The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Yes, another buildup thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, another buildup thread

Im sure everyone is sick of these threads, but here is another one anyway.

I drug this home a few nights ago:

And a daytime shot:

Its an 85, extended cab, SR5, blah blah blah. It is not fuel injected, as of right now it has a weber 38DGAS carb, downey header, and a cam in it. But doesnt run. This PO was also a hack, everything he did on this truck was a hackjob. From the POS bumpers, the roofing tar smeared over the windsheild, the electric fuel pump with no filters or regulator, to the wiring nightmare that exists everywhere on this truck. Needless to say, this truck needs help, major help.

Now that the bad is out of the way, lets look at the good. The cab is in great shape, no rust anywhere, it is solid. Only has 77K miles on it. And the frame, this is probobally the best frame i have seen in the salt belt, most of it doesnt even have any surface rust on it.

I started tearing into it yesterday, my goal was to figure out why it didnt run. New starter, alternator, and i picked up one of the relatively new Exide Orbitals instead of an Optima. Got all that on, and then did a general tune up. Found one cross threaded spark plug, #3 At that point it had been dark for a couple hours, so i threw in the towel.

Day 2:

Didnt get much done today, taking care of the head ate up a large portion of my day. Front and rear bumpers have been cut off, head is repaired and the loctite is setting up, interior is half gutted, fuel pump is back on-line, and the roll bar is unbolted. While trying to take it out on my own I overdid it and now im laid up on the couch Rolling Eyes

Tommarow ill be taking it easy, im going to get rid off all the HVAC parts and components, and all wiring that doesnt work and that i dont need. What gas is in the tank is probobally 2 years old, and bad. I can get it to fire a couple times on starting fluid and 3 cylinders, but each cylinder only fires 1-2 times and then its done. Ill have to drain the rest of the tank and put some fresh fuel in it, add a couple fuel filters since there are none, and a fuel pressure regulator.

Heres the junk i got cut off of it today:

And yes, i know it has a flat tire.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry about the huge pics.

Anyway, plans for the truck are pretty typical of a Toy build these days. Dual cases, 4.7 in the rear case, longfields/alloy shafts, detroit up front, spool rear, you know the drill. It will end up on boggers and beadlocks of some sort, since a lot of the terrain arround here is muddy. The debate is between 37x13's and 38.5x11's.

To do something at least a little different, i want to narrow the front, and then bob and narrow the bed. I plan on brining the forward edges of the fenders in to where the grill ends now. So pretty much to the framerails. Move the headlights into the outer two sections of the grill, and just leave the center section of the grill in place. I want to push the radiator back towards the motor so i can build a winch mount/bumper right off the top of the framerails in front, for a better approach angle. Im not sure if i will be able to move the radiator back towards the engine at all, though, as then i run into the steering box. I will have to see how far forward i want to push the front axle. I will probobally run Marlin's new springs in the front, the rear is still in the air.

I would like to do a full exo, but due to time constraints i may just do an internal cage for the cab, and then just some light armor arround the fenders and rockers that would be tied into the bumpers. I want to have this wheelable by Fathers day at the latest.

All the work will be done in my driveway, as my garage is to small to work in. Every part of this build will be done outside, on the ground.

Last edited by joez; 04-30-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Have fun and keep posting pics as you progress. I for one don't get sick of the build-up threads...that is about all I really look for these days. All the rest are bling!

Old 05-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

The head is being repaired where the PO stripped the exhaust manifold bolt holes, part of the dash is pulled, including his dissaster stereo wiring and horrible install. T-case is going to stay out for a while, bassically until i get the t-case gears and adapter. Im seriously considering going with an MC08 so i can get a little more belly clearance, but am not sure if i can justify the extra cost yet.

In the last pic you can see the homemade shock hoops, which are probobally the only thing worth keeping that the PO built. I'm willing to bet that he had them made and then installed them himself, they look way to well made compared to the rest of his crap fabrication. I wont be running dual shocks, but i can still use the hoops.

I would have gotten more work done but got a suprise visit from an old friend on sunday, so i called it a day way early.

Parts are on order from Summit Racing, new inline fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filters, and some line. I probobally should have waited to order, as i now want more gauges.

Last edited by joez; 05-02-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:56 PM

Awesome, are you sure on the boggers, when my buddy ran the boggers on his cruiser he slid sideways alot, thats why I got TSL's. Anywho looks good.

Oh and if ya need any help Im only 15 min away. and on sundays Im about 2 min away.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

100% positive on boggers. I run TSL's now, and while i am very happy with them, they dont work near as well at the cliffs as the boggers, and there isnt much difference in the rocks. I will probobally pick up a set of SX's in the future to have 2 sets of tires to switch between, but for now ill just run the boggers. If this was going to get driven on the road more, i would go with TSL's or SX's right off the bat and get boggers later, but this probobally wont see much if any road miles, mostly just putting arround town, and occasionally to the trail when i feel adventurous. I could also run the TSL's i have now if i wanted to.

