Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jounce shocks for more uptravel

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jounce shocks for more uptravel

Ok, sitting over here in AFG and thinking up ways to improve the truck. I've noticed most IFS (I've got a 1991) improvements (BJ spacers) improve droop and not up travel. I'm assuming this is because of fender clearance issues. An idea I was contemplating is clearancing the fender either through cutting or a 2" body lift and removing the LCA bumpstops. I would then replace the bump stops with hydraulic ones or jounce shocks. They would be spaced to provide more uptravel before completely stopping the suspension. So what would the problems with this be? Can a jounce shock be located that close to the frame end of the LCA? How much force will compress a typical jounce shock? (I understand they are adj). Would I need to position them above the factory bumpstop location by 1/2" or 1" if I'm going for 2 more inches of up travel in slow speed situations generally speaking. If fender clearance were a non factor, how much up travel could be gained on a IFS toyota?
Old 12-09-2010, 11:51 AM

what in the world is a jounce shock?
Old 12-09-2010, 01:58 PM

just keep in mind cv bind. its a lot easier to get travel then it is to get travel and still be able to send power to those wheels.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tpaine14
just keep in mind cv bind. its a lot easier to get travel then it is to get travel and still be able to send power to those wheels.
you can go quite a ways up before maxing the up travel out.

This idea will be fine. Like stated, don't go so far that the CV's bind. Stop a little below that. Get some better flex. Be happy.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:21 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
For that matter might as well look at a long travel set up. Thats what most of us do when we redeploy is blow deployment cash on cool toys. If your not going fast than SAS.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another option is to just run a low profile bumpstop. I've done that before...

Although I'm not sure if the added up travel was the problem, both of my outer tie rod ends bent
Old 12-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by muddpigg
For that matter might as well look at a long travel set up. Thats what most of us do when we redeploy is blow deployment cash on cool toys. If your not going fast than SAS.
Nah. Do what you want. No reason to blow loads of money unless you've got it, and know what you want to do with it.

Last edited by AxleIke; 12-09-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:25 AM

I was thinking of going with the jounce shock set up first and seeing what travel could be had. If I can get within a couple of inches of a true LT set up then good. If not, then I probably will go with a long travel and I'll already have the jounce shocks in place for that.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're thinking outside the box and i like that... But... back to reality. You're not going to see much more uptravel regardless of whether it's restricted or not (bump stop, jounce shocke [whatever that is]) The torsion bars will stop your uptravel (well achieving max compression) on a light pickup, you'll see a bit more compression more often with the runner or with the 3 slow because of the added weight.

You can TURN the bars so you max out the uptravel more easily but then you're lowering the front of the truck. Have to bare in mind that the torsion bar is only going to turn so much, and the only way it can turn further is by adding more torque which you do by adding more weight to the vehicle. Thats why LT kits allow for more travel, they dont attempt to create more radius (arc of the suspension travel) they just extend it out and basic geometry takes over.

Get some low pro bumps for a few bucks and BJ spacers. Up travel isnt important enough on such a mediocre suspension (IFS) setup to begin with i hardly see the point in spending excess energy on improving it this much.

Last edited by drew303; 12-10-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by warpigg
what in the world is a jounce shock?
It acts more as a bumpstop than a shock:

but works much better than a bumpstop would...
Old 12-10-2010, 01:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
air bump ... jounce shock.. hmm learn something new everyday

i could use a pair on the front of my rig, thing bottoms out uber easy on speed bumps. Kinda gettn old
Old 12-10-2010, 05:00 AM

Yeah, I've already got some BJ spacers up front and some F150 springs in the back. For the money, it's amazing how much better both of those mods make the truck ride both on and off road.
Drew,
Good point about the TB being the limiting factor on slow up travel. I do wonder how the ride will improve on faster stuff (including the highway). I noticed that the truck rode better with the TB at stock crank with BJ spacers than it did relaxing them back down to factory ride height. This was due to hitting the up stops on the highway. Once I allowed for a little more up travel the ride improved.

