The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Welding on vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welding on vehicle

I am in the planning process for a plate bumper and was wondering what precautions you guys take when welding on the vehicle. Do you disconnect the battery, computer, ect.? I know I will be starting with the frame brackets and building out and don't want to fry anything.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:56 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
It's common practice to disconnect the battery. However, I've read from some highly regarded members from this and other forums that it is not necessary. That said, the reasoning behind that is not to weld too far away from wherever you ground the welder. Ie, don't put your ground strap on one end of the truck and then weld on the other end of the truck. You'll fry stuff that way. I've welded sliders, the bed bob, and a crossmember bracket all without any electrical issues. Just keep the ground close to the weld.
YMMV.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:09 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Don't weld around shocks.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 PM

dont weld around radiators
Old 06-05-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keep the heat away from bushings, ask me how I know.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
Don't weld around gas tanks.......lolz
Old 06-05-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I disconnect the battery just to be safe.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:35 PM

just got done mocking up and doing some welding with my front bumper on the rig. had no problems but i do wish i would of had something from having the splatter flying all over the place and marking my hood and headlights, so if u have some type of flare proof or retartant stuff might want to lay that across the hood area.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Banned

I would recommend using a fan to draw out Gasoline Fumes that may accumulate under the truck from the Gas tank, just in case. Either than that, just protect the paint, and anything that may melt, and the parts that weld spatter may ruin. In many cases just wrapping aluminum foil around parts will be an easy way to prevent weld spatter from sticking. Just a thought.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by PadgettFabrication
I would recommend using a fan to draw out Gasoline Fumes that may accumulate under the truck from the Gas tank, just in case. Either than that, just protect the paint, and anything that may melt, and the parts that weld spatter may ruin. In many cases just wrapping aluminum foil around parts will be an easy way to prevent weld spatter from sticking. Just a thought.
Good advice. Never even considered the aluminum foil. Thanks for the tip
Old 06-05-2011, 08:53 PM

cardboard works in a pinch too but it has an unfortunate tendency to catch fire
Old 06-06-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
just got done mocking up and doing some welding with my front bumper on the rig. had no problems but i do wish i would of had something from having the splatter flying all over the place and marking my hood and headlights, so if u have some type of flare proof or retartant stuff might want to lay that across the hood area.
Thanks for this reminder, I would have probably been to excited and not thought about this.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im with scuba on this one, use some common sense and be careful and you'll be fine. i couldnt tell you how many times ive welded on a vehicle without disconnecting anything.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:00 AM

Undercoating + molten metal + awesome flame effect shooting out of your frame rails.
Keep an extinguisher handy if you don't manage to scrape all that crap off from around anywhere you're burning metal.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

This is interesting we always pulled off the negative battery cable way back when before vehicles had computers.

I guess it is still a habit I would rather be safe then have to buy a new computer and alternator from being stupid.

It is one thing to weld on your vehicle but someone else`s vehicle why take the chance.

I always used wet cotton rags to protect paint and glass etc
Old 06-09-2011, 04:48 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Harbor Freight has big welding blankets cheap. I've got like a 10'x10' and I use it all the time. It's fire retardant not fire proof.

I've seen more glass and paint burnt or ruined from idiots grinding and shooting sparks than welding.

Fire extinguishers are a must. I've got at least 4 in my shop.
Only had to use one and it made a god awful mess!

Always disconnect the battery just for insurance.

Almost all the fluids in/on a truck burn so be careful.

Common sense will keep you out of a lot of trouble so use it.

:wabbit2:
Old 06-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Banned

I remember one Bonehead moment I had, I was welding on an over-the-cab Box on my 3/4 ton which had a huge brush bed on it... I didn't consider all if the tiny bits of spatter that was sticking to the unprotected glass...That is until a large blob slid down the window and came to rest at the window seal... I brushed it off , but the Glass instantly shattered in place. Chalk one up for an expensive lesson...
Old 06-09-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Magnusian
Undercoating + molten metal + awesome flame effect shooting out of your frame rails.
Keep an extinguisher handy if you don't manage to scrape all that crap off from around anywhere you're burning metal.
i saw some molten undercoating drip on my buddies hand when he was heating something up under a car and it was pretty rough looking haha
Old 06-09-2011, 06:25 PM

disconnect the battery. i've fried a battery on my dodge when i patched up some holes in the bed. you can also fry your TPS, bearings, etc. it burns a hole in the ribbon of the TPS and can pit the races from arcing across the balls.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

There was one person that when the engine went on his welding truck was told by the mechanic that the magnetic fields caused by the welder caused the crank to become magnetic and caused all the metal particles in the oil to stick to the crank taking out the bearing material.There are a whole lot of welding trucks that get quite a few miles.

Another thing if you do field welding you just gotta have the vise on the back of the truck even if you never use it.

At that time when you strike an arc on the weldment in the vise you are welding on a vehicle yours!!

Now I had mine insulated from the rest of the vehicle yes bolts and all just to be safe. But how many people take the time to do this if it is a company service truck.

Quick Reply: Welding on vehicle