The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Yes, another buildup thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joez
Mine are mounted on 15x5.5" steelies. Except for todays blowout, i LOVE these tires. I only wish Interco made a bogger on this carcass, as their 35x10.5 runs real small. After 22K miles, they still have good tread, and still measure 35.25" tall. Ive got a lot of outdated pics on cardomain, a lot of people request info and pics on these tires and thats a good place to host them.

Mine are grooved as well, it helps in the rocks and on the road.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/670547/1

If you are seriously looking for a set of Q78-16's, PM me, i may be able to find you a set.
Wow, 5.5" wide. I was thinking 7" wide rims, but what do you think is best? What kind of trail pressure do you run? I'm going to get a set of these for sure, but I've got to trim some fenders and figure out what size wheel and what backspacing to run for my vehicle.

Chris
Old 06-02-2005, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

7" wide rims work just fine with these. If i run these on the Toyota ill be running them on 7" wide rims, until i can spring for the 8" wide beadlocks. I like the 5.5" wide because i can air down to 8psi without loosing a bead, and thats while wheeling a 6K pound plus truck. But they do suck the tires in to far under the fenders, which has caused quite a bit of body damage on this truck, unfortunately.

Just for reference, on the second page, the other tires they are being compared to are 33x12.5" BFG's.

Last edited by joez; 06-02-2005 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:58 AM

Thanks Joe! I can't wait to get them. Why don't you do what I'm going to do and get the Staun internal beadlocks on 7" rims?

Chris
Old 06-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

Because the Stauns cost to much money. We tested a set on a friends TJ over the winter for Staun, there are pics of them in action in my webshots. I like the idea, the quality of them is superb, but the cost just kills them. Especially when i plan on stepping up to a 38.5x11 bogger by this fall, ill need about 2" of BS and possibly even wheelspacers to clear my springs, and the 15x7's i have wont work for that. Eaton 15x8 beadlocks are only $129, and i can get them in the backspacing i need.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:11 PM

Because the Stauns cost to much money. We tested a set on a friends TJ over the winter for Staun, there are pics of them in action in my webshots. I like the idea, the quality of them is superb, but the cost just kills them. Especially when i plan on stepping up to a 38.5x11 bogger by this fall, ill need about 2" of BS and possibly even wheelspacers to clear my springs, and the 15x7's i have wont work for that. Eaton 15x8 beadlocks are only $129, and i can get them in the backspacing i need.
I understand, but I wouldn't own the Eaton Beadlocks, myself, too cheap for my blood but I could be way wrong.

Chris
Old 06-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

They are cheap, but they are good beadlocks. Sure, they arent shinney or aluminum, but no sense spending all that extra money to have good looking rims, only to ruin them off-road. This truck wont see any regular DD duty, and doesnt have to look good. Besides, i like steel rims, but thats just my personal preference.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:38 AM

They are cheap, but they are good beadlocks. Sure, they arent shinney or aluminum, but no sense spending all that extra money to have good looking rims, only to ruin them off-road. This truck wont see any regular DD duty, and doesnt have to look good. Besides, i like steel rims, but thats just my personal preference.
I could care less what they look like too, but I had heard some not-so-good words on Pirate about them not being all that good when it comes to beadlocks. I will be getting the cheapest set of Rockcrawlers I can get, but if these Eaton Beadlocks come in a 7" wide wheel, I might get them for my Q78's.

Chris
Old 06-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ravencr
...........on Pirate.........
I read the same things about them on pirate, but from nobody who actually runs them.

The two samurai's run unmodified Eaton's, the bronco's have been drilled for 32 bolts. The green sammi and bronco pics were taken at the Top Shop event we competed in not to long ago, the white sammi taken on our last trip to the Cliffs. Several other's i wheel with have bartlock weld on kits, which are the same thing, but the do it yourself weld on's are no longer sold.

Like i said, they are not the greatest, but they certainly work just fine.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:53 AM

That's cool, and I'm sure that's somewhat or more than often the case over on that blowhard site anyway. I like this forum a ton better, even though we're just now becoming more adverse to the more hardcore stuff.

Chris
Old 06-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

... even though we're just now becoming more adverse to the more hardcore stuff.

Chris
It has been said before, no one is born with this knowledge. baby steps. YT rocks and not just the advice and opinions. We have a ton of specs, info and WRITEUPS. Oh the writeups...well written and with pictures.

Great build up. Joez, you don't waste any time.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

That's cool, and I'm sure that's somewhat or more than often the case over on that blowhard site anyway. I like this forum a ton better, even though we're just now becoming more adverse to the more hardcore stuff.

Chris
Same here. This forum has a lot better atmosphere, and most of the time people. Pirate has its uses, about 90% of the parts for this toy were bought from vendors over there, but for me thats about its only good one(some of them have AWESOME prices). That and the giveaway's. The hardcore tech is there, but you really have to sift through a lot of BS to find it, and that gets old after a while.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:19 AM

Are you talking PORC?

Chris
Old 06-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

I wasnt specifically, but they do have unbeatable prices on their lockers, winches are pretty hard to beat, too.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:12 AM

I'm looking at PORC and Peak ZJ.

Chris
Old 06-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

My order got botched at PORC, which i wasnt to thrilled about, but everything worked out in the end so i really couldn't care less anymore. My spool and detroit were downright cheap compared to everybody else, and i had all but the one install kit, which wasnt on the invoice, within 3 days of ordering it. If you order from them, call and ask for Alex and order through him, i wouldnt recomend ordering online.

I picked up my carb and intake manifold today, man does Sarge over at Midwest Performance do nice work (shameless plug). The carb and manifold look better than brand new, they definately wont match the rest of the truck Should practically run on its side, too.

Ill snap a pic as soon as i get it installed. I should have it running soon.

Last edited by joez; 06-04-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Yesterday when i stopped:

Today ~ 6:00

When i ran out of daylight:

The motor is pretty much together and done now. I should have opened up the ports on the head while i was in there, but oh well. Im not shooting for gobs of horsepower, but she should run out pretty good.

Ive got some stuff to take care of tommarow still before I get it running, like wiring the fuel pump, running fuel line, hooking up vaccum lines and heater hoses. I also need to fabricate some blockoff plates for the EGR ports, but that is not something that needs to be done to get it running. Barring any more unforseen household issues or weather problems, it should be ready to try and start by noon tommarow.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:40 AM

Looks good man! Ya having fun yet?

Chris
Old 06-10-2005, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine looks nice. Makes me wish I painted my valve cover. Are you just going to run the advance vaccum line on the distributor?
Ideally you should run both you can just plum the other vaccum line for the distributor into the manifold somewhere.
I would just chop the air valve tubes and weld the ports shut. I did that to my exhaust manifold air tubes.
You could do the same deal to the EGR stuff too chop it off weld them shut. Works the same as a block off plate until you can get one.

Last edited by 934rnr; 06-10-2005 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

I just had to be lazy and not pull the head before. Today tried to get it to start, and it just wouldnt fire. Compression was way low. Can you see why?

Old 06-11-2005, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no headgasket?

Quick Reply: Yes, another buildup thread