Early Land Cruisers All solid front axles and Land Cruiser series - 25, 40, 45, 55, 60, 62, and 80

considering a 67 fj40

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
considering a 67 fj40

I'm considering pick up an old 67 fj40 that comes w/ chev v8 on a 3 speed tranny with a manual steering aftermarket saginaw. What else should I look for (besides the obvious)? (minor rust on the rear tub approx 3"x2" which can be repaired). I'm planning on checking out the fj this weekend (since I'll have time) so I'd like to have a list of q's to ask and look for when I check it out

The price is very reasonable so I thought I'd ask ya guys on what to look for. Initially I was looking for a newer fj40 (late 70's like the one sizzlechest just got) but this one is making me think twice.

I know since this is a 67 so it probably has the ball joint axle (best replaced to the birfields?). Will prob look into picking up a late 78 axle or something so I can swap the entire axle and get the disc as well (unless there's an alternative option) - want disc so that's a mod that i'll have to think about.

Anyway bottom line is if I look into any ol fj40 it'll be ALOT of TLC (but I know it's all worth it) but should I be looking for a newer one or do you guys think this will work out? I'm looking initially to drive it while I work on my 4runner so it's gotta run (which it does at the moment w/o any leaks etc etc). My commute is only 8 mi one way so I'm not stressing about it that much.

Just to give ya an idea of what I plan to do w/ the fj40 is that it won't be used to rock crawl but rather just take it on the easy trails It's more for fun than serious stuff (unlike the 4runner) so it won't see nothing more than 32's (or 33's if I get a steal on em).

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Banned

gosh, Lance ... get that and you'll have a hard time deciding which one to take out each time!
Old 07-18-2004, 08:47 PM

Damn you Lance!

I have no idea as to what you might want to look for in terms of trouble.

Here's something...

and something else...

and something else...

Nerd.

Meghan's Grandparents have a 65 FJ-40 at their house at Lake Mead. I don't think it's been started in two years... I'm the only person to drive it when we go out there, and the only one to not want to abuse the hell out of it.

:sigh:

If you get it I'm sure you'll be getting an invite to come over for dinner or something of the sort...

Old 08-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Lance,

Seems like there is quite a number of us that have picked up 40's in the last couple of months. I've had mine since March or so. The older ones are a bit more work. I've got a 1973. As far as putting disc brakes on the front, you'll want to go with a 1979 or newer minitruck axle. I think its 76-78 that used a different spline axle, 1979 and on used the stronger fine spline axles that are alot easier to get spares. Don't go with the kits which sell you GM calipers/rotors. The brake swap is an easy excuse to upgrade axles. Its turned out to be a ton of work, and mine has been running only 1% of the time that I've had it. However, I went in with the expectation that it would take a couple of years before I would be close to being "finished," whatever that means. Old beater fj40's around here (WA) still go for 5,000 plus, I got a deal from a Yotatechy for 3 grand, and have already spent at least 2000 since I got it- new front bumper, winch bracket, soft top, rear bumper/tirecarrier, new carb, and I'm just getting warmed up......

Last edited by Mad Chemist; 08-02-2004 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Contributing Member

David, I too am looking at years before it will be complete. I figure this will be an on going project of mine. The good news is that it runs nicely right now aside from a few leaks here and there (gotta replace the rear main seal though.. ugh).

The owner was able to give me a 2nd axle w/ a disc swap done so all I really need is get a few parts from a mini truck and i should be fine. i won't be doing this mod anytime soon but it is something that will be on the list of things to do.

I know that I'm probably way over my head on the fj40 but I'm definitely up for the task so we'll see where I get stumped. There's wealth of info from members here as well as members on ih8mud.com so I do plan to ask alot when the time comes.

I'm just excited to be part of the TLC community
Old 08-03-2004, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I definitely feel like I'm part of something "special" now. As far as being in over your head, just wait.....I get a little overwhelmed now and again, but I'm learning alot about vehicles that we normally don't think about with the wonders of modern electronics. They're certainly alot simpler to work on.