Site Feedback Please use this forum to provide feedback, suggestions on the site

What makes a good moderator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
There are a few good points here.
But on the "need to know" thing about why someone was banned.

Lets say a member is on a temp ban for disregarding the rules here, so they got time out of a week, two weeks, or even a month.

In that course of downtime they decide to create a second account which they know is in direct violation of the rules here, as well as on most other forums out there.
Why would you need two accounts if not to try and create mischief?

So now that temp ban turns into a full ban.
That member may not want the public to know why they were banned.
They did something in violation of the rules, and they themselves may not want the information out there for all to see.

So you can see this from both sides of the fence.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see both side of the fence...But if you break the 'law' (rules here in yotatech, but think Bigger Picture) then there is no secret about it, if someone wants to know they just look up your arrest record. Its all a matter of public record.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:14 AM
Contributing Member

I think a good mod would stop some of the cocky attitudes around here and should have people abide by the phrase, " If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all." I have said some things in the past that was meant to be public because I felt everyone had the right to know what was going on. I know someone was going to hit me with the pot calling the kettle black, but theres my reasoning behind that.

Molly, I think you're a great mod and one who listens and understands. On the other hand, if you are going to moderate a forum, then don't swing words around like "dramatech" and such because it makes you look like you don't really enjoy the forum, much less moderate it. (Please don't get offended at that because i will make Katy come over and give you a big smooch!)
Old 09-13-2007, 04:54 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by callmej75
I think a good mod would stop some of the cocky attitudes around here and should have people abide by the phrase, " If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all."
J, that happens a lot here, it is the tough guy internet thing that many flex when they are hiding behind a keyboard.

In real life they would not talk that way to a person, they would get smacked my most.

Try going into someone's home and pulling that crap, you will get your butt kicked out the door and handed to you.

Not to change the subject, but how do you feel about the numerous threads here with titles that mean nothing?

There are many in Off Topic right now, should they just be deleted?
It is a rule here to make your titles match the contents.

Maybe we need a poll on that, and need to get back to axing the threads altogether.
It is a lot easier than renaming the title.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:10 AM
Contributing Member

I say just axe it, but then there should probably be a PM sent to the OP. And that may be just as much trouble as renaming the titles.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:18 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

OK, you want to know why a member has been banned?
One has been banned from this thread.

User
Lych.McCrack

User was told yesterday that we received complaints on his username which is a play on "lick my crack."

User created a new account this morning called "DickTater."

User knew creating a second account would end up with a ban.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

See Corey, you cleared the air, feel better?

And here I thought he was banned because of his thread talking about resigning moderators. See, clearing up misunderstandigns already Corey!!

But just out of curiosity, why delete a thread that only qoutes Rob's sigline, which can be viewed by anyone anyway?

Last edited by 04 Rocko Taco; 09-13-2007 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

btt
Old 09-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
J, that happens a lot here, it is the tough guy internet thing that many flex when they are hiding behind a keyboard.

In real life they would not talk that way to a person, they would get smacked my most.

Try going into someone's home and pulling that crap, you will get your butt kicked out the door and handed to you.

Not to change the subject, but how do you feel about the numerous threads here with titles that mean nothing?

There are many in Off Topic right now, should they just be deleted?
It is a rule here to make your titles match the contents.

Maybe we need a poll on that, and need to get back to axing the threads altogether.
It is a lot easier than renaming the title.
Not sure what the title thing you're talking about Corey...I don't really pay attention to the off topic things...maybe a few here and there.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:49 AM

Well, I'm an admin at VA4x4.com so I speak with some experience here... I believe a mod should be knowledgeable and have something to contribute by the way of tech/wisdom/ethics/etc. They should be accessible and have enough time to take care of the board. They should also be reasonable and not over moderate just to avoid conflict altogether (more just control it when it starts to get out of hand, not just when something that is potentially inflaming is posted).

On bans, I have always thought that it should be made public why someone was banned. It alleviates any suspicion that they were treated unfairly and, like was said before, shows others a real world example of what is crossing the line.

On thread titles, I get pissed with generic "help!" or "This f'ing sucks" titles that convey nothing about the content of the thread. It's a waste of time when you have to click on that thread to read it when you could have told by a well written (even if boring) title exactly what that person's question was. I don't even read the offtopic much anymore so whatever on that...
Old 09-13-2007, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by amgraham
Well, I'm an admin at VA4x4.com so I speak with some experience here... I believe a mod should be knowledgeable and have something to contribute by the way of tech/wisdom/ethics/etc. They should be accessible and have enough time to take care of the board. They should also be reasonable and not over moderate just to avoid conflict altogether (more just control it when it starts to get out of hand, not just when something that is potentially inflaming is posted).

