The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

turning a propane tank into a gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've searched before and pretty sure I have never found a thread on this being done. I may be wrong and if so I guess I note it to my amateur status here. Hopefully I can get some good advice and maybe give some people some ideas.

#1 cheap and durable fuel cell that looks good
#2 I want to do the work myself
#3 search the scrap yards

I found a $20 propane tank with all the fitting insets I should need to make this work (fuel line out/on bottomish, larger hole for fill spot, small hole for breather). My only presumed issue will be the fuel line outlet a quarter of the way up on the tank.

Questions comments and concerns would be greatly appreciated. Also I have somehow overlooked all rules and regulations please let me know.

turning a propane tank into a gas tank-forumrunner_20130904_111807.png

turning a propane tank into a gas tank-forumrunner_20130904_111744.png

Last edited by BAGear; 09-04-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Interesting idea... you want to be very careful doing things to old propane tanks there may be residue left behind and interior rust can be an issue also. You'll need to be sure the tank is absolutely empty before you try to do any cutting/drilling on it.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:37 AM

I've definitely released all the pressure I assume I could just put an air hose up to one side. other than that I imagine I would just throw a match and run right? Theoretically could be a good idea (not the match thing) but I figure I'll coat the inside and powder coat/rustolium the outside.. nice thing is with all the fittings I should not have to do any cutting or drilling.. thanks for the food for thought
Old 09-04-2013, 09:53 AM

As stated above be careful cutting into it. You can fill it with water and then cut. I turned one into a air compressor tank for my service truck. Don't try to.purge the tank with air. Use some type of inert gas. Purging with air makes it more dangerous when cutting.

If you're using it.for gasoline id recommend cutting it in half. Prepping the inside with tank restorer used for motorcycle tanks . If the inside looks alright and you'd rather not cut it just add more fuel filters to be safe.

Last edited by gigatech88; 09-04-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:09 PM

A good idea, just be careful! Like gigatech88 says, fill it with water before cutting into it. An old crazy neighbor of mine decided to make a huge set of wind chimes out of some old 100# tanks. He took the valves out and let them set/air out for a few weeks. Figuring he was good, he proceeded to make a rough cut in the first one with his torches. The tank ignited and took off like a rocket, shooting over 100 yards into my yard, and landed right where I normally am working on my projects (luckily I wasn't working on anything at the time!) Kinda cool, but SCARY! He filled the remaining atnk with water and cut them with a sawzall and had no more problems. Moral is, be extra careful, and make sure you are doing it right. Good luck on the fuel tank though, looks like you have the right idea!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:24 PM

I can tell you from building bbq smokers outta propane tanks it needs to sit open for about 3 months for it to be safe.and you will need to paint the inside or you'll have rust chips in your gas in about a week . Youd probably do better with a water heater tank cause there generally coated on the inside already
Old 09-05-2013, 09:50 AM

Thank you very much everyone. Obviusly i have a few options to weigh out on this next. Slow build!? Hopefully ill have some idea on it coming soon. Hopingbto getbthe last 'fill' nozle off ofnit today. They have been soaking in blaster but they are crazy stuck. Should be fun. I appriciate all of the advice.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:27 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just curious ??

Where do you plan to mount your tank??

Well a inside tank pump is out so plumbing the pump .

know you need a good sized vent tied into your fill neck or it will take forever to get a few gallons of gas in .

Remember volume of air out needs to be able to keep up with volume of gas in.

Getting the fittings out will be interesting

This most be something your doing for fun till you figure the time spent a fuel cell would be cheaper.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just curious ??

Where do you plan to mount your tank??

Well a inside tank pump is out so plumbing the pump .

know you need a good sized vent tied into your fill neck or it will take forever to get a few gallons of gas in .

Remember volume of air out needs to be able to keep up with volume of gas in.

Getting the fittings out will be interesting

This most be something your doing for fun till you figure the time spent a fuel cell would be cheaper.
Thanks you just reminded me..

Removing the fittings.

