Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

Ho ho ho, Santa came early (AR15 upgrades) Glock21SF/Glock 36 too

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 02:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran into a pot growing operation last year (or a meth lab, who knows...) way up in the cascades, glad I was better armed than they were but still alone, pretty scary to know there are super-creep tweekers running around here... should've called immigration... or maybe I should've just opened fire... my word against some dead tweekers....

if you carry concealed or own a gun, buy Masaad Ayoob's book 'In the Gravest Extreme', it will give you some things to think about for sure and is pretty much the 'who can I shoot and when can I shoot them' resource.

that being said, you can read all the books in the world but nothing will compare to REGULAR practice with your weapon when you find yourself in the heat of the moment... you won't have time to find your gun that's sitting in the glove box, you won't have time to think, only time to react (maybe).

sweet glock Corey, you can't go wrong with Glock... now get a Lone wolf barrel in that thing... my next purchase... about $135, drop in for the most part. I like the tru-glos...

one thing I love about glock (besides their proven reliability and simplicity) is the amount of aftermarket crap you can buy for them! tons of good replacement or repair parts available cheap. They are the AK or AR of pistols...
Old 01-24-2011, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While hiking in a remote heavily wooded canyon last summer I happened upon some freakazoid zombie type people. They were standing off the trail about 50 yards or so. I acknowleged them and went on down the trail. When I rounded the corner out of their sight, I heard what sounded like a stampede approaching the trail behind me.

I typically don't like strangers standing behind me much less following me down a trail 6 hours from anywhere civilized. So I glanced behind myself about every ten steps until I saw two of the males round the corner about 30 yards behind me and gaining fast.

They gave me the creeps when I passed them the first time as they stared me down. Now in apparent pursuit I began to panic. So I reached down to the hem of my untucked shirt and lifted the tail over a fully holstered Smith & Wesson 629 with a six inch barrel; a stainless beauty in .44 remington magnum. I unsnapped the retaining strap, unholstered it and checked the cylinder.

I had already checked the cylinder before I put it on at home, but this check was not for my information...it was for theirs. Upon reholstering my cannon, I flipped the tail of my shirt up at the small of my back to display as many of the 25 extra rounds in the belt loops as I could. I flashed another glance back toward their position in time to see them in full retreat.

For good measure I fired three rounds at a dead tree branch 30 or so yards to my right. The report filled the canyon with thunder and my heart with relief. I don't know if they were indeed pursuing me, but better safe than sorry. I just wish I had my 454 Casull with me instead.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks aa, what benefit does the new barrel give over the stock one?
Yes, the Truglow sights are pretty cool, glad I had them install them before I took it home.

Fuster, that is a pretty creep story there.
Sounded like a robbery could have gone down or worse.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:36 PM

Yeah Corey, it was like a scene out of Deliverance...sept for this time the hillbillies got scared off...
Old 01-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

That is pretty wild Fuster.

AA, still have not looked up what that barrel is, but I did see a ton of mods the other day for Glocks that make them look like a rifle with a stock and grip up front.
Not my cup of tea since I have the AR already.
But is that barrel makes it much better, I may look into it.
I would like to keep this pretty much stock, not pimped out like the AR is now

I did stop off at the range after work today and cleaned them out of the last 5 13 round mags they had.
Now I have 7, that should let me have some fun at the range without having to mess around with loading up again.

Glock mags are more $$$ than the nice Magpul Pmags with windows I bought for the AR.

Any luck and I may hit the range this weekend.
They only have 10 lanes, I checked that out too.
$12.50 as long as you want, and you buy the targets or supply your own.

I have a few samples of those targets I posted earlier in this thread that explode with color around the hole.
They gave me some of their "Dirty Bird" ones that looks like bird crap after the hole is made.
Fun 'eh

Old 01-26-2011, 04:51 PM

Hey Corey, that's a mighty nice Glock. I expect a full range report with pics!!
Old 01-27-2011, 02:15 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Fuster.
I wish I had me some of those zombie targets I posted about earlier

Have not shot a pistol in ages, so I am going to be way off.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

That's pretty crazy Fuster... remember The Hills have Eyes...

sweet looking Glock Corey...

Why the baby blue fan? It's winter time...
Old 01-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Paul.
I use to put the fan away during the Cooper months, but I quit a few years back.
Easier to leave it out all year.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fuster, your story is a teachable and very scary moment. I've thought about that scenario several times since I also hike solo in the wilderness, but have never been in a defensive position...yet. My firearms instructor advises against brandishing, saying the bad guys will only be motivated to keep coming for both you and your weapon. I like your method better.

Corey, nice kit! If you're thinking of a holster, I highly recommend Ted Blocker's products. They're leather of the highest quality, Kydex lined to protect the gun finish and some models have metal reinforced tops (911M new model like pic) so they hold form with repeated practice. They use the actual gun (theirs in stock) then wet mold the leather to it. It's one of those products of such high quality that it's a pleasure to use, probably for a lifetime. Their holsters are the finest I've tried among the usual Fobus, Galco and Uncle Mike's stuff. Not cheap, expect to pay $80+ and it takes them 6-8 weeks to make, but they're so impressive that I ordered another for my Browning HP to complement the one for my H&K 45C.

http://www.tedblockerholsters.com/

Old 02-01-2011, 11:24 AM

-I just installed one of these on my airsoft gun...
http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG411/110
Airsoft? Seriously?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:32 AM

Talking Guns

Corey, nice kit! If you're thinking of a holster, I highly recommend Ted Blocker's products. They're leather of the highest quality, Kydex lined to protect the gun finish and some models have metal reinforced tops (911M new model like pic) so they hold form with repeated practice

I carry everywhere. I pack hot-heat and the best holsters out there are unfortunately not cheap. Galco makes great holster out of pure vegan-unfriendly cow hide and Comptac does a combo of Kydex and leather.

