Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which lockers

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which lockers

I want to buy some lockers for my 87 22re 4Runner here's what's going on I'm running 33/12.50/15 Zuk mod 1 inch spacers up front I want to do a spartan up front I think and I want to run a selectable locker in the rear now either a Yukon zip or a arb but I think the Yukon has a better warranty now what about a e locker? I hear good things there made by Toyota and no air compressor.
Now here's some questions
If I run an automatic locker up front I have automatic hubs or what Toyota calls the add I believe. Will the locker only be engaged when I am in 4wd ? I know how the automatic lockers work but I'm curious because I know the front drive is not engaged unless hubs are locked.
Second question which locker for the rear elocker Yukon zip or arb now the arb is about 50 bucks more and has a lesser warranty.
Which reasons and if u went with air lockers where did u mount your compressors at? And what compressors are you running.
E locker sourcing where can I find one are there aftermarket elockers. What about buying a elocker diff and Changing ring and pinion to 4:10.
Reason I want a selectable locker is this is my dd I want to be able to drive long distances on freeway as well off road. Now I also want to know part numbers because it's hard to know what parts exactly to order for what axle and what site. Obviously I want to save as much $$ as possible
Old 02-01-2016, 07:01 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm back to running a loc-rite in the rear. It was my spare as the pinion bearing went out on my ARB rear. I've driven the loc-rite from NC to WA, currently winter driving it in upstate NY. It doesn't bother me a bit and the quirks of driving an auto locker are I find enjoyable. It is predictable but did require a learning curve when I first started driving with it. I don't understand all the nay saying people complain about auto lockers but we live in a country were most ppl prefer driving an automatic transmission so maybe that is why.

I got the ARB used because my wife hated the autolocker but she doesn't drive a 5spd very well so the quirks of the auto locker drove her crazy. Don't get me wrong the ARB is awesome but don't discredit an autolocker just my opinion.

I mounted the compressor just in front of the roll bar in my 4 rnr on the wheel well.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:28 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I would put the selectable locker up front especially if your truck is your DD.
The PNW doesn't get icey/snowy conditions very oFten but when it does it sucks with a locked front end on the street..truck likes to go straight even when turned..

Locked rear end isn't bad
Old 02-02-2016, 04:53 AM

Thanks guys I'm going to do some snow wheeling for 3 days never drivin with a locker and I would like to have a long term investment I think if i can hang I'll do a Yukon zip in the rear with a arb compressor. Shop quoted 1400 bucks for a built 3rd member with a zip installed. Now say I install the compressor what level of install is that thing am I gonna be drilling holes everywhere routing tubing and such. With the money instead of getting a front locker I think that a winch is needed more over a locker especially if I'm going alone. Both e locker and compressed seem to have a pretty big install. A lot of guys I've talked to say have a professional do the gears. Which is fine but it's like another 700 bucks I guess worth with when they give u a guarantee. Also I am running 4:10 gearing still should I make the up grade to 4:88 I will be running 33/1250 making a upgrade to wider tires. I'm in the process of replacing all my front end steering stuff along with new shocks and stabilizer. Driving with a locker feel like you are in 4 low all the time ?
Old 02-02-2016, 05:30 AM

Also say I went the grizzly in the rear how is it on the freeway a lot of people mention it kicking them into other lanes ? I don't drive to much on the freeway but when I do it's for a few hours at at a time

Last edited by punks_is_4x4; 02-02-2016 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:33 AM

Watch out with "professional install" as toyotas are a horse of a different color so unless the professional has experience with Toyota diffs there is no promise. I sent all mine out to Zuk and I've been tricked before by a local professional.

Yes, 4:88s will make a huge difference. Will feel like a peppy little truck again.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:39 AM

Well there is a shop I see on my way out to mt hood that always has built rigs all over the place a big shop. But one of my more experienced wheeler buddies has a gear guy he recommended for that
Old 02-02-2016, 11:44 AM

word of mouth is huge. You don't want to get stranded in no mans land from a poor gear install. For compare cost of gear install vrs ARB/Zip install. So it doesn't cost more in long run.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by punks_is_4x4
T Shop quoted 1400 bucks for a built 3rd member with a zip installed. ... A lot of guys I've talked to say have a professional do the gears. Which is fine but it's like another 700 bucks I guess worth with when they give u a guarantee. ...Driving with a locker feel like you are in 4 low all the time ?
From what i understand a Zip Locker is an older model ARB locker. If I was gonna spend 1400 I would just get an ARB, their aftermarket support is awesome. A friends compressor burned up a couple of weeks ago. It was still under warranty but they just gave him a new one.

Setting up gears is an art form . Check out Zuk's site gearinstalls.com and look at some of his set ups.

Driving with a rear locker is not like driving around in 4low..unless you are in 4 low
Old 02-02-2016, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
ARB Air Locker vs Yukon Zip Locker - YouTube
From what i understand a Zip Locker is an older model ARB locker. If I was gonna spend 1400 I would just get an ARB, their aftermarket support is awesome. A friends compressor burned up a couple of weeks ago. It was still under warranty but they just gave him a new one.

Setting up gears is an art form . Check out Zuk's site gearinstalls.com and look at some of his set ups.

Driving with a rear locker is not like driving around in 4low..unless you are in 4 low
Thanks DZ. Cool vid, I hadn't seen that..