The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

THE 1 MILLIONTH SAS (on my 92 runner)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing to keep in mind, is that you have a dropped hanger up front, that combined with longer than factory shackles gives you ~5" of lift with the 4" springs. The springs are new and need to settle, and probobally will come down about an inch, so as it sits it would be roughly 6" over stock, if not more. A couple good wheeling trips and they should be right where you want them.

Do you need/want a set of spare stock birf's and inners? It looks like you bought 4 profields, but i cant really tell. If you do, ive got a set here you could have, they dont do me much good with the 30-spline stuff.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by joez
One thing to keep in mind, is that you have a dropped hanger up front, that combined with longer than factory shackles gives you ~5" of lift with the 4" springs. The springs are new and need to settle, and probobally will come down about an inch, so as it sits it would be roughly 6" over stock, if not more. A couple good wheeling trips and they should be right where you want them.

Do you need/want a set of spare stock birf's and inners? It looks like you bought 4 profields, but i cant really tell. If you do, ive got a set here you could have, they dont do me much good with the 30-spline stuff.
Yeah, the truck is leaning back FAR so the nose is in the air and the weight is being thrown back. Or at least thats what im telling myself. Im getting used to it I just dont want a top heavy truck. Right now I just want to drive it. Im not that concerned wit the height.

Tues I pick up one of my 3rds, and tomarrow I hope to hang the rear end after work.

None of you guys have any advice or personal measurements on where you mounted the rear hangers?!? Marlin has only done one rear leaf conversion and im trying to get a hold of that guy.

2 profields
2 old birfs

How much do you want for them Joez?

Last edited by 4rnr; 01-16-2006 at 04:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:49 AM

the springs will settle I'm assuming but if not, why don't you just remove some leaves out of the pack? It will drop it an inch probably. Just my .02
-Pat
Old 01-17-2006, 07:55 PM

The rear leafs are hung and welded into place, marlin forgot my perches so I couldnt mount the axle and get the truck on all 4's. Oh well for marlin I have tons of patience, THOSE GUYS ROCK!!!! Dave is the only guy over there who has done coil to leaf conversion and I figured it couldnt hurt to give him acall and see if he had any calculations or tips before I began. Man was I glad I called him. He took detailed pictures and measurements of the locations of the leafs. Ill post everything up soon, he said they are going to post it up on the web but not for a while.

Also I didnt get my 3rd today the guys shop was broken into and spent all day with the cops. that sucks bc if I had the 3rd I could drive the truck tonight or tomarow.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

well your slow/ slower build has good momentum.
Keep the pics anf updates coming
Old 01-18-2006, 02:42 AM

Good work 4rnr. I have been watching and am impressed. This is great cause It will be my truck next, well this summer some time. Im not far from you so sometime I would love to check out your ride.
Maybe at the cliffs on the maiden trip. Except ill be in a heep untill I can do the sas on mine. Oh well great job looks real good.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:23 AM

Anytime, I would prefer to do the maiden run at the badlands, its more well rounded, less mud, has rocks, dunes... Also while im getting the feel of the truck if I make a mistake at the clifs it means I loose a body panel or roll. but the badlands is a little more forgiving.

BTW I think I remember you saying you'll go to a badlands trip with us and we waited for ya and you never showed, (do you have a black toyota p-u) so I wont hold my breath. Just kidding, anytime.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:21 AM

This is the info that Dave gave me at marlin, and it made this a very easy one try job.

This is drivers side

This pic is of the reference points he chose. One point is the center of the torsion bar adjuster bolt hole. He then measured 28'' strait back the frame and that is the front edge of the hanger.

This is the other method. just measure one inch in front of this hole.

here is how he welded it. Ive seen some guys come strait off the frame, but he chose to go in the middle as did I.

As for the shackles he had a method for that too but obviously its a no brainer. Just get the correct angle on the shackle (matter of taste) and make sure each shackle is the same or youll lean.

