Arizona Arizona Chapter

A Heads Up if you have no mudflaps!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Heads Up if you have no mudflaps!

Just got stopped tonight in the beast for no mudflaps. It was just a warning and the cop was very cool about it. He said they usually don't bother with it but the State is making a focus on it this month so... If you've been getting away without like me for the past year or 2, be forewarned.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 04-06-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, the law says TRUCKS must have rear mud flaps that cover the whole tire and can't be more than 8in off the ground. i believe the law doesn't say anything about SUV's having mud flaps hahahaha

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121919

i know it's only a forum site but i've read about it on a couple other pages too

Last edited by H03Runner; 04-07-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:01 PM

A friend and I were pulled over in his Tacoma last winter near Flagstaff on our way to Telluride. He was speeding (like 85 in a 65) but the DPS officer was super nice and only gave him a warning for no mudflaps.

The officer stated that any vehicle with tires larger than stock are required to have mudflaps.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:18 PM

Found it! i got bored and decided to look up the statute

28-958.01. Rear fender splash guards

A. A person shall not operate a truck, trailer, semitrailer or bus on a highway unless the vehicle is equipped with rear fender splash guards that comply with the specifications provided in this section.

B. The splash guards:

1. Shall be attached in a manner that prevents the splashing of mud or water on the windshield of other motor vehicles.

2. Shall extend to a length of not more than eight inches from the ground.

3. Shall be wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected.

4. Shall be installed close enough to the tread surface of the tire or wheel to control the side throw of the bulk of the thrown road surface material.

5. May be constructed of a flexible rubberized material.

6. Shall be attached in a manner that, regardless of movement either in the splash guards or the vehicle, the splash guards retain their general parallel relationship to the tread surface of the tire or wheel under all ordinary operating conditions.

C. This section does not apply to:

1. A vehicle commonly known as a pickup truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of ten thousand pounds or less, except that this section applies if the pickup truck has been modified from the original bumper height design to raise the center of gravity of the pickup truck.

2. A truck tractor or converter dolly when used in combination with another vehicle.

3. A single, tandem or triple axle trailer with fenders that are wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected and that extend to a length of not more than fourteen inches from the ground.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/28/00958-01.htm

Last edited by H03Runner; 04-07-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:19 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
for us in washington they need to extend below halfway of the axle shaft.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:13 PM

when i had a vehicle inspection my my truck, i stuck on tiny little mudflaps for small cars and it passed. i never had cops bother me about my tires sticking out and having no mudflaps even tho i deal with them all the time.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:13 PM

Yeah, I've heard the whole SUV or station wagon thing on the title. Somehow my 4runner says 1/2 PU on the title, so no technicality to get me off. Oh well, I made some removables.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
on my title my 4runner says wagon...
Old 04-09-2010, 01:36 PM

Well this rules out a req for us wagon owners then. The registration claims my FJ60 is a 4DSW and not a truck or SUV.

Originally Posted by H03Runner
Found it! i got bored and decided to look up the statute

28-958.01. Rear fender splash guards

A. A person shall not operate a truck, trailer, semitrailer or bus on a highway unless the vehicle is equipped with rear fender splash guards that comply with the specifications provided in this section.

B. The splash guards:

1. Shall be attached in a manner that prevents the splashing of mud or water on the windshield of other motor vehicles.

2. Shall extend to a length of not more than eight inches from the ground.

3. Shall be wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected.

4. Shall be installed close enough to the tread surface of the tire or wheel to control the side throw of the bulk of the thrown road surface material.

5. May be constructed of a flexible rubberized material.

6. Shall be attached in a manner that, regardless of movement either in the splash guards or the vehicle, the splash guards retain their general parallel relationship to the tread surface of the tire or wheel under all ordinary operating conditions.

C. This section does not apply to:

1. A vehicle commonly known as a pickup truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of ten thousand pounds or less, except that this section applies if the pickup truck has been modified from the original bumper height design to raise the center of gravity of the pickup truck.

2. A truck tractor or converter dolly when used in combination with another vehicle.

3. A single, tandem or triple axle trailer with fenders that are wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected and that extend to a length of not more than fourteen inches from the ground.

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/28/00958-01.htm
Old 04-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

The AZ title on our FJ62 actually called it a "Special Purpose" vehicle. My 99 4Runner was a station wagon.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:59 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
in oregon: http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/TS/Veh_Equipment.shtml

FENDERS

5) Does my vehicle need mud flaps/mud guards?
Answer: Non commercial vehicles (under 8,000 lbs.) need fenders or mud guards (mud flaps) within 20 inches of the pavement behind all wheels. Commercial vehicles need fenders or mudguards (mud flaps) within 10 inches behind all wheels. (ORS 815.180)
Fenders and mud guards (mud flaps) must cover the entire tread width of the tire(s). (ORS 815.180)

6) How far can a vehicle sit off the ground before mud flaps are required?

Answer: For a vehicle that is less than 8,000 lbs the law states: "...fenders or mudguards must extend in full width from a point on the wheels that is above and forward of the center of the tire over a point at the rear of the wheel that is not more than 27 inches above the surface of the highway." ORS 815-180 (2) (c) The issue is not how far the truck can sit off the ground so much as making sure that fenders or mud flaps are in place not more than 27 inches from the surface of the highway.

7) Where do you measure that height from, lowest point of back bumper?

Answer: As stated above, you would measure the height from the ground and make sure it is not more than 27 inches.

8) How far are tires allowed to stick out from the side of a vehicle before you must get fender flares?

Answer: A fender or mudguard must cover the complete width of the tires tread. This is in ORS 815.180 (1) (a). The fender or mudguard must also be of sufficient size and constructed so that it is capable of deflecting or arresting any dirt, mud, water or other substance that may be picked up and carried on the wheels.

this is a post I saved from Pirate for threads just like this
Originally Posted by billybob13
so johnny law saw me cruising down the road in my wheeler and decides that i need a mud flap ticket. my tires stick out about 2" or so. i live in a town over-populated with jeeps that have tires 6" outside the body with no mudflaps, so i can only assume he was looking for more than just that. maybe lack of insurance, license, maybe thought i had drugs, etc. the give away here was his erratic high speed u turn and 70 mph dash to get right on my butt and light me up.

on with the tech- materials used: mudflaps from big rig, 2x4 doug fir, drywall screws, bungee cord. cost: free.
install time: 5 min.
hopefully this can help someone else obey the law like i am. i think it ended up looking really good, and hopefully provides the coverage needed to get the ticket signed off. any cops out there who can approve this? thanx.

oh, if this needs to be moved somewhere else, please feel free to do so. it's not hardcore tech, but neither is smog.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
this is a post I saved from Pirate for threads just like this

next he'll get stopped for no license plate lights