Site Feedback Please use this forum to provide feedback, suggestions on the site

"Reply to" Option

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
"Reply to" Option

Ever think about adding a "Reply To" option, next to the post/poster who posted. Replying to their post specifically? Sometimes it gets messy with everyone "quoting" the people that they are replying to.

Just a suggestion.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I second that idea!
Old 02-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Ever think about adding a "Reply To" option, next to the post/poster who posted. Replying to their post specifically? Sometimes it gets messy with everyone "quoting" the people that they are replying to.

Just a suggestion.
Could do it this way, by using the multi-quote tab.......

Originally Posted by AppleJack
I second that idea!
.....or that way

Just seems that the places I've seen something similar done, its a bunch of boxes and seems to make the thread appear out of order some times. Just my opinion. I'm sure there are multiple ways to organize it.

Last edited by EWAYota; 02-07-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by EWAYota
Just seems that the places I've seen something similar done, its a bunch of boxes and seems to make the thread appear out of order some times. Just my opinion. I'm sure there are multiple ways to organize it.

Yeah, while I can see how that would help, I agree w/Ewayota. There is a dog training forum I frequent and it has the reply to. Sometimes it gets messy too cuz you read an answer that makes no sense to the last post. Then you see they are replying to xxx and are like "oh". I think it's better to offer an incentive of $1 to everyone to just use the quote system.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:43 PM

what's the difference between "reply to" and "quote"??

i'm guessing "reply" is not the same thing, as over on Supramania we have "reply" and it also 'quotes' the message just as the "quote" button here does...
Old 02-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
WOW i just found the Multi quote tab button. I have over 4400 posts, and Have always wondered how the hell people multi-quoted without cutting and pasting.

What would be the point of "reply to" In order for anyone to figure out where the comment was directed, wouldn't the orignal text need to be quoted in the post?

If not, you could just hit "post reply".
Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

DeathCougar, usually on a forum that has the reply to it will show the persons name who you are replying to.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
oic. sorta like on club4ag.com

cept its really hard to read
Old 02-12-2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
WOW i just found the Multi quote tab button. I have over 4400 posts, and Have always wondered how the hell people multi-quoted without cutting and pasting.
yeah....WOAH. I didnt know about that and i probably have just as many posts as you on all the vBulletin boards that I use.... learn something new every day i guess!

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
DeathCougar, usually on a forum that has the reply to it will show the persons name who you are replying to.
I absolutely HATE that feature, at least on another type of forum I've seen (rcuniverse) ....its not obvious and then it makes me confused until i remember to check and see if it's a "reply" or just a half-assed post from some inconsiderate person who doesn't care about any current discussion going on.

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
oic. sorta like on club4ag.com

cept its really hard to read
agreed. i dunno what vBulletin does for placement and visibility but i'd be willing to bet it's not easy to notice. quotes, if used responsibly, and cut-down to only include a few sentences, work well. for example i did it to DeathCougar's post

ONE suggestion I have, at least for the layout i'm using, is to make the backgrounds of the quotes a DIFFERENT COLOR, maybe gray, so they are easier to differentiate between them and normal text.

I did just switch from extreme to the original though and it's not so bad. with a black background everything is harder to read.

Last edited by Figit090; 02-12-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Oops I forgot to go back to this post.

No. The Reply To feature does NOT automatically include quotes, or boxes. I do not know what you guys are talking about. I was NOT refering to that.

All the Reply To function does is at the top of each indivdual post, next to the time and date you replied, it says "Re: Name_of_poster", to the person you are replying to.

It's a very simple way, not confusing things.

Its too bad EWAYToyota basically denounced my idea now people probably think its a bad idea. Whatever.

I did a quick search, and here's a good reference:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/show...83/an/0/page/0

Notice the replier has the RE: Original poster. There is nothing else complicated about this.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:03 AM

I like the way roosterteeth.com does it. When you click the Reply button it will put something like...

In reply to SC4Runner, #10

at the first of your post. where SC4Runner is the username of the person your replying to and the #10 is their post number so if your confused you can go look at exactly what post that person replyed to. It really helps cut down on reply boxes and makes everything just that much neater.