Site Feedback Please use this forum to provide feedback, suggestions on the site

What makes a good moderator?

Old 09-13-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What makes a good Mod. you ask?

Knowing when it's time to retire from the job.

I was a Mod. on a different forum, very tough calls to make, and got myself hammered by Admin a time or two for banning certain individuals.

Now that forum and it's Mods. are all "In house" meaning they all work under the same roof, at the same publishing company.

What a relief it was to have my freedom back, and no more headaches caused by being a Mod.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Contributing Member

Being a mod can be a thankless job, and we are human too. We make mistakes. I am sorry for the mistakes I have made - especially when I get emotionally charged (Like tonight). I guess that is something I need to work on.

Also good point. Knowing when to step down is important too...

I dunno - maybe mods should be nominated and voted on. An unlikely thing to happen but in an ideal world it might be great...
Old 09-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Moderators need to "respond" to issues and be "proactive" to prevent situations.

Moderators become useless when they "react" and allow emotion and personal preference and opinion to cloud their objectivity.

I have typed numerous responses on this forum only to "Go Advanced" and reread what I typed only to scrap the whole pile of drivel.

Moderating is a thankless job at best and PITA most of the time I imagine. I would not do it on a permanent basis if you paid me...too much like work.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

I dunno about the nominating/voting on mods thing... who decides who can be nominated... who can nominate... who can vote? lotsa thorny questions here... perhaps existing mods [in good standingn lol] should be the ones to vet any new mods who should offer to serve and/or recommend any particular member to be solicited to serve...
but I think we are straying off the topic of molly's original question...
Old 09-18-2007, 05:22 AM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
And what doesn't? Post it up. Ya know I want to know. Maybe even specific examples (without names) Be constructive without bashing ok? How can we do better. Ok I cannot speak for others - but how can i do better?

Thanks guys...

-Molly

Are you seriously asking this question?
Really, I'm afraid that if ANYBODY were to reply with any type of honest constructive criticism on this, they will be banned, or warned (at the least).

My honest thought, Okay, ban me if you must, but you asked...
I have never been a fan of daytime drama/soaps, but there you go, I log onto YT, and I can look at ANY post by ONE specific member or just about ANY post by ONE specific mod, and there is the drama right there on my screen.
Yes, sometimes that drama is brought on by that specific member/mod, but more than not, I am noticing that it is ONE specific person that will "stir the pot" or "add unnecessary negativity", and that person is not warned, his threads are not "edited for drama, his posts are not deleted.
What's up with that?

I suppose if a mod has a personal interest in someone who is trying to cause drama, that mod should SEPARATE from that situation altogether. That mod SHOULD NOT be permitted to edit, delete, or mod any part of that thread. Especially when that particular mod may be sitting-right-next-to the person that is trying to cause the drama.

Sorry, but you asked, and I've been seeing this on quite a few occasions!
Really, it's quite something to see, and watch Corey permit this!
Old 09-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Banned for being an asshat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Corey, Molly...

Someone who looks at something and having known what the person's activities have been like overall, if there's any specific trends going on, etc-etc.

A humble yet enforcing tone always seems best for everyone.

Be a fair judge of posts, character if you will.

Realize there sometimes is more to a story than just one person's side to things.

Get feedback and imput before making decisions that not only affect an individual, but the forum base as a whole, and how outsiders will view this.

No bullying, no bad-copping, be a representative of the entire forum base, a steward if you will.

That being said, please check your pm's in as reasonable a time manner as possible, and always get back to someone with a responsible answer.

Have the members and existing Mod's vote on new Mod's, so the community feel is kept.

Last edited by Four Runner; 09-19-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by IngaPrincessWarrior
Are you seriously asking this question?
Really, I'm afraid that if ANYBODY were to reply with any type of honest constructive criticism on this, they will be banned, or warned (at the least).

My honest thought, Okay, ban me if you must, but you asked...
I have never been a fan of daytime drama/soaps, but there you go, I log onto YT, and I can look at ANY post by ONE specific member or just about ANY post by ONE specific mod, and there is the drama right there on my screen.
Yes, sometimes that drama is brought on by that specific member/mod, but more than not, I am noticing that it is ONE specific person that will "stir the pot" or "add unnecessary negativity", and that person is not warned, his threads are not "edited for drama, his posts are not deleted.
What's up with that?

