Arizona Arizona Chapter

Got the indash CB done! PICTURES

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the indash CB done! PICTURES

I got it done yesterday.

I installed a Cobra WX ST II under the after market CD deck. I was able to use two of the holes in the CD player cage to fasten the CB to the cage also. I have been told that you don't need to do this, because the CB is such a tight fight that it won't move around. But the holes were lined up...so why not stick a screw on each side? I also added the Wilson Lil' Wheel magnet antenna.

I ran the antenna cord off the back of the CB using a Elbow adapter to make sure there was enough clearance behind the CB, the cord runs along side the 4wheel drive stick, under the center console, under the carpet between the front seats and back seats, then under the carpet again under the back seat and then where the seat belt is held on next to the back seat I ran the antenna up that pillar to the head liner where it pops out. I had the antenna wire cut and mounted two males ends to the cut and use a two sided female plug so that the antenna can be removed, but the antenna wire I ran up the center of the car stays put.

So...here are some pictures!

Full picture (I took the runner boards off yesterday...looks SOOO much better!!!)

In the dash.

The plug at the headliner so the antenna is removable.

The antenna and wire leading to it.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks good.

Where did you get the ends to splice your cable... Radio Shack maybe? Any soldering required, or do they work similiar to those thread on COAX ends for cable TV?

That was a good idea and saved you a body penetration. Nice job!
Old 07-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Whoops... posted twice...

Last edited by Elvota; 07-27-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:04 PM

I actually took the new antenna in to the CB Exchange (on main st. in Mesa) and had him do the work. I think it does take some soldiering. I needed to go in there anyways to get the nice new ends for it, and the elbow for the back of the CB.

The guy that owns the store is REALLY nice, and had it done quick. He didn't charge me anything for the labor, just the price of the new antenna and the ends I needed.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:06 PM

Very nice

I've been looking for a setup that will fit my '00; that looks perfect.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I did the same install a few months ago - Actually bought the cb from the same place in Mesa - the little ol lady knows her stuff too.

I opted to mount a Firestick II on the rear bumper.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:30 PM

After doing A LOT of research on how antennas work, I found the fire stik on the bumper wouldn't work as well for what I wanted to do. They are GREAT for trail chatter at close distance, and they certainly look much better!

I wanted to use the CB for daily listening in on the truckers, and for road trip entertainment. I needed maximum reception. The best way to achieve that is to mount the antenna dead center in the roof. The guy at CB Exchange has a great little chart that shows which direction the CB will transmit and receive from depending on where it's mounted.

I was really worried about the look of the whip and figured I would take it off most of the time. But now that it's up there, I kind of like it....
Old 07-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

I really like the reception of my roof mount Wilson 1000 antenna... but I have broken 2 now in as many weeks. Low branches and such.

Magnetic base will give, and maybe fall off, but probably won't break. Something to watch for though. Don't want that antenna dangling along the side of your vehicle.

I'll probably give the lower, stiffer Firestick a try to see how it does for longevity. I am using the CB for 95% trail talk, so I am thinking that's the way for me to go.

Height probably won't be a problem for you though, I have been known to stuff my 4Runner into places a 4Runner probably shouldn't go anyway.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice job. I used the same CB for my install; fits perfect with no cutting.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:19 AM

Nice install!
Old 08-05-2007, 07:55 AM
JGM

I have a slightly smalller RadioShack CB that I mounted in the same spot. I have a slim hole alongside that comes in handy holding little things. The pain was that the speaker for it was top-mounted, so I took the thing apart, soldered some additional wires, and created a new speaker in the plastic sheet just below the ignition. Works great. Had to make my own speaker grill, too.

I run my cable to the front of the truck and mount the antenna on a tab on the ARB. I am looking to change it, though, because I want to run the CB full time, and I don't want that antenna out front all the time. Not sure what I will do yet. I don't want an antenna off the rear bumper if the tailgate will interfere with it. I am in and out of that a couple time a day. Still thinking...
Old 08-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
Nice job. I used the same CB for my install; fits perfect with no cutting.

I like how your GPS says **OFF ROAD**