Prerunner & All 2WD Rigs Discussions pertaining to non 4WD rigs

Tire Size

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Size

Hey guys im wondering what all you 2wd experts think will fit as far as tire size goes. I will have bj spacers with a little crank up front and i have an aal and a longer shackle in the rear. My fender heights are about 29 i have 4wd fenders and a tg bumper so the bumper wont be the limiting factor. I want to go as big as possible but still be able to stuff them in. I might try and grab a set of fabtech ucas as well.
Thanks in advance
Old 05-27-2011, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure, but I plan on stuffing 31s under mine after fabtech ucas, bj spacers, leaf-over-axle conversion, aal, and slightly longer shackles find their way onto my truck. I have given 33s some light consideration.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:03 AM

i have 31s

I run 31s. Mods are in my sig. You shouldnt run thr fabtech ucas with the bj spacers cause they do the same thing pretty much and will mess with your cv angles or something if i recall correctly. If i had to do it all over again i woulda just saved for tc long travel from the start but no do overs.

I have a rough ride now so im gonna throw some lift spindles on and relax the torsion bars back down. My height should stay the same with a better ride.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:06 PM

CV angles? No CVs here.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:18 PM

bj spacers + fabtech ucas discussed here

here you go - ball joint angle my bad

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-build-198696/

you can do it, just might give some issues with alignment. I personally haven't done it and wouldnt do it.

my .02 cents.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:29 PM

so would i be better off not trying to find a set of ucas and just run the spacer from 4crawler and get a lift spindle that way getting more lift but keep the angles better? im hoping to be able to fully stuff 31s and will probably run the chevy swap in the rear in the future to
Old 05-29-2011, 10:14 PM

Ah, atari.

I called Fabtech before ordering my UCAs back in Jan and I did ask them if I they would work with BJ spacers. The person I talked to on the phone (Paul? Steve? I can't remember the name) said they should be fine except that I might have to modify the UCAs to accept the spacers and thus void my warranty. I don't get a warranty as I'm outside the US anyways. They made no mention of alignment issues. I'd like to think that more than the 3 people I've found after some quick searches on Google who've complained have tried to do this and that maybe they haven't complained because they didn't have problems. Of course I can't seem to find anyone saying it works either and Fabtech did admit to me they do not sell many of those UCAs, so maybe I think wrong. I don't mind making my truck a guinea-pig to find out.

Last edited by Magnusian; 05-29-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:35 PM

Sorry 2wd guys not tryn to make anyone mad but i have a question for yall. What is the point of lifting a 2wd truck seems kinda pointless and a waste of cash. Like i said don't want to make anyone mad just someone to try and help me understand the reason of lift
Old 05-29-2011, 11:09 PM

Yeah you can go for it. But there is such thing as too much of a good thing. Like i said, personally, i wouldnt do it and i am really happy with my body lift. More room to work under the hood and the center of gravity change isnt as bad as it was with the suspension lift. And it made the cab a touch quieter.

Good luck with it of thats what you decide to do.

As far as lifting a 2wd is concerned, find me a 4wd extended cab pick up with a 22re in it in CA in decent shape and ill give you the 5K it will run. Easier to get the 2wd pick up with the 22re and lift it and maintain/work on the engine than find a donor rig and swap out the engines. For what i do the lift+locker was all within my means of diy. Engine swap, not so much.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:54 AM

Well, I figure at the worst I'll have to take the spacers off and wait for spindles. At the best it'll still be a temporary thing, I respect that you wouldn't consider doing it, I'm not doing it anyways just to ignore good advice. I'd like to to confirm or refute the small amount of info regarding the issue as I've read claims of it being fine and of it not being fine after doing some more research so I'd like to test it. At the least it should help get some more info out there for anyone looking to do the same in the future. This thread already appears on the first page of Google for "Fabtech UCAs and ball joint spacers" so if there's actual info about it in here rather than the handful of complaints on other sites which don't include much detail (aside from one pointing in the direction of positive camber being what gets messed up), then maybe it'll help someone down the line.

I don't have EFI, A/C, power steering, etc. so there is plenty of space in and around my engine already, I can even pull my starter from above and also easily fish out my alt. My issue with body lifts has to do with the look; I think that trucks with body lifts look kinda silly being so high up off the frame. Not that I'm trying to insult people who have them, I just wouldn't do it to mine.

baddest94: The reason why I'm lifting mine has to do with my diff, which kept bashing itself against rocks and culverts at my farm, I figure the 3-ish extra inches of clearance under the diff that I should end up with after putting on 31s will be more than enough to compensate for stuff that sticks out of the ground. Is that not justification in itself for a lift?

