Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air bags with SAS rear leaves

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air bags with SAS rear leaves

Hello all,

The bank gave me a credit so I will be able to start my SAS soon, I'm anxious.

I plan on using Trail-Gear front 3'' springs and 4'' rear leaves kit.

As I like to go to the desert (Sahara, Morocco...) and I'd like to do it once a year if I can, I've been thinking in adding some airbags to the rear suspension. Some friends of mine have them in coiled 4Runners and they're so great for heavy loads in that kind of trips.

Do you know if the airbags would be OK with long rear leaves like the TG ones and if they will be long enought when the suspension flexes? I want the capability of having the truck "normal" with the only weight at the rear of the recovery gear and so, and being able to mantain the height when loaded with cooler, jerrycans, two spares and all that amount of things we carry in a trip to the Sahara.

Greets,

David
Old 07-27-2007, 02:46 AM

only problem i see with that picture is that the toyota frames arent boxed in the back, or at least the frame on my 04 taco isnt... you might have to box part of it to mount an airbag setup in that way. I have a friend who has airbags on a SASd S10, he crammed the biggest airbags he could find on the FRONT of the vehicle along with 4link style coils, i thought it was strange at fist but after seing their articulation, and the ability to support a swapped in 350, i was rather impressed.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:59 AM

Well, the supports don't worry me as I'm goint so SAS I think that would be my best problem.

The think I don't know if how much distance can be between the leaf pack and the bumpstop when one side is fully extended...

David
Old 07-27-2007, 06:11 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by apalmer1
only problem i see with that picture is that the toyota frames arent boxed in the back, or at least the frame on my 04 taco isnt... you might have to box part of it to mount an airbag setup in that way.
that's a HUGE difference in the Taco and pre-Taco trucks. PreTacos and 4runners are fully boxed pretty much all the way back
Old 07-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I'm working on a single center air bag for my 1st gen. Using an inverting tapered sleeve bag instead of the convoluted type which has ~8" of travel. Also designing it to separate from the axle under full droop. Since it is in the center, articulation will not be an issue.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 07-27-2007 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:08 AM

I was thinking about something like this for hauling loads. Currious how it goes.

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
I'm working on a single center air bag for my 1st gen. Using an inverting tapered sleeve bag instead of the convoluted type which has ~8" of travel. Also designing it to separate from the axle under full droop. Since it is in the center, articulation will not be an issue.
I would really like to see that. Would the axle be able to hold weight like that from on top of the diff? Keep us posted on that too!
Old 07-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

Should not be a problem. Will be bracing the top of the axle for the lower air bag mount (it'll also have to pivot to keep the base of the bag level). Not supporting the entire weight of the truck, only perhaps 500 lbs. of the added weight.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:09 PM

It's a good idea, Roger.

Something like that coil Zuk used but with an airbag... I didn't think about putting it in the center but it's a very good idea. Will only one bag be able to hold the added weight?

David
Old 07-27-2007, 01:13 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems like that will be REAL finicky to being located EXACTLY under the center of gravity of the truck. If the weight is more to one side, the truck will want to lean won't it?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, along the lines of the Zuk coil, but adjustable.

I forget the exact rating, but I think the air bag is rated for 1000-1500 lbs. at full pressure, I think it is from an RV application. The mounts (upper and lower) will be adjustable to get the bag centered under the frame and axle. Won't really lean any more than it would with the leaf springs only. The bag is only there to take up the weight of the cargo, the springs on either side will handle most of the weight. Will also be adding a rear sway bar (with disconnects) to help with stability.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:37 PM

I really want to see it done!
Old 07-28-2007, 02:59 AM

Me too!

David
Old 07-28-2007, 06:47 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I haven't forgottne about you David, jsut been swamped with moving into a new shop.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:28 AM

Hello again,

I've been thinking... And what about the front? Do you think it's possible to add the air bags? Maybe they are not so so useful as the weight in the front uses to remain the same, but maybe they would be nice "soft" bumpstops... I want my SASed truck to be able to cruise at certain speed (Not prerrunning anyways) in the dirt roads and airbumps as flyg have are nice but pricey...

Returning to the rear, do you know how much travel can experiment the rear leaves in the U-Bolt part with 5'' MC leaves? I'm trying to figure out which bags to use and my truck is not SASed yet.

David
Old 08-10-2007, 04:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
When you SAS the ride becomes very nice and soft. You dont have to worry about a bad ride. I doubt you will need to put airbags in the front. Good luck
Old 08-10-2007, 05:02 AM

Well, actually I'm only worried about touching the bumpstops at high speed. With my IFS and the truck loaded touching the bumpstops was very hard...

David
Old 08-10-2007, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

You can use air shocks:
- http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/air_shocks/

and there are also air or hydraulic bump stops that the desert racing folks use.

You should see 8"-12" of spring travel on the rear end at the u-bolt location, maybe more.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 08-10-2007 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:07 AM

Thanks Roger.

The air shocks don't seem to be what I need, the air/oil bumpstops are but I think they're pricey... If I'm not wrong it's what flygenstein runs.

8'' or more it's a lot of travel... I'll try to figure out how to put airbags in the rear with such a long travel. The idea you had it's very nice but maybe a more traditional setup it's easier to do...

David
Old 08-10-2007, 09:14 AM

I still want to see the design Roger comes up with for the center airbag sitting on top of the pumpkin. I might have to copy it :O
Old 10-12-2007, 11:16 AM

Timbren bumps

You might be able to figure something out with these. I'm planning on using these as a cheaper alternative to $$$ air bumps for the front of my rig.

Quick Reply: Air bags with SAS rear leaves