On bans, I have always thought that it should be made public why someone was banned. It alleviates any suspicion that they were treated unfairly and, like was said before, shows others a real world example of what is crossing the line.

On thread titles, I get pissed with generic "help!" or "This f'ing sucks" titles that convey nothing about the content of the thread. It's a waste of time when you have to click on that thread to read it when you could have told by a well written (even if boring) title exactly what that person's question was. I don't even read the offtopic much anymore so whatever on that...

^^ what he said! well put
Old 09-13-2007, 08:34 AM

For what it's worth, I am a new member of this board and I must admit that I am not a veteran of using discussion boards for info.

I found this board as a result of a Google search among others. I spent a day browsing through different boards looking for what was important to me since my Google search wasn't turning up very much helpful info.

I decided to join this board because it had something that the others didn't. Characters. While I am looking for detailed specific info, I appreciate it when I can see the personalities behind the ppl who are talking. I must say that Lysmachia has caught my attention as a moderator simply by her "avatar". I then got caught up in reading a thread where a chick was doing a rebuild on a 3vze that started out as a head gasket repair. I was very impressed by the freedom to express differing opinions on various topics without it going overboard.

The other forums seemed a little more cold, and quite frankly lost my attention because it was the equivalent to reading a service manual. I didn't want to be researching blown head gasket issues to begin with, but now I am hooked on this forum because there are real people here.

As for the issue of telling everyone why someone has been banned, I say tell it like it is. Honesty and transparency with your members will get you a lot further than secrecy. If you want an example, look at he way we view our political leaders, do you really want to become one of them?

P.S. where can I find a list of the rules so I know what is and is not allowed?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Any other feedback gents, and ladies?
Old 09-13-2007, 12:46 PM

I would like to jump in and say what a great forum this is. It's great that people can (generally) get along, share differing views and opinions, and mostly avoid the rampant flaming that goes on at other sites. I think there is sometimes a lot of crap between some of the moderators and members that comes out too much, but it's not terrible - I just don't entirely understand it. Maybe just personality issues.

Originally Posted by Corey
OK, you want to know why a member has been banned?
One has been banned from this thread.

User
Lych.McCrack

User was told yesterday that we received complaints on his username which is a play on "lick my crack."

User created a new account this morning called "DickTater."

User knew creating a second account would end up with a ban.
One thing that I really like is that it's possible to tell the mods that something is offensive, and have something done about it. That user's names are certainly stupid and juvenile, but even though I didn't think it was outright offensive, someone else did. The fact that action was taken because of that says a lot about the mods, and the policy at yotatech. (for what it's worth, I agree that it's valuable to tell in general terms why someone was banned).

Lastly, I understood when I joined that all threads with ambiguous titles would be immediately deleted - it's right in the beginners section, isn't it? More of them come up every day, and I was wondering why they stayed up.

Thanks for letting us speak up!
Old 09-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

I think the mods here are doing a generally fine job.
I've noticed, however, that some times the "search" function does not seem to yield accurate results but that isa limitation of vbullitin and not the mods so jumping on somebody who asks a many times answered ? would not be right if I understood a previous post correctly, rather a simple nudge in the right direction would be preferable IMO.
I see absolutely nothing wrong with mods having fun here, despite what some might think about "Mollywhomping" haha...
So far as the publication of banned members etc. I think this would be a mistake... everybody's tempers get the best of them from time to time and they are not necessarily bad people for it. However it might be a better idea that the reasons for a ban were published every now and then to remind people of the rules... perhaps something along the lines of... a member was banned/suspended this week for the offence of [.....] as decided by a/the disiplinary tribunal of [2/3] mods... this would have the benefit of openess without the stigma/legal hassles of naming the offender[s]...
Just my 0.02 Keep up the good work Aviator

edit: just read a couple of posts posted while I was posting...lalalala....

