instead of doling out dictatorly rules.

I like YotaTech, I think its a great friendly place, and has lots of great Tech, but I think that this kind of attitude and position on the issues brought to air could be a contributing factor to sending many people who may be anything from a lurker, to a loyal contributing member scampering to other forums for thier Toyota needs.

I know it is a fine line between doing what is right, and doing what is popular, but perhaps we, and by we, I mean the leadership of this forum (even though I am in no way involved with that) should tread that line a little more carefully?
I have to agree with this Rocko. I think a forum needs to be dynamic and the moderators should be able to guide the change not prevent it. I too am tired of rumors about why folks were banned. I would prefer to state the reason. However, that just might create more gossip. I really don't know how to get around that...

Thanks for all of your input so far...
Old 09-12-2007, 09:52 PM

..cant delete.

Last edited by Godzilla; 09-13-2007 at 05:19 AM. Reason: want to stay out of pissing contest

Quick Reply: What makes a good moderator?