I suppose if a mod has a personal interest in someone who is trying to cause drama, that mod should SEPARATE from that situation altogether. That mod SHOULD NOT be permitted to edit, delete, or mod any part of that thread. Especially when that particular mod may be sitting-right-next-to the person that is trying to cause the drama.

Sorry, but you asked, and I've been seeing this on quite a few occasions!
Really, it's quite something to see, and watch Corey permit this!
For 14 posts it seems like you might be trying to stir the pot here. But you bring up some good points... though the issue about drama seems redundant in a way....
Old 09-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Currently there are 3 mods. We will be adding more (See the "Are you Moderator Material" thread).

I cannot say thank you enough for all of your feed back all. Even if I do not agree with everyone - everyone should have a fair say if it is said fairly and within the rules.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:57 PM

For 14 posts it seems like you might be trying to stir the pot here. But you bring up some good points... though the issue about drama seems redundant in a way....
to treat any altercations on the situation and not base it on post count. a voice is still a voice. many times a newb is dealt with when the instigator is a senior member. they may only have 14 posts, yet they've been here longer than you...some people use this site for tech, use the search feature, and arent post-whores. go figure

Last edited by Godzilla; 09-25-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

Ok 14 posts and there could be endless knowledge. I went back and re-read her posts. I respectfully disagree.

What I saw there was someone actually complaining about drama but also knowingly trying to stir it up. Also note - as a mod I didn't do anything about it except say my difference of opinion.
My 2 cents...

As a moderator I feel I am also allowed to call others out when stirring that drama pot just like any of you...

We can agree to disagree and move on.

Last edited by Lysmachia; 09-25-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:53 PM

ugh..totally missed the real point to that. was going to respond but remembered to double check the rules..We will not tolerate any mocking or flaming of the staff. This includes but is not limited to:
not going to bother getting hit with the limited to's...I suppose i shoulda just stayed with my reason for editing my initial post in this thread.
back to reading tech.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here comes a rare poster to stir the pot...

A personal attack without implicit direction griping about drama.

Now a rebuttal without implicit direction laughing at hypocracy.

Post count does not always measure content, but when rare posters come out of the woodwork on something that is not tech, there is fishy business afoot!
Old 09-26-2007, 06:00 AM

All ribbing aside. Feel free to speak your mind. It is about time some of you do.... we need it to get better....
seems you asked for the people with 14 posts to do exactly what was done. it was an honest reply to your question, and you took it personal. a good mod would take that on the chin and either agree or disagree, but not call them out as being pot stirrers. after all, isn't this whole thread sort of stirring it?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Contributing Member

Only 3 mods here? I thought there were more than that. Suffice to say the three of you are doing a lot of work...wow!

As to stirring the pot all I can say (with a cackle) is...
"bubble bubble toil and trouble, fire burn and caldron bubble"

IMO post count matters not [there are some real post-hoes here... like ME! ] content is what matters everyone has a valid opinion on most things, some of us just have certain "hobby horses" we like to climb on now and again. And some of us come with baggage from other places that causes us to occasionally stir a pot or two... as long as it does'nt get out of hand thats OK [it helps keep people out of book depositories and clock towers]

Lets keep it light and fun...
Prost Aviator
Old 09-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
There is only one moderating right now, and that would be Molly.
Well, I am pulling double duty doing both that and my other stuff here

For the most part this is a fairly easy place to moderate, as most members know the atmosphere here.
It is only a hand full of troublemakers that try to stir things up here.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah but I sure could use some help. Go nominate a mod On this thread
Old 09-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ric
IMO, a moderator should
1) NOT play "favortism" yes, this has been done.
2) A mod should be FAIR. regardless if they dont get along with "everyone"
3) He/She should have the "time" to dedicate to the board. (ex. have no life )
4) he/she should be "respected" buy the community.
5) they should not, be liers.
6) they should "want" to do this.
7) post count should NOT matter.
8) mods SHOULD HAVE TO abid by the same rules WE do. period.
9) mods should also get "infractions" they are NOT above the rules.
10) they should have a "good image" in the off road community. (saying doing one thing here, doing the opposite on another board)

These are just "my" thoughts, for what thats worth
And most of all, they should have a 4x4 Toyota!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Contributing Member

What he said |
V

Last edited by msw0085; 10-02-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Contributing Member

that was rude.

Last edited by msw0085; 10-03-2007 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Contributing Member

What he said^

this damn delete button is missing..

Last edited by msw0085; 10-02-2007 at 11:37 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What makes a good moderator?