Virginia Virginia Chapter

Work to be done - can help or need help - post here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Work to be done - can help or need help - post here!

Hey dudes, though this would be good for us to get our projects out of the way, many hands make light work.

How about everybody post here if you have a project or problem, state what kinda help you need or if you can volunteer either help or location.

At the moment I have no priority issues but need spare lowering mech freed/replaced, shocks installed, add a leafs added, and mystery 4x4 problem diagnosed and fixed.

We are meeting at John's tomorrow 9/21, but I will leave it to him to extend the invite to anyone else. Maybe we could have a volunteer location once a month and line up the issues for everybody to jump on. Emegency issues would be a whole different thing.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

I can't host anything since my apt complex doesn't allow work in the p-lot, but I can probabaly make most get togethers and help with other projects.

I'm eager to get things done, learn new stuff, save us all some money, and get breathalizers from Shaun before we go home.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by dajabr
I can't host anything since my apt complex doesn't allow work in the p-lot, but I can probabaly make most get togethers and help with other projects.

I'm eager to get things done, learn new stuff, save us all some money, and get breathalizers from Shaun before we go home.
Hey---if it is out of my jurisdiction, I cant do anything anyways! My apartment complex wont allow us to work in the parking lots either, but I definitly need to learn more about auto repair. Hell, maybe at some point I can bring my fiancee to a "fix-it" day we have so she can be forced into learning more about the 4Runner-Maybe she will give me more money for the rig!

Shaun
FYI-I dont get to take the breathalyzers home, but I can give you the field sobriety tests from HELL!

Last edited by Border411; 09-20-2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

If we get together on the weekend to do some work, I'll pay for the pizza.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:01 AM
Contributing Member

hey everyone,

i'm not very auto repair savvy but definitely can help out........ also could bring along some hooters' wings to go with the pizza...
Old 09-21-2004, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Jaab, welcome aboard. What Toy vehicle do you have?
Old 09-21-2004, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Hey all, we had a very productive day today at John's place in M-burg.

Plenty of room and tools, and John had a few tricks up his sleeve to get both Rich and my complete Bilstein sets in. Rich's coilovers were a learning experience, and between the three of us they only took some of the morning before we went to town for an excellent lunch. I finally got that damn spare out from under my bed but the mechanism was too rusted to bother with at the moment, will soak with PB Blaster and deal with it later.

Took a chunk out of my forehead with John's socket extender and didn't know it was bleeding until I got out from under the truck. Then we had a chance to go over the vacuum diagram in my FSM for John's V6, and we're going to tackle his radio and dash wiring on the next event at his place.

All in all the first true wrenching party was a success! Let do it again!
Old 09-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Any date set?

All in all the first true wrenching party was a success! Let do it again!
Old 09-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Banned

how do you like the bils? I ordered mine but unfortunately, the rear wont be in still middle of october.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
how do you like the bils? I ordered mine but unfortunately, the rear wont be in still middle of october.
Just from the drive home I found they were awesome. We have to consider that my old shocks were literally crumbling and were not absorbing any shock at ll, totally limp. On the way home it felt like a race car. Still felt the bumps, but much smoother. Could take sudden turns and felt a lot more control, practically no slop compared to the drive in that morning. I don't think they're too stiff at all, but I know exactly where I'm going to test this. There's a double speed bump in McLean that made the truck bounce repeatedly, gonna see how smooth it goes there.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:31 PM

dan, in the morning, ill get a pic of the condidtion of your old shocks, and post it up.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:42 PM
Banned

Just from the drive home I found they were awesome. We have to consider that my old shocks were literally crumbling and were not absorbing any shock at ll, totally limp. On the way home it felt like a race car. Still felt the bumps, but much smoother. Could take sudden turns and felt a lot more control, practically no slop compared to the drive in that morning. I don't think they're too stiff at all, but I know exactly where I'm going to test this. There's a double speed bump in McLean that made the truck bounce repeatedly, gonna see how smooth it goes there.
I cant wait till i get mine on...too bad i gotta wait till october for the rear
Old 09-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by runnerboy97
dan, in the morning, ill get a pic of the condidtion of your old shocks, and post it up.
I think there's more of them on your driveway than in the trash can!
Old 09-22-2004, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Crap.

