Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARB Bearing Failure??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB Bearing Failure??

Not sure how to explain this one...
Anyway I installed some new 4.88's and an ARB in the rear of my '79 a few months ago, only driven it for maybe 300 miles. All new bearings, new ARB, and new Yukons.
Last week I pulled my ancient worn out L43 4 speed because I'm swapping in a W56 with a 4.7 Transfer case.

While I had the truck on the lift, after I pulled the rear driveline, I grabbed the flange and was turning the diff by hand. I was suprised to feel what felt like a bad pinion bearing, but, theres no play in the pinion at all. Zero play, in, out, sideways. But it also feels like it might be inside the ARB. I've only tried it when the ARB is unlocked. It's hard to explain the exact feel, almost a slight 'roughness' when turning the flange. definately doesnt feel the same as when I turn the flange of the front diff (with a LockRight), the front feels smooth and normal.

So is it normal for an ARB to be like this? Do the spiders, or whatever is in an ARB, 'feel' different than a normal carrier or other locker? Does any of this make sense?

Or should I just pull it next week and check it out.

Sorry about the long post, and terrible explanation. I can't think of any better way to describe the way it feels.

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2007, 08:21 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have noticed that my ARB has a bit more "play" like backlash in the driveshaft than a "regular" diff.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm.. im thinking maybe what im feelin is the 'spiders' (whatever an ARB Has). maybe they do feel different than a normal open diff. Next friday I'll have it back on the lift when I'm puttin my tranny in. I'll lock the ARB and see if it feels the same or goes away. If it feels the same it might be a bearing issue. if it goes away im going to pass it off as normal when unlocked.
thanks!!