Virginia Virginia Chapter

Work to be done - can help or need help - post here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 06:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey everyone.

Im getting my Bilsteins in on the 30th. Does anyone know how to install them?? i have no clue how do do it :pat: any help would be great

Thanks

matt
Old 09-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
hey everyone.
Im getting my Bilsteins in on the 30th. Does anyone know how to install them?? i have no clue how do do it :pat: any help would be great
Thanks
matt
Yes we do. Picked up the basics at the recent install party. Mine were quite easy, Rich's were more involved due to coil overs and special tools. John would be the resident expert. Your profile doesn't have the year of your truck, that's a start...
Old 09-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dajabr
Yes we do. Picked up the basics at the recent install party. Mine were quite easy, Rich's were more involved due to coil overs and special tools. John would be the resident expert. Your profile doesn't have the year of your truck, that's a start...
sorry. I have a 1996 4runner SR5. I have OME 906 coils for the rear and i have spacers for the front.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

sorry. I have a 1996 4runner SR5. I have OME 906 coils for the rear and i have spacers for the front.
John has a 97, I'm sure he'll chime in here. It all seems very easy to me now, but I really have no other experience than the recent install. I did learn you will need spring compressors, coffee must be spilled halfway through the install, and you are required to poke a hole in your forehead with a socket extender.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:17 PM
Banned

John has a 97, I'm sure he'll chime in here. It all seems very easy to me now, but I really have no other experience than the recent install. I did learn you will need spring compressors, coffee must be spilled halfway through the install, and you are required to poke a hole in your forehead with a socket extender.
HAHA...im guessing that you did alll that. lol I can just rent a spring compressor from autozone correct?

Thanks

Matt
Old 09-27-2004, 07:27 PM

yeah, everything dan said must happen in order for the install to go correctly. the spring compressors come from autozone, its just a deposit, that you get back when you return the tool, so it free.
where are you at? just found out im officially starting at the fire department monday, so im gonna have alot less free time. but i might be able to get around to helping you with the install. just let me know.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:34 PM
Banned

I am located in Fairfax, VA. John, didnt i meet you once at VT? I was with someone named Matt Hanlon. Anyways, whenever you guys have time, let me know. Like i said, im just starting the while moddifying thing.

Thanks

Matt
Old 09-27-2004, 08:43 PM

ok, yeah i remember meeting you.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:43 PM

Boy...too bad I missed that party!
Old 09-28-2004, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

HAHA...im guessing that you did alll that. lol I can just rent a spring compressor from autozone correct?

Thanks

Matt
Yes. and Yes.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:29 PM

I was with someone named Matt Hanlon.
Hey, thats me! You toyota guys have cooler smilies than us
Old 10-09-2004, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

John, hows that 88 V6 coming?
Old 10-09-2004, 05:43 AM

i got it running about a week ago, drove it about 2 minutes and noticed a severe water leak from the back of the engine. but it did run very strong, diagnosed the problem as a bad freeze plug in the head, so i pulled the passenger side head, and sure enough a freeze plug had blown through. i ordered all new freeze plugs for that head and a new head gasket(from toyota), they show up and are the wrong parts. turns out the parts guy actually gave me freeze plugs from a 22re, but the part number on the headgasket that i have doesnt exist in his computer, so we cant figure out what the hell its supposed to go on. but anyways the new head gsket is on backorder, they say tuesday at the earliest. figured might as well do somethin else. so i pulled the rear end yesterday, took a grinder and preped it to paint today. after paint its time to work the housing to fit the elocker. I also ordered a tube bender the other day. like i said before, its gonna take me a long time to get this thing going again.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Nice. Lemme know if you want some help.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Hey JOhn, did youo get that pupppy running right? Am having some brake issues and might need my FSM back soon. Might be doing the front bearings and rotors.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:57 PM

runs like a champ. just let me know, and maybe we can meet up and ill give you the book back.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by runnerboy97
runs like a champ. just let me know, and maybe we can meet up and ill give you the book back.
Sweet... I may be ordering some brembos for my truck and my GF's Impreza. Will prob do the Soob myself since it's just bolts, but dunno if I wanna risk doing the truck with hub dissassembly etc. Wanna check the book first...
Old 10-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Hey john, I'm still interested in your 4.10 if we can diagnose I have a 4.30. If so would it be a good time to combine with the rotors/bearings ?
Old 10-21-2004, 06:29 PM

id be up for helping with that. i hate to say it, but really theo nly sure way to tell if the wrong diff was put in your truck, is to pop the cover off and count the teeth on the ring gear. but then you would know for sure.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

That sucks, had it off early last year to diagnose, everyting looked almost new and appeared to work fine through the whole drivetrain but we didn't think to count the teeth. Everything looks great and works up there, we could not figure out what was wrong. I'll show you how 4x4 behaves on that dirt road, maybe you'll be intrigued by this mystery...

If I offroaded enough this would be the time to SAS! If you wanna help that would be cool, with my wedding coming up I'm glad to save as much money as possible. Have you done IFS rotors/bearings before? Maybe I can just buy the bearings and save us the repacking time and effort. Frankly I don't trust myself to do this, maybe we could do another wrenching party? Our new member Tim wanted to get together too, you guys have similar rigs...

Quick Reply: Work to be done - can help or need help - post here!