Site Feedback Please use this forum to provide feedback, suggestions on the site

Spyware and malware

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spyware and malware

I dont know were this goes, and dont want to throw stones, but thought everyone should know.

About three days ago I was on here and started to read "massive frame rust repair" I clicked on the first thumbnail pic. It took me to the site the pictures were loaded on. When I clicked the first picture it told me I needed to down load an activeX control to view the pictures. I allowed it to download the activeX and that is when my laptop went crazy. Everything was blocked I could not use norton corp addition, any type of spyware tools, sytem restore, or any of the usual routes to clear a malware. By the end of the hour I had over 70 malwares on this machine. I finally got stopzilla to down load. it seemed to take care of it. Everything on my computer was cleaned. but there is still some sort of tracking cookie left. I have had to restart about 5 times now so that both norton and stopzilla can get rid of new malware.

Just thought everyone should know to be careful allowing activeX controls. I usually am, but that post has been up for a long time so I thought it was safe.

Later
Old 01-27-2010, 12:40 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Have not seen the thread.
The person who posted the pictures needs to be aware his picture hosting service is infected.

We have zero control here where picture are hosted from.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:08 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dude , you got off easy .

Check this out , yesturday i was reading a couple threads from my desktop.
members caligula455 and jwbenninger threads on tundra 4wd conversions . Jwbenningers thread, third post , his pictures dont show up but at the bottom of the post he has a link to photobucket and asks to go there to see his pics . I did this , when i clicked on his second pic , my computer acted funny froze for a second when it came back there was a 2x3 inch red square in the center of my screen . This square was warning my of malware. i immediatly opened spybot about 10 seconds later my computer shuts off , and comes back on .

I am now at the black and white screen asking me if i want to start windows in normal mode ,or safe mode. I go with normal then windows tries to start first screen comes up , shuts off goes back to black and white screen does this over and over , .

i tried f10 wont work , so i pull the hard drive off and scan it using my laptop, on a moblie drive case.
so this is where i am at , will continue to work on it when i get home .

so i dont know what can be done to prevent this but watch out.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:36 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds like Photobucket is having some virus problems.
Now the two members you posted above, are they brand new members or have posted here before?
I am not going to look at the post, but before clicking any link, make sure the URL is legit when you mouse over it.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, I just used photobucket yesterday and no problems here. But there is some nasty worms going around. I've already dealt with it a few times on 2 laptops. First one to EVER infect my flash stick, and all I ever use that for is for fixing computers.

If you need anymore help, all of us here would be more than happy to help you.

If I can ask, where did you get your copy of norton corp?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heres what I do:
Download and run CCleaner, run it, then go to Tools and Start-Up. Generally you can tell which one(s) are the suckers who are coming up at start up. If you are unsure just post what is listed by doing a screen capture (PRTSC).

After that I restart into safe mode, find the files, delete them, and then install and run Malwarebytes, and then Trojan Remover. 99% of the time this totally eliminates them. I have tried 2 dozen or so different apps on manydifferent computer for work, and these two work the best.

After it is all cleaned up download AVG Free, make sure you firewall is enabled and your good to go.

(Oh and ALL the above-mentioned software is free!)

Good luck!

PS: Although a fresh install is nice, the work of installing all your apps, transferring files, and getting it the way you want is sometimes too much. I have worked on countless PC's with virus and you can count on one hand the ones that need a fresh install.

Last edited by 24Runna; 01-27-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Ya there are a bunch of new yuckies about. I got 3 machines come to me in the past 5 days all infected. I don't even bother with them, backup and clean the data and reload.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:51 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy
Ya there are a bunch of new yuckies about. I got 3 machines come to me in the past 5 days all infected. I don't even bother with them, backup and clean the data and reload.

sounds like mine
Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 AM

My mistake 4 machines...
Old 01-27-2010, 11:57 AM

MINE is a computer, not a machine. IT has feelings.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:07 PM

I don't think you want to know what it's telling me about your surfing activity...

I almost blushed at all the truck stuff on there. Shocks, underbellies, drive trains???? Geese what's next the inside of a diff...sicko!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:09 PM

That's not mine, it's my "friend's".....honest ossifer.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
my desktop is, well, inoperational for the past few weeks, because I've been too lazy to reformat and reinstall Windows, lol

I've tried everything under the sun to remove whatever it is that it cought, and I can not irradicate it!

Usually I'm pretty good at getting rid of malware, down to editing the registry and killing hard to get ones... but I just cannot get it off of this Windows 7...

So I've been using my black-friday bought laptop

I doubt my issue came from YotaTech though... my computer is used for many other downloaing things... which I am not going to discuss on the forums so who know's where it came from...
Old 01-27-2010, 06:07 PM

Good info guys, I wish I would have known about the free ware and how to use prior to spending $40.00 on spyware. But the stopzilla seems to be working better than the norton. I have made a copy of 24runna's post for future reference.

My copy of norton is from the Department of the Navy. They allow us to download it at work and bring home to instal, in hopes of not taking any of this stuff to work. Did not seem to work real well this time. First time that has happened though. It has done real well for years. But this one seemed to be built for the big names in anti-virus.

I found out why i was still downloading malware. The worm or what ever it was changed my home page to a page that looked just like google, but it had a different URL. I noticed it, deleted that home page, and put google back. Then ran stopzilla, and norton. They found several new ones, deleted them and everything seems to be running fine.

stay safe
Old 01-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
OH, and like mentioned above, I too am using AVG Free on the laptop so far so good

the desktop had Norton 360 on it, which was a few weeks out from expiring actually, lol, so I'll probably just drop it anyway, and try AVG on it once I reformat!
Old 01-27-2010, 06:18 PM

Can't remember if someone mentioned it or not but I will, SpyBot does real well. Have it run it's host files it helps as well.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:06 AM

Thanks 24. I needed that info for future infections. Have used malwarebites before, but the combination of the programs and the quick walk thru is appreciated.

<edit> wow that cc cleaner is neat. Sped me up I think.

Last edited by rjfortuna; 01-29-2010 at 05:22 AM.