The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Rear Tire Carrier Pivot Point

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Tire Carrier Pivot Point

So I am finally building the rear bumper for my 85 Runner. I plan on a tire and jerry can swing-away type carrier. There seem to be two options for the pivot, a small, single point vertical pivot or a tall post with upper and lower attachment points. Does anyone have any recomendations/ideas/sources so I can wrap up this project with a cool looking, functional, strong, durable, and rattle free design? I am also looking for ideas for securing the other side.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slee offroad carrier hings. $95, but as near to indestructable as you can get.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:43 PM

Rocklogic4x4 sells the same basic design as the slee one, but for half the price. I have seen this one in person and it is BEEFY and solid!

http://www.rocklogic4x4.com/store/in...5&prevstart=24

Old 03-09-2006, 03:08 PM

Ahhh, you guys come thru again. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid
Rocklogic4x4 sells the same basic design as the slee one, but for half the price. I have seen this one in person and it is BEEFY and solid!

http://www.rocklogic4x4.com/store/in...5&prevstart=24

Like this one:

Which became this one:

Another shot:

Details here: http://sonoransteel.com/rearbumper.html

Cheapest is not always best.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Banned

yup.

if a tire breaks off on the highway, no biggie to you, right??? WRONG!

that tire/wheel/carrier/steel becomes a missle moving at 50, 60, 70MPH at oncoming traffic.

can you live with the death of others to save $40 and cut corners on a bumper?

steve was lucky that his failed from FATIGUE while offroad and not on Hwy 60 on the way to the trail.

besides, that rockSTOMPER (edit for correct name) hinge one is nothing but a simple trailer spindle and hub assembly that you can buy for $20 online. why pay them $40 if you want to go cheap and risk others on the road and your future (since a jury would easily rule against you during the civil litigation that would surely ensue).

Last edited by bamachem; 03-09-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:14 PM

Tch

I usually don't get to the forums much, but a potential customer informed me of this thread so I decided to set the record straight.

I have sold over 1,000 TCH's and I have only herd back so far that one has broken! RockLogic4x4's hinge was not the one in those pictures (that was several years ago) and was not just some spindle that we mark up double to our customers. I have seen some poorly mounted TCH's and latches hold up just fine. We machine our sleeves to ensure the proper seating of the spindle bearings. If Installed correctly one should expect the hinge to last a very long time Now I will state that nothing is BULLET PROOF, however I do know that this is our top selling product and has proven itself over and over through the years. I am not here to brag about my products, however I will defend them. I think a 99% success rate for a product is pretty darn good! How many products do you know of that have that success rate?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Banned

sorry. i owe you an apology for not catching the name difference - your RockLOGIC vs the RockSTOMPER hinge that broke.

the rockSTOMPER hinge is the one that's a cheap die-cast trailer spindle that is simply marked up and passed on as a hinge assembly.

i personally don't know of any issues with the rockSTOMPER hinges.

i decided to go w/ the slee hinge after doing my homework on which one was the beefiest, most over-built, and as near to bullet-proof as possible. a fully machined 1.75" diameter spindle shaft turned from hardened steel isn't going anywhere...

oh, and if it is in fact only 1 failure in 1000, then you have a 99.9% success rate.

what was the failure? details of installation and size/location of tire or the length of the lever arm from the hinge to the center of mass? what was the situation? offroad or on? was it impact or fatigue? did you get the pieces back and have it analyzed to determine what went wrong?

Last edited by bamachem; 03-09-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, rock stomper isn't the way to go. Many have had problems with that. Never heard of rock logic, so can't comment there. The slee spindle is pretty bombproof, as Andy said, and worth the bucks.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

The Slee spindles are much beefier than the others available out there, I think the smaller ones are fine as long as you're not putting larger than a 35" tire on it and the other side is held down tightly, when adding jerry cans and a high lift jack and any other options, I would definatly use slee's spindle, or build your own double shear hinge. I believe that another contributing factor to a smaller spindle failing is the way it is mounted on the other side, most people use a cam latch or fireman catch, these are super user freindly but I don't think they hold things tight enough to take stress away from the spindle, we use a LARGE wing nut type assembly that holds things TIGHT, our tire carriers don't wiggle at all! distributing the stress equally over the two attachment points is critical for the life of the tire carrier, bumper and frame, if they wiggle at all it will resonate through the frame of the truck, not only annoying you while driving, but throwing alot of stress on the frame, and body mounts. have fun
Old 03-10-2006, 07:18 AM

I appreciate your apology, but didn't think it was owed. It was just a misunderstanding! The TCH was mounted on a cherokee and the Tire was mounted 32" above the TCH. The customer thought it was up and out of the way. It was but created a huge breaker bar on the TCH and it was a matter of time before it broke. There were no upper supports to the assembly and when you put a 38" tire that high it acts like a sail in the wind!