Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Do I call this suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Do I call this suspension?

Here is a pic of a rear suspension setup. Ive seen this in multiple designs and am interested in more info on this but have no idea what to search for. what would this be called and where can i find good info on it. Has anyone here used this setup? I would love to see pics and get your input on how you liked it.
Thanks
Hooligan

Old 12-29-2008, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3/4 elliptical. Sorry that's all I got!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
--also called Buggy Leaf I believe, cut a set of springs in Half and connect them to the frame like the picture...great travel but you wanna be careful going down hill (from what I understand)
you can try reading this: Pirate 4X 4Toyota FAQ
Also maybe try searching in this Pirate 4X4 Toyota Folder
search on pirate, but before you post there, be sure you have searched thoroughly. Flaming newbs is accepted there and considered a past time.
http://www.broncotech.com/cgi-bin/ul...1;t=015074;p=1

Last edited by dropzone; 12-29-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:35 PM

also called a goofy leaf.

it can be effective, but also it can unload like robb says, downhill or off camber. and remember, there is no weight on the tire when that half leaf drops, so you really don't gain any traction. it does keep your weight down low though.

if you run that type of setup, i'd run a type of retaining pin to keep the leaf against the frame when driven on road. that's what a friend of mine did on his toyota.

Al
Old 12-29-2008, 05:44 PM

Man that is not a good setup yeah you get drop but drop with no weight is no good you still have no traction the best flexy suspension for the buget build it 1/4 eliptic i have it on my 83 and i built the entire truck for less than 1000 bucks including the truck and it out wheels my 4-runner any day
Old 12-29-2008, 05:50 PM

yup 3/4 elliptical
Old 12-30-2008, 02:21 AM

If you look you can see in the picture posted, that he has a shackle welded to the frame to pin the susupension to.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:42 PM

To me this looks like a decent way to get some extra drop. But the unloading down hill thing seems a little iffy my first thought is thats not much different than the normal leaf springs, when you remove weight from it it wants to lift the truck. In theory if you were going down a hill steep enough to unload your rear suspension your in trouble no matter what setup you have. This extra spring wants to push the axle away from the truck and so does your standard spring. I guess im not seeing how this is an issue in any but the worst situation. And by no means am I trying to argue or tell anyone its wrong. But i would like to hear from someone who has run this setup. As I stand right now I see this as a way to get more flex without welding or major fabrication. And I do agree with pinning the spring for on road driving. My more immediate concern is how this setup does with side to side loading I would be more affraid of the spring shifting.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:09 PM

you are putting a spring on a spring.... you can't see how that could possibly be unstable?

i'm not saying its horrible, i'm also not saying its a perfect setup. just giving points so you can decide what is the best bet. IMO you should leave it to caged buggies, so there is a layer of safety over predictability.

my toyota is going to be double shackled as soon as i find the time to tear into it, but the extra droop is not under pressure of a spring, and limited to only a few inches. its mostly laziness, so i don't have to move the rear spring hanger.

Al
Old 12-30-2008, 05:41 PM

Im not trying to convince anyone that this is the perfect setup for me or anyone else. I just saw this pic and was curious of its success or otherwise. I have looked at the double shackle and I think i like that idea better. I am fairly new to rock crawling But by no means new to cars or suspension. Im just exploring my options.

Thanks for the input Keep em comin
Old 10-05-2011, 09:48 PM

Bringing this thread back alive to open up a debate on some alternative suspension designs.

So what kind of suspension is in this video I know double shackle but the top Shackle never moves seems to work well......
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPQq_Jp5cPY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
Old 11-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Banned

I ran 3/4 elliptical on a bush only truck...if ya throw in a track bar, it works just as well as the average home brew link set up, occasionally you end up a little light on the rear end, but it works ok. No track bar, and you'll have the ultimate axle wrapping, leaf springs snapping, rear tire under the cab of the truck machine. It's not super dope. and when you're on the gas bouncing on something the super loud "clank clank clank" of leaves slapping each other and the frame is a bit disconcerting.

Last edited by SVIRedneck; 11-26-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCal
Bringing this thread back alive to open up a debate on some alternative suspension designs.

So what kind of suspension is in this video I know double shackle but the top Shackle never moves seems to work well......
Actually, seems to work fairly well, at least for climbing. But note how the driver's side has the upper shackle vertical and on the passenger side, the upper shackle is pinned up against the frame. When the trucks gets up on top of the ledge, you can see how the longer lower shackle ends up against the spring on the driver's side and is vertical on the passenger side. But looks like Chevy springs and lower shackles and then the upper shackle is a Toyota style shackle.