RC Vehicles Discussion on remote controlled vehicles of all types

Any of you into Nitro's???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 07:46 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any of you into Nitro's???

Just wonder what other hobbies you guys were into.

Me and a few friends get together and race nitro's cars/trucks.

I've got a HPI Super Nitro Rally with some hop ups. Here's a pic of it, if your interested. Post your pics if you have any, if you race or just bash around like I do. I'm alway interested if anyone knows of some good tacks dirt or road.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Hey that's pretty damn sweet! I always had Tyco cheapy stuff, but it was never really fast or nice enough for me. What kind of bones do you have to plunk down to get started in that kind of thing?

Nice choice on the WRX by the way!
Old 05-07-2003, 08:20 AM

i gotta 1st gen RS4 Pro Electric and a Savage with a .26 in it... if u want a good messageboard try www.maxxtraxx.com ...alot of helpful guys there....

your car looks nice..
Old 05-07-2003, 08:47 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Toyota Punk
Hey that's pretty damn sweet! I always had Tyco cheapy stuff, but it was never really fast or nice enough for me. What kind of bones do you have to plunk down to get started in that kind of thing?

Nice choice on the WRX by the way!
Roughly, you can count on spending around $500 if your starting out. I believe the average kit is mid $300's. Then you have to buy your electronics, a minimum of $100. If it's a dirt or rally car, you'll probably need a high torque servo for your steering, but that will come after you wear out the one that came with the electronics. Glo plugs, and glo plug igniter. It's kind of like your spark plug, and the igniter warms it up, kind of like a diesel I think. Gas of course. That will basically get you going. I may have left something out. It's a money pit though, just like any car. You start hopping it up, sinking money into it week after week. Then you'll want something else. I bought mine used for $180 bucks, and it ran perfect. But then I bought an upgraded engine, and two speed tranny, clutch, gears, a better air filter, fuel line, fuel filter, exhaust, springs, wheels, tires, high torque servo, turn buckles, motor mounts...I'm sure the list goes on. I've probably got close to $700 into it. My buddy bought his new, and I think he has like $900-$1000 into his. It's crazy but they are a blast.

I raced this kid in his nissan sentra, and kicked his butt up to about 40 to 45. I had to stop because I was getting to far, and I could see very well. I think mine tops out close to 50mph, but I've never had it checked.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:48 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

Oh BTW thanks for the compliments!
Old 05-07-2003, 03:57 PM

I've got the nitro RS4 2 with the Silvia body and I've also got the T-Maxx. I'm going to put the spool in the T-Maxx...There's something about wheeling it, getting stuck, and just flipping the switch for the servo and having reverse.

Salue

I wouldn't suggest anybody jump into nitro, they should learn how to tune the engine first as it's a pretty steep learning curve. But once you learn, you'll never go back to electric.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

I have two shelves in the garage dedicated to R/C. They are as follows-(all Traxxas)
Nitro 4-Tec
Nitro Rustler
Nitro Stamped
Electric Rustler
Electric bandit

I re-piped the Nitro Rustler. That made a little bit of difference. Then I stripped the main gear. D'oh!
Eventually, I will install a larger engine in the 4-Tec. Probably the TRX 2.5. The Electric Rustler is stock. The Bandit has a different motor, I think either a 16 turn or 18 turn. I don't remember.
I'll have to get some video of the 4-Tec. It's friggin' fast!
Old 05-08-2003, 06:31 AM
JSB
Contributing Member

I've got a traxxas sledge hammer too. I've got a Tahoe body on it painted like my Burb. I don't play with it much at all though. I've got an upgraded motor on it but it's still not that fast. I was going to try an sell it, but I didn't think I would get much for it, so I'm saving it for my 3 year old boy. He loves the nitro, and has a little remote controlled tonka, so I'll let him upgrade in a year or two probably.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

I fly RC planes. Have a couple of hopped up aerobatic planes that have enough power to do unlimited vertical. I also do kitebuggying which is a blast. Here's a couple pics

I strapped a GPS to my leg once on a dry lakebed and I hit 57mph. It was pretty intense considering your sitting on a piece of nylon with wheel barrow tires supporting you. It's an awesome sport though. It's also done on water with boards. In the second pic you can see you can get some pretty serious air as well. If you do it just right it lets you down gently.. it can also hurt though!
Old 05-08-2003, 12:27 PM
JSB
Contributing Member

That's insane!!! I've never seen that before. I have a question...where the heck did your wheels go??? I've got to check this out. Cool Hobby man!!
Old 05-08-2003, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Jsb in that second pic I was just flying the kite with no buggy. Do a search on Kite buggying, Peter Lynn, and Flexifoil that should give you a good start. You only need a good grass field to buggy on.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:15 AM
Wes
Contributing Member

My R-34 Skyline GTR (HPI Nitro RS4 2).

Last edited by Wes; 05-18-2003 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Wes
My R-34 Skyline GTR (HPI Nitro RS4 2).

How fast does that thing go? That Skyline looks crazy Is that a crack I see in the first picture, right above the headlight?
Old 05-18-2003, 04:06 PM
Wes
Contributing Member

The paint's all cracked on that corner. My buddy and I were racing at our favorite spot, I was smoking him when on the return lap he pulled out in front of me on the straight away. I slammed into him full on, he got a broken suspension piece, all I had to do was pop out the body where it dented in.

I'm not sure how fast it goes, I haven't finished tuning my 2-needle carb yet. I know I have to have a very wide open parking lot, or else it's too fast to control (focusing on the car, while trying to avoid obstacles).
Old 05-18-2003, 07:54 PM

Another RC guy here.

I fly two types of planes right now. Funfly's which are smaller (40-50" or so wingspan) and most of the flying is done slow speed trying to hover the plane and flatspins etc.

The other type are 80" wingspan aerobatic planes that fly like the smaller ones, just more expensive when they crash .

I also have a Nitro Rustler 2.5 and an Electric HPI RS4 (that I'm trying to sell the HPI, not the Rustler... hint hint )

Mike- Gotta love those toys!!!
Attached Thumbnails Any of you into Nitro's???-cap20l.jpg  
Old 05-19-2003, 04:51 PM

Sweet, RC guys, RC was my first car related hobby. I have electrics only. I have a Traxxas 4tec, and a Losi XXX-T that I race at a local hobby shop in the stock truck category. I actually dismantled my 4tec and am going to create a rock crawler, using the front diff as a central diff on the crawler. It will be my desk/pebble crawler with a wheel base of myabe 6"-8".