RC Vehicles Discussion on remote controlled vehicles of all types

new toy, a crawler!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new toy, a crawler!

anyone here into rc crawlers? i just picked up an axial ax10 artr last night. can't wait for it to break in all the way, it just doesn't flex well at all out of the box.

funny, i thought rc crawlers were silly when i first saw them. now i'm hooked!

sorry, no action shots yet (too dark last night in the rock garden)... so here's some poser shots at work. hey, its still dirty from last night.

tomorrow i'm taking the woman to the beach for the day, i figure a perfect spot for the crawler up on the rocks at cape kiwanda. just gotta keep it out of the drink.

specs:
axial ax10 w/ 30 degree bent rear links
integy 65t motor
novak rooster speed control
futaba servo
futaba control/rcvr
long life 6-cell batt
hammer tires w/ memory foam

i think i'm going to pick up a new body for it also, probably a k5 blazer.

Al
Old 08-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Pretty sweet.

I got a HPI Savage... It just likes to get air and go fast through sand dunes, it crawls alright, but, not like that.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:16 PM

i got tamiya ford f350 and t maxx 2.5
Old 08-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Cape Kiwanda would be a cool spot. I might just have to look into one of these things...how much?
I suppose if I forget about the driveshafts I need I might be able to get one...
Can you get a 1st Gen body for one?

edit: looks like you need to fix your pinion angle

Last edited by dropzone; 08-16-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Cape Kiwanda would be a cool spot. I might just have to look into one of these things...how much?
I suppose if I forget about the driveshafts I need I might be able to get one...
Can you get a 1st Gen body for one?

edit: looks like you need to fix your pinion angle
haha, the pinion angle is fixed. its actually an illusion because the transmission outputs are offset to the passy side but the diffs are centered. only blew out 1 u-joint so far..... i flipped it on its lid in the rock garden, tried to flip it back by throttling through it.... *snap!* and a puff of dust it was 2wd!

they are fairly expensive, this ARTR kit was like 259. you can build it yourself for 219 or so, only has a few worse components. you'll need the electronics (controller, receiver, speed control, motor and servo) and the most expensive part is the speed control. usually over 100 bucks, and the nice ones you can over double that. the other parts are fairly cheap.

i'm only in it about 300 so far, borrowing my cousins extra speed control and got some parts off some parted rc cars i had at work. only needed a battery (35) and a motor (25). so i'm in it about 300. but i'm already planning on grabbing some softer rate springs and 2 more bent links. its sooo easy to get carried away....

oh, and tamiya makes a gen 1 body. i'm not sure if you can get it without their kit though, that runs almost 400 bucks! ouch...

and if you do get one, you'll have to stop by my cousins place in wilsonville once we build a decent course in his back yard. some rock, some dirt, and maybe some water...

Al

Last edited by Al's Chop Shop; 08-17-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heres a pic of mine! I wanna start competing soon! fun stuff...

Old 08-17-2008, 11:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
you so need to murder out those rims!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by pattycakes77
you so need to murder out those rims!
omg totally

Check out my LED night lights...the fun goes down but the party doesnt stop!!!!!!! hehe
Old 08-18-2008, 12:30 AM

alright, here is a couple videos from today's fun out at cape kiwanda. turns out i just don't have enough weight on the crawler to dig into the hard packed sand, so it was tough to get traction on anything but the few rocks up there. its hard to tell by the camera angle but it is all pretty steep terrain. i've also decided that the springs are waaaay too stiff. i'm going to pick up the ultra soft springs tomorrow and see how they do. if they end up too soft i can always use spring spacers to up the spring rate. the spring rate on the stock springs are so tight the only articulation is compression (no down travel)... and i don't have near enough weight on it to flex it well. on my cousins rig we taped two lug nuts on each axle to help.... but it doesn't change the fact that there is no up travel. its really going to take some tweaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNkyFfBYnMY
**sorry about the shakey camera, my girl hasn't video'd anything before.

another thing i noticed, the amount of torque twist these things get with the torquey motors. you can see the difference by the amount of front axle flex it gets depending what tire i put on this rock on approach. the torque shoves the drivers front tire down, almost removing all flex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qYFFNbfgW4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mveh6AOqb4A

Al
Old 08-18-2008, 12:33 AM

dirtoyboy, if you want to compete id first start by dumping the rock lizard tires. the hammer tires with memory foam grip so much better!

btw, what are the specs on your rig?

oh- and your hi clearance links are on backwards.