Last edited by 91diesel; 12-10-2010 at 05:03 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by drew303
You're thinking outside the box and i like that... But... back to reality. You're not going to see much more uptravel regardless of whether it's restricted or not (bump stop, jounce shocke [whatever that is]) The torsion bars will stop your uptravel (well achieving max compression) on a light pickup, you'll see a bit more compression more often with the runner or with the 3 slow because of the added weight.

You can TURN the bars so you max out the uptravel more easily but then you're lowering the front of the truck. Have to bare in mind that the torsion bar is only going to turn so much, and the only way it can turn further is by adding more torque which you do by adding more weight to the vehicle. Thats why LT kits allow for more travel, they dont attempt to create more radius (arc of the suspension travel) they just extend it out and basic geometry takes over.

Get some low pro bumps for a few bucks and BJ spacers. Up travel isnt important enough on such a mediocre suspension (IFS) setup to begin with i hardly see the point in spending excess energy on improving it this much.
Possibly. With ball joint spacers, I hit my LCA bumps all the time. The torsion bar will go quite a bit farther than the stock stops will allow. Eventually, yes, you will reach its limit. To be honest, I think there is more of a concern of breaking the mounts.

Here is some dudes build thread and truck. As you can see, he is going farther than stock:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...-build-223588/
Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 AM

I think that picture says it all. He's got a bracket lift there, but the TB don't know that. Right now I'm thinking my overall plan will be first to disconnect my TB on one side and see what binds, pinches, or scrapes. I plan on building a longer front shock mount, maybe some sort of hoop. This way I can run a larger (less fade) front shock and make sure the shock will never be a limiting factor. Then I think relocating the bumpstops and the addition of jounce shocks for better front travel. I bet the jounce shocks will really shine when you see those slightly whoopie spots that are muddy and you need 'just a little' momentum to get you through. Like I said before, I was amazed at how smooth the truck has sailed over some ruts after doing the BJ spacer and F150 springs. And if that stuff doesn't do the trick for me, I probably will go LT and I'll already be set up better than stock for that.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:52 AM

Also, I've never really looked at my TB rear mounts other than to level the truck. I know a 91 should have a beefier set up the the 1st gen IFS. Is there a way to brace it/make it stronger. The truck originally had a V6 in it so it all ready has the HD front TB mounts.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 91diesel
Also, I've never really looked at my TB rear mounts other than to level the truck. I know a 91 should have a beefier set up the the 1st gen IFS. Is there a way to brace it/make it stronger. The truck originally had a V6 in it so it all ready has the HD front TB mounts.
No, its the same. Genearlly its the tensioning arm that breaks.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:14 PM

I cant believe no one has asked the big question here.... What do you do with your truck? Is it a DD/weekend warrior? What kind of trails do you run?

Someone said SAS'd rigs are only good for going slow, with the correct link geometry and some bling bling shocks that statement is false.

You are beating a dead horse in till you explain what you use the truck for.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Possibly. With ball joint spacers, I hit my LCA bumps all the time. The torsion bar will go quite a bit farther than the stock stops will allow. Eventually, yes, you will reach its limit. To be honest, I think there is more of a concern of breaking the mounts.

Here is some dudes build thread and truck. As you can see, he is going farther than stock:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...-build-223588/
IIRC, his truck either DOESNT have a top bumpstop, or doesn't have a bumpstop extender.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by peow130
IIRC, his truck either DOESNT have a top bumpstop, or doesn't have a bumpstop extender.

Either way its not a good setup
Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 PM

update with more questions.
I've fabbed up some taller shock towers (bolted to the cross shaft) and installed some 5100's made for a toyota with a 4" bracket lift. I welded the shock tab at the height just above where my diff dropped, BJ spacer front end starts binding the CVs. I've tried crossing it up a little with the bump stops removed and so far I've had no luck getting my up travel. Is it because I've got a V6 truck (with a 4cy diesel?). Is there a difference in V6 and 4cy torsion bars? If so, I think I'm gonna locate a set of 4cy ones and see how that does. Will all TB swap with each other 86-95?