My clutch pedal was way soft this morning, it shifted but the point of friction was almost to the floor. Found the fluid reservoir was empty, topped it off and it's fine now. Will see how slow this leak is, but I have my next project. This happened on my 86, got stuck in 1st on 66 in rush hour traffic and managed to get it to the shoulder using just the starter. Spent half an hour trying stuff and then I accidentally locked myself out of the truck. Walked home for a ride and spare key, picked up some fluid on the way. Got it home and had the slave cylinder replaced. The same thing started with this truck last summer, drove it straight to my shop and they found the same thing, clutch slave cylinder, and replaced it. Hopefully this isn't my master cyl, but at least it appears to be a slow leak.

Last edited by dajabr; 09-22-2004 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Roadrunner
Jaab, welcome aboard. What Toy vehicle do you have?
Thanks a lot !! 1996 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD with a few mods: OMEs springs and shocks/struts all around, Safari Snorkel, TJM T-17 Bumper, Wipac 8'' Driving lights, Powerslot Rotors... daily driver

Used to own overseas: Land Cruiser FJ62 and FZJ71
Old 09-22-2004, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like a nice ride. I'd like to check out the snorkel on your 4Runner whenever we have a meet & greet or wrenching get-together. I'll keep an eye out for you when I'm driving around Fairfax County.

Originally Posted by jaab
Thanks a lot !! 1996 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD with a few mods: OMEs springs and shocks/struts all around, Safari Snorkel, TJM T-17 Bumper, Wipac 8'' Driving lights, Powerslot Rotors... daily driver

Used to own overseas: Land Cruiser FJ62 and FZJ71
Old 09-22-2004, 01:09 PM

Crap.

My clutch pedal was way soft this morning, it shifted but the point of friction was almost to the floor. Found the fluid reservoir was empty, topped it off and it's fine now. Will see how slow this leak is, but I have my next project. This happened on my 86, got stuck in 1st on 66 in rush hour traffic and managed to get it to the shoulder using just the starter. Spent half an hour trying stuff and then I accidentally locked myself out of the truck. Walked home for a ride and spare key, picked up some fluid on the way. Got it home and had the slave cylinder replaced. The same thing started with this truck last summer, drove it straight to my shop and they found the same thing, clutch slave cylinder, and replaced it. Hopefully this isn't my master cyl, but at least it appears to be a slow leak.
Hmmmm...all I can say is "That sucks!" Maybe check out an automatic or a newer toyota with the luck you are having. Just dont get a 2004, you may curse mine!
Old 09-22-2004, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Originally Posted by Localmotion
Mine also helped the ride, I feel like I have more control and a better ride. Yesterday was great, especially having a good place to work and get lunch. My place won't let me do work in the p-lot either, another reason we're trying to buy a house. Next project may involve my SC and the mounting studs, have to see how my time works out and when the next date is.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Roadrunner
Sounds like a nice ride. I'd like to check out the snorkel on your 4Runner whenever we have a meet & greet or wrenching get-together. I'll keep an eye out for you when I'm driving around Fairfax County.
hey anytime, shoot me an email or call me whenever you'd like to stop by or meet so you can take a close look at it. joseavila at cox dot net or (571)2378748... i'm attaching a pic..
Attached Thumbnails Work to be done - can help or need help - post here!-toyriginobx.jpg  
Old 09-27-2004, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

Hey all,
I found a guy locally who is going to take care of my rear fender rust. $150 includes everythig except the final paint. I'm just going to rattle can it on top of his primer, close enough match until I get the whole thing painted at once. Will take some pics and do a short write up. Have a new 2 mo. contract coming up, getting married in Dec and lotsa update to do on the website so bear with me.

Quick Reply: Work to be done - can help or need help - post here!