Al

Last edited by Al's Chop Shop; 08-18-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Al's Chop Shop
dirtoyboy, if you want to compete id first start by dumping the rock lizard tires. the hammer tires with memory foam grip so much better!

btw, what are the specs on your rig?

oh- and your hi clearance links are on backwards.

Al
yea i know! I was learning along the way....Now it has a punisher shaft in the rear, integy 65 turn motor, and a mamba max ESC...yea I know the tires need to go bye bye...

What kinda memory foamdo you think is good?
Old 08-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by Al's Chop Shop
they are fairly expensive, this ARTR kit was like 259. you can build it yourself for 219 or so, only has a few worse components. you'll need the electronics (controller, receiver, speed control, motor and servo) and the most expensive part is the speed control. usually over 100 bucks, and the nice ones you can over double that. the other parts are fairly cheap.

i'm only in it about 300 so far, borrowing my cousins extra speed control and got some parts off some parted rc cars i had at work. only needed a battery (35) and a motor (25). so i'm in it about 300. but i'm already planning on grabbing some softer rate springs and 2 more bent links. its sooo easy to get carried away....

oh, and tamiya makes a gen 1 body. i'm not sure if you can get it without their kit though, that runs almost 400 bucks! ouch...

and if you do get one, you'll have to stop by my cousins place in wilsonville once we build a decent course in his back yard. some rock, some dirt, and maybe some water...

Al
price isn't actually too bad in the whole scheme of things, just need to start stashing some cash...pick up stuff here and there. Heck I bought 2 cars and a ton of parts off craigslist, maybe I will get lucky

I could see myself getting carried away too...if an RC breaks though it won't take up the whole driveway or garage...

if i get one will have to head down to wilsonville...Looks like a nice, typical day at the coast...it was hot saturday in PDX, down there would have been awesome there...

forgot about the tamiya, i posted this one last year...but way too much $$$$
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...thread-122405/
http://rcdriver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205
Awesome detail put into an RC...I just hope my '81 flexes as well when I am done....

Last edited by dropzone; 08-18-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Dunno if you would call it wasting time but I just blew an hour and half watching RC vids on youtube.....
Gonna go hit the Hobby shop down on TV hiway to see how much...than gonna try to get the third back in the '81...
Old 08-18-2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
yea i know! I was learning along the way....Now it has a punisher shaft in the rear, integy 65 turn motor, and a mamba max ESC...yea I know the tires need to go bye bye...

What kinda memory foamdo you think is good?
the stock stuff that came in the ARTR is worlds better then the stuff in the AX10 kit. my cousin has the kit and it is night and day on the memory foam and the grip of the hammer tires. the hammer tires are so soft i actually noticed a bit of wear after the first night of crawling around on rocks. i do plan to cut my foam to let the tire flatten out a bit more, but i'm going to play with the springs and weight placement first. on my cousins rig we taped two long lugnuts to the servo plates of each axle. it helped a huge amount. they also make saddle battery packs for the front axle but i dont think they have them in anything over 1500mah. i gotta have the 3300... i get 45 minutes to an hour play time on just a 15 minute charge.

rob- it was about 30 degrees cooler at the coast. weather reports said it was going to be sunny, but we had a little thunderstorm when we first got there. after playing around with the crawler for about an hour we hiked to the very end of the cape. scrambling up the last ledge i noticed my forehead tickled. figuring it was my hair i ignored it for a few minutes. then i realized my whole head was tingling. i asked the girl if her head was tingling too... she agreed then i noticed her hair was standing on end!! i quickly realized we could become lightning rods with no trees around, so we hauled ass back inland. scary!!

