The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Rear axle options

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear axle options

Looking for opinions from those of you that have tried things and either liked or hated them. I'm thinking I need to redo the rear axle on my 85 runner (again). My second set of leafs got me the right amount of lift but kinda suck for flex. They are custom packs so I can only blame myself. What I was thinking is possibly swapping in a 3rd gen rear axle. I think I know of a donor, and I could cut the majority of it out and weld it into my rig, giving me coil springs and a wider stance. I haven't bothered to measure yet to see if anything would line up with my frame, so I'm just in the thinking stage right now. I'm open to ideas: links, coils, other leafs, and I don't mind doing the work but I'm low on cash so it needs to be fairly cheap, otherwise I would be buying coil-overs and calling Crash to see when he could build me an axle to use them. Any experience that someone can reccomend, or something I need to stay away from.
I'm getting ready to bob the runner and needed something to distract me before I start cutting, so I figured this was a good distraction.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:21 PM

I have a 3rd gen rear axle on mine , that I converted to leafs and E-locker . I'm pretty happy with it and it was cheap . Its 60 1/2 " wide.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
60" is quite a bit wider than the 55" that a stock axle has

why not just use a tacoma axle? the stock setup on a 4runner with coils won't flex too great IMHO
Old 01-04-2005, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by MNBOY
Looking for opinions from those of you that have tried things and either liked or hated them. I'm thinking I need to redo the rear axle on my 85 runner (again). My second set of leafs got me the right amount of lift but kinda suck for flex. They are custom packs so I can only blame myself. What I was thinking is possibly swapping in a 3rd gen rear axle. I think I know of a donor, and I could cut the majority of it out and weld it into my rig, giving me coil springs and a wider stance. I haven't bothered to measure yet to see if anything would line up with my frame, so I'm just in the thinking stage right now. I'm open to ideas: links, coils, other leafs, and I don't mind doing the work but I'm low on cash so it needs to be fairly cheap, otherwise I would be buying coil-overs and calling Crash to see when he could build me an axle to use them. Any experience that someone can reccomend, or something I need to stay away from.
I'm getting ready to bob the runner and needed something to distract me before I start cutting, so I figured this was a good distraction.
Whats your budget? You have to remember, going to anything other than leafs and you will have alot more expense's than sticking to leafs. Granted, you can also spend some good $$ on leafs too. If memory serves me correctly daryl's rig is running alcans, and his rig really works good.. I went thru the whole playing with leafs before I ended up going with a modified rear waggy park that lasted me a good couple of years. But your biggest downfall is the fact you have alot of weight over the rear...

Last edited by crash; 01-04-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by crash
Whats your budget? You have to remember, going to anything other than leafs and you will have alot more expense's than sticking to leafs. Granted, you can also spend some good $$ on leafs too. If memory serves me correctly daryl's rig is running alcans, and his rig really works good.. I went thru the whole playing with leafs before I ended up going with a modified rear waggy park that lasted me a good couple of years. But your biggest downfall is the fact you have alot of weight over the rear...
I don't really know what I want to spend, I know cheap is relative, but several grand on coil-overs is out of my range right now. The weight in the rear isn't as bad as it could be, the removable top is gone for good, and the gas tank is being relocated to the bed just in front of the wheelwells. Plus if I bob the bed it will shave off a bit more weight. I suppose I can pull apart the leafs again and shuffle a couple in and out, but it will be just dumb luck to get it right that way. I just figured I've been wheelin with a couple guys with 3rd gen runners and the coils seem to give pretty good flex, that's why I was thinking that route. Probably more work than it is worth.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by MNBOY
Probably more work than it is worth.
Truth right there.

If you are going to do rear coils, don't copy the factory model... Do something specific for your needs - like the rear coil kit from Shaeffers Off-road. Otherwise, you'll likely end up re-doing it all over again.

Put an IFS rear in (58"), a set of good leafs like Marlin's or Chevy's if you are cheap, and wheel it...
Old 01-05-2005, 07:03 PM

[QUOTE=rockota]Truth right there.

If you are going to do rear coils, don't copy the factory model... [QUOTE]

Can we get an AMEN to this
Old 01-06-2005, 05:44 AM

[QUOTE=crash][QUOTE=rockota]Truth right there.

If you are going to do rear coils, don't copy the factory model...

Can we get an AMEN to this

AMEN!

Old 01-07-2005, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guy at boeing is parting his 86 truck. Should have the slightly wider rear axle (58")
Old 01-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rockota
Truth right there.