He used these holes, the big hole is the center of the mount front to back, and the small hole in front of it is the center locator side to side..

here it is welded up

This is the truck he was working on its a 4'' front, 5'' rear with 35's. the same springs im using.

To get it square which is the MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS PROJECT!!! I just measured the distance from the hanger bolt for the front end to the hanger bolt for the rear end and made sure each side was perfect, mine is 102.5'' bolt to bolt.

I hope that helps some of you, it was exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited by 4rnr; 01-18-2006 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:31 AM

I would like to dedicate this post to the awesomeness of Marlin Crawler. They hooked me up with free stuff when I ordered my stuff they got this stuff (400lbs easy) to my door in 4 business days. When I got the kit I realized that a grease fitting on the end of a fj80 tirod end has stripped so I called them and the shipped me a new one no questions asked. Last night I realized (with the axle under the truck) that there was no perches in my kit so I called them this morning and they are 2day airing them too me, no charge. I know they are crazy busy but they always are happy help with anything (once you get a hold of them). And of most of you know there stuff is very high quality and it fits great!
Ok hugs all around back to the build
Old 01-20-2006, 10:35 AM

I feel like im whoreing my own thread.

I think both my calipers are bad but im not sure because they both do the same thing. the same piston on both calipers (one of the outer ones) were very dificult to compress, I had to use the c-clamp and had to turn extreemly hard. What do you guys think. Come on dont be shy....
Old 01-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4rnr
I think both my calipers are bad but im not sure because they both do the same thing. the same piston on both calipers (one of the outer ones) were very dificult to compress, I had to use the c-clamp and had to turn extreemly hard. What do you guys think. Come on dont be shy....
You should be able to depress each piston with firm pressure from your finger. If not, its frozen and you might as well replace it. With those big tires on there, you want to be sure your entire braking system is working properly.

Hey 4rnr,

Nice job! Did Dave from Marlin take the pics of the Silver 4Runner and send them to you as a reference to help you do the install yourself or did you go our to California to Marlin's shop?

Last edited by PAhydrohead; 01-20-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:32 AM

NO those were taken by dave.

It makes sense that the calipers are bad bc I warped 2 sets of vented, slotted, crossdrilled rotors in 2 years, and I warped them bad!!!
Old 01-21-2006, 12:12 PM

Well its on all 4's, and I love the stance!! Its definatly not too high. Im finishing up the brakes now, and if I had a driveshaft w/ the correct bolt pattern I could drive it today.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Old 01-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Old 01-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
x3

Old 01-21-2006, 03:19 PM

I didnt get much done today, I just stared at the truck, seriously I didnt get a whole lot done I cant find a union tee for the back brakes!?!

Tomarrow I might pull it out of the garage and get some pics of it. After seeing it I might run 35's instead of 36's. It also might need a little lift in the rear. The front springs have sagged at least one inch. When I first set the front end down a week ago the shackle was at about 80* now its at 45* So im assuming the rear wil do the same. Escpecially since I have so much fun bouncing the truck up and down like 2 feet!
Old 01-23-2006, 03:16 PM

Hey 4rnr what is the lenght of your rear leafs? cause i'm going with 63" 1/2 ton chevys and i just wondering if the pics (where to mount the hangers & shackels on the frame)that you posted would work for the setup that i'm going to do, also thanks for all the good info you posted.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:49 PM

Looks awesome bro. i can't wait to see the newest pics.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by joebruva25
Hey 4rnr what is the lenght of your rear leafs? cause i'm going with 63" 1/2 ton chevys and i just wondering if the pics (where to mount the hangers & shackels on the frame)that you posted would work for the setup that i'm going to do, also thanks for all the good info you posted.
Well these are 56" In your case just get the wheel placed in the wheel well properly (slightly forward of the stock location) then you have to make sure the hangers are squared up perfectly so you dont dog walk. This is easier for you just use the sock locations as a reference point to measure off of and make sure the measurements are the same. Im not sure that made sense, im tired, If that doesnt make sense let me know Ill try to break it down. Good luck

Quick Reply: THE 1 MILLIONTH SAS (on my 92 runner)