Last edited by Magnusian; 05-30-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:44 AM

Like i said wasnt tryn to get anyone mad just wanted to know the reason in lifting. Thanks atari56 and magnusian for answering do what cha do and have fun with it
Old 05-30-2011, 11:42 AM

No mad here bro, just a couple of crazies with 2wds.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:56 PM

magnusian where did you order your ucas from? i thought that they were not in production anymore and couldn't be found?
Old 05-31-2011, 03:51 AM

I ordered them through National 4wd in January, after calling Fabtech to confirm they still made them (they lied and said they had sets ready though, it actually took 2 months for them to make the arms and ship them out). They are an extremely low-volume part and from what I've been given to understand they are not long for this world. I'd say if you were to order some, do it now. They are still listed on Fabtech's site so I doubt they've been discontinued yet. I apologize if any previous post of mine about the UCAs brought about any confusion, you should be able to still get them.

I actually still don't have the UCAs, National is holding onto them until Sway-A-Way ships my torsion bars to them which should have been yesterday or today so hopefully I'll have it all soon.

Last edited by Magnusian; 05-31-2011 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:05 PM

Dang thats taking a long time. Another question about the arms do they require the sway away bars or can you run the stock bars and just not gain as much lift. Im curious because if so id rather grab a lift spindle and make a custom bj spacer thats slightly taller and keep my factory bars. Any suggestions i wanna build a solid setup but dont want to spend as much as a total chaos setup
Old 05-31-2011, 04:01 PM

Fabtech told me the upgraded tbars are required if not doing coil-overs. I dunno if you can crank the stock ones enough; I do know the spring rate is different on the SAWs but I wouldn't know how different. The kit and tbars ran me about $1600 after taxes and shipping which even with lift spindles down the line still puts me at about $2300 spent in total on the front suspension, a far cry from the $5-6k it was going to be for a LT kit, tbars, shocks, and shock mounts, plus freight to Canada, plus customs charges, plus other duties and taxes. I dunno how the cost would work out for you, but I couldn't justify spending well over half my truck's original MSRP on the front suspension though I could justify spending a third of that. Besides, I fully expect one day that I'll convert to 4wd and replacing expensive LT with a solid axle just seems like a big waste of money whereas the fabtech kit, tbars, and spindles are a significantly smaller waste and probably more readily salvaged and quickly sold as used.

Last edited by Magnusian; 05-31-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:32 PM

ya i would totally love to slap a TC kit on there and be able to blast the dunes but like what you said droppin 5g on just the front just doesn't work out. maybe if i can find a used set ill slap a set on but since you have to upgrade the torsions i can justify spending the cash now. unless i sell my other truck.
so with bj spacers and the 3" lift spindle i would be able to clear 31s pretty easy right?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by YOTAxwheeler
what would you say would be the best engine for a toyota i just bought its a 1990 pickup i plan on doing an sas probaly 6 inch lift and 37s i would mostly use it for snow wheeling and a little rock crawling it had a 22re stock
Someone please ban this guy...

I wouldn't do BJ spacers on a 2wd, just because of the potential that it might someday be a pre runner. spacers don't have a very good rep with guys that drive fast and jump. there's a big thread about spacers here:

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.ph...ft+spacers+bad

dezertrangers.com has lots of good info for 2wd trucks. I'd lurk around there for a while if I were you. also if you guys have the money right now, freakin buy this:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f11/...9-95-a-236026/

as far as lifting a 2wd, I did mine mostly cause it looks cool there's also a lot of potential for long travel which inevitably will give a little lift.

I have 29" tires on mine with a 3" lift spindle...I don't think I could fit 31s unless I cranked the t-bars an inch or so. I'd recommend finding a used pair of ucas and t-bars on race-dezert.com or dezertrangers.com. ttora has stuff sometimes too. good luck and have fun!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i'll second the non use of the ball joint spacers but only because the will not fit as the 2wd control arms, ball joints, and spindle are different. A 4wd ball joint spacer will not bolt up to a 2wd upper control arm and ball joint. I just skimmed through the thread but if it had yet to be mentioned i figured i'd mention it to save some one a couple bucks when trying to cheaply lift their 2wd. Could you make a set??? Shouldn't be too hard. Design them just like the 4wd spacers but with the 2wd bolt pattern and size. in relation to the spindle. In most cases it would function similar to a lift spindle by extending the upper part of the original spindle.
also x2 on checking dezertrangers and other sites for cheap used stuff. for 2wds.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:10 PM

Basically im looking for a little more lift from the spacers 4crawler sells them that are different than the 4wd ones. i am not going to build this truck into a prerunner im just looking to throw some bigger tires under and gain a little more clearance. it doesn't get beat on and it probably never will the fastest its ever gone on a gravel road is 30 and that was smooth. i also have 4wd fenders to the firewall is my tight spot

Quick Reply: Tire Size