Ill be out working on it all weekend if you wanted to stop by, wont be doing anything huge unless i order suspension parts this week, then ill be pulling and tearing down the front axle. You wouldnt have to turn any wrenches or anything, but you could check out the project.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:33 PM

Let the deep pockets begin draining! I can't wait to see the progress!

Chris
Old 05-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ravencr
Let the deep pockets begin draining! I can't wait to see the progress!

Chris
Thats for sure

At this point im glad ive scrounged and saved for as long as i have waiting for something to spend it all on. It was either going to go into the K5 and a tow rig/trailer, or into a new trail rig.

MC08 is now ruled out, i dont think the extra cost will be worth it. The truck should have a relatively flat belly as is, at least flat enough for me and the wheeling i will be doing. More parts are on order, ill post up pictures and lists as it all arrives and gets installed. Im still shooting for the end of may/ early june, and Fathers Day at the latest to have it on the trail.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:02 PM

Good luck on it!

Chris
Old 05-04-2005, 11:32 AM

It looks like you got your work cut out for you...and man if that isnt a hack job, then i dont know what is.

If you decide to move the radiator back, pull the fan, and put in electrics. They'll let you get more hp and you can control them if you put in a switch.

Good Luck
Old 05-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

You shoulda seen the bumpers, they were scary.

As for the radiator, if its going back, it will go back almost all the way to the pulleys, and ovbiously will have an electric puller fan in front of it. I need to get an IFS steering box first and mock it up, though, to see if moving it that far back and the box forward would actually work. I have a feeling it wont, but im going to try anyway.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:09 PM

looks good man.
i hope you are still comin to the badlands next weekend
PM me where ya live. Ill be testing out the AMX we built in new lenox on sunday, If I get some time Ill swing by.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4rnr
looks good man.
i hope you are still comin to the badlands next weekend
PM me where ya live. Ill be testing out the AMX we built in new lenox on sunday, If I get some time Ill swing by.
Badlands is looking pretty bleak right now, it will depend on what comes in this weekend and next week and how much work i get done on this truck. If i need the day to work on the truck, i wont make it. If i can get away and still finish it when i want, then ill be there.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Buddy of mine decided to drop by this morning, so we went ahead and got the front axle out of it. Unfortunately, i had nowhere to go with it now that it was out of the truck. So i had to clean out my garage (it was due anyway), and made space to work on the axle. Got a good chunk of the unwanted bracketry roughly cut off, tie rod in the garbage, but since dinner was ready at this point i called it a night.

Carb is also off now, it was leaking gas into the intake manifold, so it will get rebuilt. My delivery from summit came, so tommarow i will install the new fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure guage. I even got a free hat.

Old 05-07-2005, 04:22 PM

Where's the hat? :-)
Old 05-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice to see another build up thread making some progress...some days I just want to run my junk off a cliff...but I'm glad I haven't!

It is fun most days...

Looking good but you got a lot of work ahead of you!

Old 05-07-2005, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to see another weber carb at least I know I am not alone.
Hey goodluck with the project I know I am having fun with mine. That damn weber carb adapter plate sucks I had to seal it 2x's before I got all the leaks out of it.
I got my rebuild kit for my weber from http://www.carburetion.com/

Last edited by 934rnr; 05-07-2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Contributing Member

I know the webers can be very problematic, but i know the guy over at Midwest Performance . Im going to bring the carb over to him during the week and have him rebuild and modify it, he does good work with webers. Ive wheeled with him a few times and seen how well his modifications work on the trail, so i trust his work.

Hopefully ill get the fuel system taken care of tommarow, maybe the rest of the garbage cut off the axle as well. I know i wont get a whole lot of time to work on it tommarow, being mothers day and all. Theres a LOT of work left on it, but the good news is that i finish my finals up on Tuesday, so i'll have a lot of free time over the next couple weeks to get the work done.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Nice lookin build up...I'm another one that never gets sick of build up threads...just more motvation to get off my ass and make some money!
Old 05-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

You know what i hate? Waiting for parts. All my axle stuff should come in either late this week, or early next. 30-spline longfields and inner shafts, spool for the rear, and a detroit for the front, and the install kits. The rest of the drivetrain stuff from Marlin, that should be next week.

The carb is off getting rebuilt/modified, the intake manifold getting ported and opened up, and i have started laying out the dash. The stock cluster will remain, but it is a non-tach cluster. The tach, switches and other gauges will all be set in diamondplate where the orriginal HVAC controls and stereo pocket was. There will be no HVAC or stereo in this truck, ever.

I have made a change of plans, though. Since i want to tear it down again this fall and do the real build up, i have decided on 35x10.5 boggers. They are cheaper, will sell easier when i go bigger, will fit on the 3" lift with the axles in their stock locations, and will work with the stock rims until i order my beadlocks in late June/early July.

Ill wheel it on the 35's all summer, and by the time fall rolls arround the body will most likely be pretty hammered and it will probobally be in dire need of new springs. Thats when it will most likely get truggy'd. I should have no problem getting it wheelable by the second week of june now, unless i find something horribly wrong with the motor.

Quick Reply: Yes, another buildup thread