with regard to ambigious titles I've noticed that when I start a thread if I want to change the title to correct an error it does not seem possible, so either this is another limitation of the program or i'm doing something wrong... most likely it's the latter lol... sometimes people might not be sure what to call something or where to put it [section wise] that's why we have mods to guide folks...
I know it can be boring work for the mod who gets the job of fixing these issues that week, but there it is...
With bad aliases/avatars why not give the person a chance to change it with a mods' intervention? I seem to recall from sign-up that your alias is yours forever once you choose it but what if you have a ligitimate reason for the change? just a thought...
As regards the forum in general I like our little community here... we have a lot of interesting characters, helpful people, and very little flaming. I like that in general we try to keep the mood light and breezy. There will always be a few skofolaws[sp?] but I've noticed they tend to keep to themselves and don't seem to hang around for long... other folks have their little hobby horses/soap boxes but they are okay we all have them...
I say if we can keep things as they are now we'll continue to have one of, if not the best little forum on the net, new members who come as "refugees"
from other sites always seem to comment on the friendliness and quality of information here. Let's keep it that way... Prost Aviator

Last edited by aviator; 09-13-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:22 PM

why dont we leave it to the banned to decide. i know some people want everyone to know whats going on, while others might not. happy medium? compromise?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by 4biker
I would like to jump in and say what a great forum this is. It's great that people can (generally) get along, share differing views and opinions, and mostly avoid the rampant flaming that goes on at other sites.
Thank you.
One thing we do not allow here too is the flipoff smilie.
It was just reported via the report this post system.
We have never allowed the smilie, nor will we.
We do not consider it work/family safe, so it was taken down immediately.

We are not trying to be jerks here, but that is just something that has never been allowed.
It may not be in the rules at the top of the page, but most users who know the atmosphere here know that we do not allow it.

And to the user who posted it, I hope you understand that for future reference.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Ps

One thing I would like to add is that modding or admining a forum is not easy.
It can be a drain on a person emotionally and physically.

I myself have been at this since May of 2002.
Every morning 7 days a week and five days (the work week) I get up one hour early before I would normally to get ready for work.

During my sleep cycle many threads come in overnight from new users or spammers that have gotten around the spam filter.
The good posts by the new users that go into moderation mode I must approve them before the public can view them.
They are only viewable by staff, as they are caught by the spam filter and need to be approved.

So what this entail is I must scan every single post that is up, and then go into the thread to look for it.
Sometimes this can take a long time if the thread is many pages.

Then there are the new users who can not post because their ISP (AOL is notorious for this) has put the registration letter the server sends out to confirm their signup has been put into a junkmail filter, or the members email junkmail filtration system caught it.

This happens nightly, the member gets emailed by me to let them know I went into their account and set them up.
All this can take close to an hour to do in the morning.

So there is a lot happening here that you never see or hear of.
I actually get to sleep in Saturday and Sunday having weekends off, but the above duties still need to be performed.

On weekdays before work, I must get up at 1 am to do this, as I have to be at work a little before 4 am.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

You go, Corey!
Don't worry what those other jerks say, they have their heads in the sand! Keep up the good work!

Old 09-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Mods are good here, but I don't have much to compare to, I only frequent one other board now, but it is rapidly getting more of my time.

This thread is interesting, It sounds like the mods have a LOT of reading to do, egos to stroke, bad kids to put in time out etc... I tip my hat to you guys (and gal), I would loose it after the third "How do I fit 33's?" thread.

I am curious how many mods are there? I get the seat of the pants feel that maybe a few more would be useful.

I will say that there seems to be a lot of the same stuff being asked over and over so I am not as motivated to surf and post in these threads. I like to share information as much as the next guy, but when I see "How do I fit 33's" then 4 lines down I see "What lift do I need to fit 33's" I ask myself "If this guy was dumb enough to post when right there is the answer to his/her question, are they bright enough to even change a tire?"
However, I realize people will come and go, and different people are at different points in their indoctrination to the toyota borg eccentric club, and each of those individuals will go in their own chosen direction in their own time.

I like to think of board manners like drinking in the bar. You must keep your manners as long as possible, the nicer you are to the bartender, the stronger your drinks and the less likely they are to cut you off when you fall off the barstool.

I agree with the search function issues, After searches I have had some strange results not even close to what I searched for. Look at the "similar threads" below, nothing is even close except the word "good".

Bottom line: More Mods, if needed, and less repeated threads. Otherwise, great work, this site has provided me with tons of information, advise and entertainment.

Finally a good note. I have noticed a decrease in the political/religious leg lifting contests that went on in the past, bout time. Those topics probably have plenty of their own forums.

Quick Reply: What makes a good moderator?