Site Feedback Please use this forum to provide feedback, suggestions on the site

PHOTOBUCKET Issue

Old 07-01-2017, 02:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
PHOTOBUCKET Issue

Not sure if this is the right place for this but. . . f​​​​​​From another forum I am on I read that Photobucket is wanting $$$ to host pics and isn't being friendly with linking.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ht=photobucket
Old 07-01-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts

Yes, Photobucket has ruined several threads here and other forums with their new policy. Several threads depend on the pictures that are hosted on Photobucket and no longer show up.

See this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f122.../#post52370096

I, personally have just uploaded my pictures directly to YotaTech without using a separate image hosting site. I have noticed that other problems like rearranging albums on image hosting sites also break the image links and the pictures do not show up.

It has been recommended in the past to use a third party image hosting site many times on Yotatech. I think the idea behind that originally was because forums did not have space to host and store all of the pictures on their own servers. At this point, it seems that there is a good amount of space to upload directly to forums, but I do not know that for a fact.

So far, the only problem I have seen (other accounts, not me personally) with uploading directly to Yotatech is reaching an upload limit, as seen in this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f92/...-limit-298684/
The upload limit problem seems to have been resolved as the Original Poster has not reported back with continuing problems.

I am not sure which way is recommended at this point.... It seems to me that third party image hosting causes more problems than it is worth, or at least with the few pictures that I post, but there could be other reasons (like Internet Brands' server space, or load time) that third party image hosting is still recommended.

I know this post may be like this or this but since it affects so many threads, I think it is important.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Yes photo bucket has gone to poop. We have no control of off site hosting services
Old 07-01-2017, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
I wouldn't know what to recommend, either.

I've downloaded my pics off photobucket and am currently repairing my build thread using Yotatech, hopefully that does the trick. Luckily the downloaded pics retained PB's tag so I've been able to somewhat quickly find and replace with file manager and notepad. It's not fun, but sometimes that's how it goes.
Everywhere else I've posted will be gone but about all of it's in the build thread anyway if it's important enough to someone.

It was a nasty surprise but no way am I letting PB ransom my links for $400 to keep them going.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
I've started using Google Photos. This way I can post both to Yotatech and T4R using exactly same entries. I like my back-ups.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:42 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Russians must have bought Photobucket. If anyone figures out a solution I'll start uploading pictures there. I've always had trouble with Photobucket rearranging pictures so good riddance.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:33 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
I've started using Google Photos. This way I can post both to Yotatech and T4R using exactly same entries. I like my back-ups.
i am going to go that route. i have a few threads that are now fubar thanks to photocrappit. i wrote their customer service says congratulations for make a marginal service now worthless as few people will pay $400 A year. time to right click save as the pics i had there..
Old 07-03-2017, 05:49 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
My pics are still up as far as I can see (maybe you can't tell if it's your own account?). I've been paying for the lowest tier, I think $20/year. I am NOT going to pay $399. All my pics are spread across two computers and some memory cards so they are not lost. I'm mad that long mega helpful threads are screwed among many others. There are many times I just look up my problem and find the answer without having to post about it.

I've checked Photobucket's Twitter and Facebook pages. They are not responding to people. I posted the link to complain to the Colorado State Attorney General's Office and also the phone number of Photobucket so I hope they are flooded with complaints. I don't know anything about internet law but I think what they are doing is like ransomware. They are based in Denver, CO and just got a new (greedy) CEO. This is going over like new Coke. PB: 303-228-5100. I will file a consumer fraud complaint here if they mess with my account: https://coag.gov/file-complaint If nothing else folks, look them up on Facebook and say nasty things to them.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:32 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
While I agree this stinks for anyone who either used PB for there build thread(although I hear folks also host non-Toyota build thread images on PB) or someone researching tech with images, I don't think anyone using PB's free services has a leg to stand on. I get why folks are upset, but you took the pic and uploaded it to them, so you own the pic, they just copied it for you at no charge. Now they do not want to continue giving free services, read the terms and conditions before they changed, and I bet there is a clause that releases their liability if they want to stop hosting images. Don't get me wrong, I hope PB goes out of business for simply going about things this way. I recently went through this with Pix.ie image hosting. Small company, similar to PB, but my job didn't block PIX.ie like they did PB. One day I am updating my build thread, and I can't see my images....low and behold Pix.ie went out of business over night. So I had to re-link & upload all my images to flickr(not the best move but I was desperate to repair my threads), I always had my back up at my house. I
I really hope everyone finds a better and more reliable way to host images for future generations to use. Please do your part and fix any images that are broken, its a long ardiuos task, but if you just nibble away at it diligently, you will get it finished in no time. I am doing my best to make sure my images are up. By the looks of it, maybe i should also upload directly to Yotoatech.
Just my two cents...
Old 07-03-2017, 10:52 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
Originally Posted by RBX
. By the looks of it, maybe I should also upload directly to Yotatech.
Just my two cents
^^ This is what I do, and it completely bypasses any third party image hosting problems. You don't have to worry about policy changes like what photobucket did or links being broken due to pictures being rearranged.

Uploading directly to YotaTech does not guarantee that your images will always be there, but it seems to be the most stable option I have seen, as the thread and pictures are hosted by the same company/sever system.

I have not found a thread that had missing pictures broken links if the picture was uploaded directly to the forum.

From a legal stand point, photobucket probably has the advantage of "terms and conditions" on their side sadly.

This "business move" has affected more than build threads, it has affected basically every forum of every topic you can think of, to some extent. That is a lot of pictures, and a lot of information rendered virtually useless or very difficult to use. This is why this sudden change is a big deal.

We should all do our part to fix our own threads, if possible.

Search this Thread