Site Feedback Please use this forum to provide feedback, suggestions on the site

3 years since this was brought up, maybe now's the time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 3 years since this was brought up, maybe now's the time?

I would like to see a dedicated 2wd subforum here.

Search shows that this has been suggested in some form or another before (just over 3 years ago was the last time it was discussed as a "street" subforum) but, I'd like to bring this topic back up and express some of my views on it as they are a little different from the earlier suggestions.

Here is why I think it should exist, I tried to number the main points but some of it is a little rambly:

1. Some of us with 2wds take or want to eventually take our trucks off-road. I'm not asking that we have a subforum for each generation of 2wd, just a one-stop shop for it.
2. It would be nice to not have to Search what could be considered "common" info on 2wds. Consolidation and stickies would be great.
3. A lot of the other 2wd 'yota sites seem to be becoming very inactive with Toyotaminis seeming to be the only one with an active forums. Also, I am not big on joining loads of forums, too much to keep track of. The folks at TM are nice, but I prefer YT, which I'm sure is a view held by at least a few other 2wd owners. TM seems more for people who aren't looking to off-road their 2wd but to bag and race it. There's some info on TM that I'd like to see here on YT too though as it's not all bagged circle track nuts, more consolidation.
4. A lot of other 4wd forums like to treat 2wd owners as second-class citizens. I've noticed a little bit of this here on YT but not to the same extent as some places which will remain unnamed (No, not pirate, never been there). I've also noticed that "insults" hurled at 2wds here are more in jest than meant to actually insult, unlike other places. If anything, YT is probably be the best place for 2wds to mingle with 4wds.
5. It would give 2wd owners who would otherwise not join YT a reason to join, potentially even giving them the information and confidence they'd need to convert their truck to 4wd. I've been told by a Toyota tech that the 2wd frames are actually the better ones to SAS since they are shaped like the older SFA 4wd frames. Personally I plan on doing it eventually but, not for a good long time.
6. Would help cut down on newbie 2wd question threads in the other subforums. The differences in our trucks can cause some serious issues by following advice meant for a 4wd truck that doesn't apply to 2wd. Not that I'm saying folks are giving out bum advice but the potential is there and I'd hate to see some 2wd owner buy a bunch of stuff that is useless on their truck. I've bought a couple things that I can't use because I did not know.
7. Spark more aftermarket vendors' interest in bringing back, continue making, or creating new parts for 2wds that are gonna find their way off-road instead of at the track. For example the torsion bars I'm still waiting on from Sway-A-Way might end up never being made, they are an extremely low volume product and I've been told flat out there's a big chance they could be discontinued leaving coilover conversion as the only option. I'm sure 2wd owners looking into IFS upgrades would like to know this before they order parts, I wish I had known before I ordered.
8. Get folks who own 2wds and would otherwise not know about or be interested in off-roading, interested. It would probably lead to at least some buying 4wds/SASing and becoming contributing members in the other subforums.
9. Discuss techniques on how to take our 2wds out without getting them stuck.

I also volunteer to mod said subforum. While I freely admit to having abused mod powers on numerous websites in the past I also mean it when I say that I would not do that kind of crap here since I'd like to see such a subforum prosper and become a part of the community. Of course, I'm also sure I'm not all that well-liked or trusted by some of the staff and members here so maybe one of the other 2wd owners can be asked to step up to the plate. Honestly I don't care about this as much as I care about not feeling so out of place here.

Last edited by Magnusian; 04-28-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
maybe it's time for YOU to get a 4wd so you can join in on all the fun, lol. j/k, i could see a 2wd forum being useful.

maybe if YT adds in a 2wd subforum, then CraigsList will listen to my gazillion e-mails suggesting they make motorcycles and motorcycle parts separate
Old 04-29-2011, 12:55 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
No guarantees on if/when it will happen but it is a possibility...
Old 04-29-2011, 02:14 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Scroll down
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f60/

We were discussing this yesterday after I saw this thread.

Just one section, I do not think there is a need to divide it up into multiple sections for different years at this point in time.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:15 AM

Awesome!

Might I suggest this thread as a candidate for move and sticky?
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...thread-183959/

I have some others bookmarked at home and will post the links when I get there. Should I suggest threads to be moved here or in the new subforum?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

I agree, I think it would cut down on the "I want to off road my 2wd, what do I need?" and the "How do I convert my 2wd to 4wd?" posts that seem to be asked by new members every other week.

edit: Sorry I just saw that a new folder was created, so disregard my input.

Last edited by James Woods; 04-29-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by James Woods
I agree, I think it would cut down on the "I want to off road my 2wd, what do I need?" and the "How do I convert my 2wd to 4wd?" posts that seem to be asked by new members every other week.

edit: Sorry I just saw that a new folder was created, so disregard my input.
What if I want to convert my 4wd into 2wd and prerun it. Which do I post in the 2wd or the 4wd section?
Old 04-29-2011, 11:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
here is another gem of a truck that could be featured in the 2wd forum as well. I think most of us have drooled over this truck. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...-truck-148369/
Old 04-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
What if I want to convert my 4wd into 2wd and prerun it. Which do I post in the 2wd or the 4wd section?

I think that would be put in the oil cap thread.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
I'd suppose a place commonly-considered to be located underground would be the right place.

I know I haven't updated it in awhile but perhaps my axle thread could be moved to the new section as well. It does contain some part information that could be useful to others and I'll be making an update to it sometime in the next couple weeks once I get the diff sorted out.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnusian

I have some others bookmarked at home and will post the links when I get there. Should I suggest threads to be moved here or in the new subforum?
Ok moved those two threads, need to go back and stick the lift thread.

** in the future send me or another mod a pm if you want a thread moved (or think is should be moved) DON'T make you request here, it was pure chance I checked this thread.***

Last edited by dropzone; 05-03-2011 at 08:38 AM.