Arizona Arizona Chapter

Input on AZ Overnighter

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Input on AZ Overnighter

With the temps rising and some interest expressed within the local AZ group I have been thinking of ideas in regards to a 2-Day trip. Maybe in the next month or so. I have no ideas about dates...

One thought was to have 2 runs leading to the same spot. For example, one group could head up the CK backroad and the other could go up DeSoto mine trail. In case you aren't aware, the CK backroad is generally considered pretty tame, with DeSoto a more difficult trail.

Both routes lead to the Crown King area, with plenty of camping. I am sure we could find a group spot or just an area with several close spots grouped together. Not really looking at putting on a Jamboree of Festival. Just a fair sized group... I don't really have a number cutoff in mind though.

Next day we could run Smiley Rock which I believe is comparable to Sunflower in difficulty. There might even be other routes of varying difficulty in the area of CK or Prescott that would work. Post up any ideas.

Westy also knows the Rim area very well, and we might be able to organize a two run/ single campground type event on that end of the state instead or as well.

So, any YT'rs have thoughts? Maybe there is another pair of runs that meet up in the cooler altitudes I don't know about. Something that gets to Flag maybe?
Old 07-15-2007, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a good idea but I don't know if that would be feasible for me at the moment. MAybe, once the time gets closer.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the Crown King/DeSoto idea. While I'd like to take a crack at DeSoto, I also wouldn't mind another run at CK now that I'm locked to see how I fare on my previous roadblock. Also at 6000' elevation there would be some heat relief for sure. Anyone know about that Horsethief Lake area? It looks kind of small and with the lack of rain might be dry, but looks real good in the pics I've seen of it. Otherwise, I don't know of any areas with good elevation and good wheeling.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:00 PM

I was up at horse thief the weekend before the campground officially opened. I think it was late March, but I'm not sure. The lake was great, but the trout were a bit small. The lake level was down some from its normal pool level. If you happen to already be there, it's worth staying for the night, otherwise it's kinda out of the way. I know for a fact there are a lot of large camping areas near Crown King, just outside of town on the west side. Another camping option is along Pine Flat Road. Take senator highway 19 miles towards Prescott. Pin Flat runs north to Mayer.

I'd love to make a overnight run, but am unable to commit as I'll be working 60 hour weeks for the next 6 months. The extra pay will come in handy though. I'll finally be able to spring for my SS lift.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:43 PM
JGM

I am interested. Can't commit to anything, but would like to know details...

I did CK weekend before last. It changes everytime I do it. The trail is cake. There are 2 "hard" spots, but they are very doable, even without lockers. I would really enjoy hitting desoto again...the FJC run was fun, but long.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:12 PM

I've thought about running back out to sunflower and spending the night then biking that trail in reverse.

Depending when a date is decided it would be nice to kill two birds (off-roading and mountin biking) with one stone.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:02 PM

I would be interested in a wee bit of campin.... the temp's down here are making the pines look SOOOO good.