If you are going to do rear coils, don't copy the factory model... Do something specific for your needs - like the rear coil kit from Shaeffers Off-road. Otherwise, you'll likely end up re-doing it all over again.
Crap, my wallet just doesn't like where this is going. Anyone know who makes a good quality, low priced coil-over.......
Old 01-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Greg, you need to do something like this: http://www.pirate4x4.com/productrevi...rts/index.html
Old 01-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS
Greg, you need to do something like this: http://www.pirate4x4.com/productrevi...rts/index.html
Thanks Bruce.
It's an interesting approach, close to what I was originally thinking. I'm thinking I could fabricate my own similar set-up for about 1/10th of what he wants for a kit, though. I'm kind of off in a different direction for the moment trying to fix some of the problems the truck currently has, rather than make new ones, so this is probably on hold for now. Thanks to all for the suggestions, and I may come back to this later.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:33 AM

I you just want to replace the springs for now. Allpro offers a relatively inexpensive setup that works pretty good. It would do fine on your first gen runner.

I ran them for about 4 years on my second gen. They frequently have them on sale.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Dale,
My issue right now with the springs is that the rears started to sag pretty quickly, and the fronts are not. I don't mind losing an inch or so of lift, but I hate to see just the back going down. I started this thread because I was thinking of doing a fairly radical build on this truck, but now I'm not sure that is necessary. Hopefully Adrian will read this and mock me for it, but this relatively stock 85 is an exceptionally capable rig. I'm sure I could push things and start breaking stuff, but for now I usually reach my "crap my pants" limit, which I think is pretty high, well before the truck starts struggling. Anyway, I figured if I was going to redo the rear springs to get back the lift, I could do something more radical, but financial stuff is getting in the way so I was looking for a lower cost alternative. I may just have a couple fat guys sit on the front for a while to flatten out the front springs and all my problems will be solved.....

Originally Posted by upndair
I you just want to replace the springs for now. Allpro offers a relatively inexpensive setup that works pretty good. It would do fine on your first gen runner.

I ran them for about 4 years on my second gen. They frequently have them on sale.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:13 AM

Your basically stock 85 yota IS a very capable rig right out of the box. Lock that puppy up, get some really good Mud tires and go beat it up. The AP springs will be just about perfect on that rig, while you save up to go radical!
Old 01-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

Detroits front and rear with Yukon 5.29's and 34" LTB's.
That's why I said mine was a fairly capable rig. Maybe once I get the winch put back on it will even out the sag.
Maybe once the snow clears at your place we could go out and find the limits of my rig on your course. Would be interesting to see what it would take to stop it.

Originally Posted by upndair
Your basically stock 85 yota IS a very capable rig right out of the box. Lock that puppy up, get some really good Mud tires and go beat it up. The AP springs will be just about perfect on that rig, while you save up to go radical!
Old 01-15-2005, 01:26 PM

When Crash get's my rig done, we can have a run at my place. The offroad obstacle course hat we put on it NOT my propoerty. That property is only available at the event, or while we're working on it. So, if you wanna be involved in a work party there, you can play. My property is in Bonney Lake and at this time of year the MUD is the obstacle of choice. I can guarantee that anyone who comes out and runs all the trails WILL get stuck at least once!

FYI, anyone know someone with a white pickup that may have been at my property in Bonney Lake recently? Someone in a white Toyota pickup was there. This is private property and can only be used if I'm there and if they're invited. If someone knows who this was, let me know. I need to get that info to them. The tennants that live there are calling the police next time and anyone there will be charged with trespassing if they're not with me or if the tennant was not informed about them coming.

Thanks!

Last edited by upndair; 01-15-2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:21 PM

I highly recommend putting 64" rear chevy half-ton springs on the back end they ride nice and flex VERY well. You can find them on any '87 and up chevy pick up if you are looking for a cheap bone yard solution. My truck currently is running pre- '87 52" rear 6 leaf chev packs up front and the 64"-ers in back and I am limited by my 12" travel shocks! I have not yet been able to find the max of my travel yet but it is near two feet of travel!
Old 02-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Trailtoy1993
I highly recommend putting 64" rear chevy half-ton springs on the back end they ride nice and flex VERY well. You can find them on any '87 and up chevy pick up if you are looking for a cheap bone yard solution. My truck currently is running pre- '87 52" rear 6 leaf chev packs up front and the 64"-ers in back and I am limited by my 12" travel shocks! I have not yet been able to find the max of my travel yet but it is near two feet of travel!
The Chevy's are a popular option, and I thought about going that route before I got my current springs, but if I remember right they require the spring hangers to be moved, and I wasn't up for doing that at the time. I've got a pile of parts started for front and rear 4-links so I'll probably be looking for advice on springs for that once I get the rest of the pieces, but until I sell one of my other trucks the money is tight and the progress is slow. Thanks for the opinion.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:01 PM

Yes they do require new spring mounts but that isn't much more than an afternoon project. My next thing is a 3-link in the rear and I discovered recently that ford f150 4x4 front springs give me exactly the right installed height in the rear. But, I will probably go with the ever popular TJ coils. I just am not sure if I want to go captive coils, locked down on both ends or the TJ's with the free droop setup. Im not a big fan of free droop, I like controlled flex.