Get some pb blaster and soak the fittings.
Heat the fittings up with map gas(pretty damn dangerous if the vapor isn't out of the cylinder)
Get a crescent wrench or an appropriate box end wrench and hold it on the fitting.
Beat the "handle" end with a hammer.
That usually works for older tanks.

Repeat if it didn't work the first time.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by gigatech88
Thanks you just reminded me..

Removing the fittings.

Get some pb blaster and soak the fittings.
Heat the fittings up with map gas(pretty damn dangerous if the vapor isn't out of the cylinder)
Get a crescent wrench or an appropriate box end wrench and hold it on the fitting.
Beat the "handle" end with a hammer.
That usually works for older tanks.

Repeat if it didn't work the first time.
We usely use pb blaster and a pipe wrench with about a 4ft long cheater bar
Old 09-08-2013, 04:49 PM

Pretty new at posting and on a tablet so not Uptodate on quoting people . But here it is by order of entry.

Wyo9 (i lived in Laramie for 4 years)
Q1. Its a buggy so im aquiring scrap materials for the bed. Expanded steel with braces and hinges so i can see and access the under parts. Building braces to mount the tank against cab frame. Pic1
Q2. No pump on the current tank so i figure im good?
Q3. Vents. P.O. has a 5 gallon jerry can with no vent and it works just fine. picture to is all the fittings on top. I will be venting it. Biggest issue will be the size of fill hole. 1" vent will help?
Q4. Fitting were a beast pic 2 & 3. Soaked in PB and used a BFW with a BFH and just torked those puppies. Chris Ledux was my keep um goin music.
This truck just got a major death wobble and my front axles past due for a major rebuild (thinking LROR rebuild comments?) So I have the time lol.. its my therapy from my home business

Gigatech88
PB was the ticket and trying again and again of course. Have an oxy torch butbthey scared the ctap out of me up there so thankfully i didnt get too excited..alot of clamp it the the table and lean (row like a boat sort of lean)

Thanks yall. Itll be a slow build since im inbthe middle of a gew things since im inbthe middle of soo many projects auto and not.
Okay cant add photos ill getbthem in a bit

Last edited by BAGear; 09-08-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:47 PM

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...o/DSCN3716.jpg

Tank one 1" port(fuel inlet), two 3/4" ports(vent and gauge), one 1/4" port(plugged) mounts for bracket.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...o/DSCN3712.jpg

Bed of the buggy. tank will be mounted under bed even with the current jerry can. Plans for the bed are expanded steel with brackets and access hinges in the middle for visibility and sheet steel on the outside. Or whatever is cheapest really..

Finally figured this picture thing out sort of so yeah. ill figure out for to imbed them tomorrow hopefully. I have no idea how I did it the first time.

Last edited by BAGear; 09-09-2013 at 02:33 AM. Reason: im an idiot
Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I take it this will be fueled by pouring gas in from 5 gallon containers and never from any sort of pump .
Old 09-10-2013, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I take it this will be fueled by pouring gas in from 5 gallon containers and never from any sort of pump .
Im curious your reasoning?
Im working through a few ideas based loosely off the jerry can system. Lots of fun haha no reason I can't work I just have to figure out how to make it.

Cleaned the tank out last night with some rust annihilater product. Not bad in there AT ALL!!
Going to do it again tomorow then coat the tank. Havent decided on product yet.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 AM

Well its been awhile. Got distracted with life, rebuilding axles and trying to find proper lugs. (kind of a mess) neway
#1 Not sure I saved any money but costs about the same as fuel cell
#2 Did the dango work myself
#3 Tank was from a scrap yard, One Craigslist tool box, One filler neck off a Uhaul, and alotta nick nack parts from the hardware store.

I will do my best to calculate the cost after all is said and done. Working on the hoses and fittings is the last step. Going to attempt to plumb the fill and vents through the old tool box I picked up.

Pictures
$20 2x5 steel tube (remnant)
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...o/DSCN4378.jpg

Sits just slightly above the rail height. Building a flat bed to box it in.
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...o/DSCN4379.jpg

$40 tool box. Will be mounted above tank to allow fill nozzle to be plumbed and hidden. As well being used as a dango tool box!
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...o/DSCN4380.jpg