Al
Old 08-18-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
price isn't actually too bad in the whole scheme of things, just need to start stashing some cash...pick up stuff here and there. Heck I bought 2 cars and a ton of parts off craigslist, maybe I will get lucky

I could see myself getting carried away too...if an RC breaks though it won't take up the whole driveway or garage...

if i get one will have to head down to wilsonville...Looks like a nice, typical day at the coast...it was hot saturday in PDX, down there would have been awesome there...

forgot about the tamiya, i posted this one last year...but way too much $$$$
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...thread-122405/
http://rcdriver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205
Awesome detail put into an RC...I just hope my '81 flexes as well when I am done....

oh my god.

thats sooo amazing, i want it lol
Old 08-18-2008, 09:26 AM

Dunno if you would call it wasting time but I just blew an hour and half watching RC vids on youtube.....
Gonna go hit the Hobby shop down on TV hiway to see how much...than gonna try to get the third back in the '81...
i assume you mean tammies near the beaverton town square? they have the kits there but the rc guy seems to be a total a$$. i got my kit there (only ones to have it in stock) but all got my other parts from at the hobby store in wilsonville.

Al
Old 08-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Fossilized
Staff

the one I went to is Rc Modeler Northwest, just off 170th and TV Hwy (technically Shaw Street).
They had one for $289 complete just need to provide battery and charger...
pretty good selection of tires, control arms, motors etc.

this deal on craigslist might be worth calling about but I am broke
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tag/801415457.html

my wife said to tell you thanks

Sounds like you and your wife left just in time...I was working saturday night and was watching the Natural fireworks about 2AM, it was awesome

Guess I need to concentrate on getting one toy running first before I think of another one
Old 08-19-2008, 01:27 AM

tell your wife i'm sorry. well, not really.

yeah... it was a close call on the cape. it was a humbling experience. my brother asked if i had st elmo's fire over my head... a dig because i'm tall and skinny. :p

so you live in aloha or beaverton then? never knew there was another hobby store near here. tammies hobbies is next to video only on canyon.

anyhow... i just found a great place to play... summer lake. just 3 blocks from my house.

here is a couple videos from sunday's fun out at cape kiwanda, before the near death experience. turns out i just don't have enough weight on the crawler to dig into the hard packed sand, so it was tough to get traction on anything but the few rocks up there. its hard to tell by the camera angle but it is all pretty steep terrain. i've also decided that the springs are waaaay too stiff.

**sorry about the shakey camera, my girl hasn't video'd anything before.

another thing i noticed, the amount of torque twist these things get with the torquey motors. you can see the difference by the amount of front axle flex it gets depending what tire i put on this rock on approach. the torque shoves the drivers front tire down, almost removing all flex from the front axle.

today i picked up some softer springs. i was giong to go with the axial ultra soft but the guy at tammies suggested the losi white's, as most of the competition guys use them. they are shorter, and about half the spring rate of the stock springs. i had to use spacers to keep them on the spring plates. also i had a problem with the lower links hitting the bottom spring plates and knocking them off so i switched around the springs and lower links so the links are on the outside of the springs.

and now it settles much lower....

but it flexes like mad. i figured a softer spring would mean less predictability and more rollovers as well as more torque twist... but i found the opposite to be true! torque twist is still apparent under some circumstances but i found just blipping reverse drops the front end and i can continue normally.

i tested it out on the rocks (the new spot) and it does amazing now.

Al
Old 08-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Fossilized
Staff

i am in aloha...i might check out Tammie's for comparison. I appreciate you testing and finding out what works and what doesn't work, saves me some time and money before i get my RC

From the vid it looks like the new springs work great..Now it makes me think I need to go Minimum 37's on the Trekker..
Old 08-20-2008, 12:39 PM

well since you are so close you should stop by sunday when i'm back at summer lake park. my cousin is meeting me there with his. you are welcome to try mine out too.

i picked up driveshaft retainers last night, hopefully i won't blow out any more u-joints.... and saturday night i'm painting a new body. you guys might not like it much, but i don't care.

Al

Quick Reply: new toy, a crawler!