RC Vehicles Discussion on remote controlled vehicles of all types

new toy, a crawler!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i stopped by tammies and picked up a new speed control. they were out of rooster crawlers, so i compared the sidewinder and a tekin fxr. the tekin was a bit more expensive but i liked it better feature wise. and no delay reverse is going to be great! also, this esc is tiny! about 1/3 the size of my old rooster reversable. i also picked up a smaller reciever to save even more space.

oh, and i also piced up a pair of bent lower links for the front.

my next goal after installing the new esc this weekend is finding a better place to mount the battery. i like having it on the chassis instead of the axle, so i just need to mount it lower. i've been playing around with mounting it under the batt plate, but the transmission gear is so huge... i have a feeling i'll be buying a new chassis with more overall adjustment in the near future.

i played around with it and i need to get the battery a lot more secure... but i like the weight biased to the front. oh, and i found out how much esc's don't like water. oops.

Al
Old 08-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Al: sounds like you have been seriously infected

What time are you going out to Summer Lake park? No clue what we are doing tomorrow, monster in law invited us over for barbecue but dunno. If we are out and about will try to swing by...would be cool to meet you and bs about trucks..

Robb
Old 08-25-2008, 02:41 PM

infected for sure!!

never did make it out to the park... doh!! :banghead:

but i got the new body done friday night. unfortunately the losi white's were too low and soft to keep the tires from smacking the body even on acceleration so i stuck the axial super firms back in for now. that gave me a little more ride height and keeps the tires from hitting the body too much. with the added ride height the tires actually tuck into the wheel wells too. the only problem is the way i have the body it mounted... its really not rigid enough and the back flexes all over the place. i think i'm going to take some plastic strips or something like it and glue them all the way around the body for strength.

the color is 'true blue metallic' and it shot waaay lighter then expected and looked pretty flaming. so i shot black behind it and its now much darker, about what i wanted in the first place. i think it turned out pretty good for my first paint job. only a few blems. took forever to mask because i'm a perfectionist, but i think it was worth it for the end result.

Al
Old 08-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Fossilized
Staff

swapping out springs, bodies and flexing in the living room...life doesn't get better than that!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:00 PM

no kidding! and i can do the most extensive chassis mods i want in just under an hour with a couple of hex heads and a #2 phillips screwdriver.... and unlike real wrenching, i don't even have to wash my hands before i eat.

my cousin asked how long it would be before i start putting rocks in the living room.

Al
Old 08-27-2008, 05:17 PM

cool, time to put some solid axles under it and go to town!

Al
Old 08-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Fossilized
Staff

I agree that Panjero (montero) needs some solid axles...I just pulled the rear jump seats out of a real one and put them in my Trekker..kids love'em( OT but this is OT anyway )