Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steel hawse fairleads. bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
I have never had a problem melting it to the drum. Unless you are doing hard pulls all day over several hours, its not going to heat up that much.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim it's on it's way to you I scanned it myself this morning. If your worried about heat on the drum melting your line just remember that the heat will come from the motor on your winch right? So if your winching long enough or hard enough just keep an eye(or feel) on the motor if it get's too hot to the touch back off for a few minutes. If you are using a Warn they will pull faster then most Ramsey's or Milemarkers so they do have less chance of overheating.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:34 PM

Tim,
Did you get it?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HI 92 Toyota! I didn't get it yet, I'm still at work, but I did get an email from UPS today saying that there was a package at my door! I can't wait! Here's the message I got...is this the one from you? (I bet it is...do you live in Riviera Beach, FL? Sounds NICE!!) Thanks again for sending it!! can't wait to get back home and see it!!

Tracking Number: ...
Type: Package

Delivered On: 12/04/2008 2:45 P.M.
To view additional tracking information, please log in to My UPS.

Package Progress
Location Date Local Time Description
SEATTLE,
WA, US 12/04/2008 2:45 P.M. DELIVERY
RIVIERA BEACH,
FL, US 11/24/2008 8:35 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
11/24/2008 10:25 A.M. PICKUP SCAN

QUOTE=92 Toyota]Tim,
Did you get it?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by taikowaza; 12-04-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:30 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Taikowaza I used the hook last winter and didn't find snow clogging it a major problem. Though think I had to tap it off a couple times but no worries. Have no expereince with the thimble though.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

just a quick note before turning off the computer... awesome fairlead 92toy!!!!!! I thought it would be silver but it's black, looks fantastic and very beefy! I will take some detailed pics tomorrow and post 'em...just a quick note to say THANKS AGAIN 92toy, you are too cool. Thanks muddpigg for your thoughts on the hook and deathcougar too for your help with the line. you guys have been so much more then helpful. I'm really pleased w/this fairlead. The pics will speak for themselves, I especially like the warning stating: CAUTION: CABLE INJURIES...KEEP CLEAR, with the logo of a hand getting crushed...YEAH!!! Dude I couldn't be happier. Was so pleased to unbox it. Have a good night all, will post some pics tomorrow, l8r
Old 12-05-2008, 02:01 AM

Glad you like it. No I don't live in Riviera Bch (I wouldn't want to) the UPS center I work out of is in Riviera. I thought the little picture on it was cool. Look forward to the pics.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:24 AM
Contributing Member

I took some pics...not as cool as it'll be when it's mounted though! thanks again 92toy

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Last edited by taikowaza; 12-08-2008 at 02:26 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:59 AM

Well get that mounted! What are ya waiting for
Old 01-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Hi 92Toy- I sent you a PM but I'm also posting it here just to be on the 'up and up!'
We (I should say, DeathCougar and Nick "monkeyfingers" G. with some minor attempted help by myself) finally got the winch installed last night and I'm starting a big post on the install. It was a bear of an install but a total success and I'm really really happy with the results! I wanted to write because after a lot of inner debate and advice I got from different people, I finally decided to go with a polished aluminum hawse instead. The rope ended up costing too much $$ and I wanted to be extra careful about the possibility of it catching on the rougher inner lip of the steel fairlead. That said, I feel really bad about all the posting back and forth, and wanted to say that I'll either ship the fairlead back to you fully at my expense 92toy, OR, I can ship it to another YT member such as muddpigg or whoever will definitely use it. I wanted to thank you again 92Toy for your generosity and hope you're not offended by my final choice to use an aluminum fairlead instead of steel. I didn't want you to see my install post and realize that I was using another fairlead! Thanks again, I'll wait on your decision as to what I should do with the Hawse, and I'll take it from there.
taiko

Last edited by taikowaza; 01-31-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by taikowaza
Hi 92Toy- I sent you a PM but I'm also posting it here just to be on the 'up and up!'
We (I should say, DeathCougar and Nick "monkeyfingers" G. with some minor attempted help by myself) finally got the winch installed last night and I'm starting a big post on the install. It was a bear of an install but a total success and I'm really really happy with the results! I wanted to write because after a lot of inner debate and advice I got from different people, I finally decided to go with a polished aluminum hawse instead. The rope ended up costing too much $$ and I wanted to be extra careful about the possibility of it catching on the rougher inner lip of the steel fairlead. That said, I feel really bad about all the posting back and forth, and wanted to say that I'll either ship the fairlead back to you fully at my expense 92toy, OR, I can ship it to another YT member such as muddpigg or whoever will definitely use it. I wanted to thank you again 92Toy for your generosity and hope you're not offended by my final choice to use an aluminum fairlead instead of steel. I didn't want you to see my install post and realize that I was using another fairlead! Thanks again, I'll wait on your decision as to what I should do with the Hawse, and I'll take it from there.
taiko
I got your email, by no means am I offended at all you went with what you thought was best. I understand that and I would have done the same. If anybody else can use it find it a good home. All I ask is it get used and that since I didn't profit from it no one else should either.