My Galco holster and 1911

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57092665@N03/5263982443/
It says it all
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57092665@N03/5264592622/

My Comp-tac Minotaur and 1911

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57092665@N03/5264595478/
Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Nice gear, jumper. I imagine all of it comes in handy with your job.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Bob, nice gear.
Not sure yet what type of holster I will get.
It must also accommodate the Surefire X400 laser/light combo.

Jumper, nice setup.

I just ordered this morning some Dirty Bird targets from Amazon, and a nice Proshot cleaning kit.
One pack of 8", and two packs of 12".
Amazon.com: Dirty Bird Multi - Color 8" Target Sheets 20 - Pack: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Dirty Bird 12" Target Sheets 10 - Pack: Sports & Outdoors

C-MULTI

YouTube - Birchwood Casey Targets

They carry these targets and zombie targets at the local range for a fee, but I bet it is cheaper for me to bring my own.

The cleaning kit was recommend by Jim.
I have an old one from when I had the 9 mm back in the early 90s, but the Proshot one is way better with ball bearings in the handle, just like the nice one I have for cleaning the AR15.

Did not make it to the range yet, have been under the weather the past few weekends in a row.
Something nasty going around here as of late.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by BT17R
Nice gear, jumper. I imagine all of it comes in handy with your job.
I wish they let you carry these in the Army. No such luck. Not for my line of work anyway. I'm sure in some distant corner of the world where there are no rules the government allows you to carry 1911's packed with love. But not in today's Army.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jumpersatthedoor
I wish they let you carry these in the Army. No such luck. Not for my line of work anyway. I'm sure in some distant corner of the world where there are no rules the government allows you to carry 1911's packed with love. But not in today's Army.
The pistols are usually just for officers and certain other specialties not for regular grunts I thought...

Personally I wish they let you carry period... up here the only place non-law enforcement can carry is at the range and even than only on the firing line.
Though i have heard it is possible for you to get a carry permit but you have to go through a special course and have a demonstrated and acitve threat against your life. ie you have to survive a deadly attack several times.
Some consular types have permits but they are obviously a special case of their own.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:45 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

A day at the range

Jim and I hit Wade's Guns out in Bellevue yesterday so I could try out my new Glock 21SF, and so he could try out both his too and a Glock 17 (9 mm) he bought.
He also brought along his S&W 357 magnum.

The range we went to was very nice and clean, and also they have a full stocked store there to purchase items.
I ended up buying a nice speed loader for my Glock that works way better than the one that Glock gives you.

I took along 8" and 12" Dirty Bird Color Burst targets, I really like these as the black background is easier to see at a distance, and the colored holes let you see better too.

I need to work on:
Breathing
Stance
Squeezing, not pulling the trigger

Most of my shots were to low most of the time, but when I concentrated on squeezing the trigger I got on paper more.
I have not shot pistol in a very long time, so it is going to take lots of practice to work on the proper techniques.
But that is what the range is for, and I look forward to many more trips out to a few of them and shooing during the summer up at Greenwater.

I ran 152 rounds through it.
100 rounds of my Fiocchi 45 ACP 230 gr ball FMJ, and 52 rounds of Jim's Winchester Whitebox ammo of the same specs.

I will be buying 500 rounds of the same stuff he was using, as you can often get that on sale for a very good price.

The Glock did great (better than me ) not one misfire or jam.
I really like this gun.
If has much more of a kick than my old Taurus 9 mm I had back in the early 90s.

Here is a picture of a few of the targets I shot at in 8" and 12" size.
They are very easy to see, much easier than a standard paper target.

Here are some videos shot with the GoPro HD camera, and shot at full 1080P HD.

http://vimeo.com/19887909

http://vimeo.com/19888101

http://vimeo.com/19888156

http://vimeo.com/19888192

Old 02-13-2011, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Nice video (1) I'll look at the rest later... I'm green with envy...
Old 02-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Paul.
The camera picked up echos in there that I did not hear with both earplugs in and the earmuffs on.

Outside I would have just worn the muffs, but inside of there it was a good idea to wear both.
It was still kind of loud though, and some of the shots further to the left of me made me jump a few times.
I do not know what they were shooting down at the other end, but some of them sounded pretty deep and low.

I will have to see if they allow AR15s in there too, but more than likely I will end up joining that local police range that is outdoors to shoot at where I can shoot the AR and the Glock at.

Just bought 500 rounds of ammo for the Glock online earlier today.
Pretty decent price, a lot cheaper than some of the local stores want here.

Now I need to get another range bag.
My current one is for the AR15 to hold ammo, earmuffs, and extra magazines.

I need one that has padded compartments inside of it to protect a handgun.
Jim gave me a link to an outfit, and I will check the maker of my current bag too.

Here is the speed loader I bought yesterday.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=952670
Not my video, but it gives you an idea how fast you can load a magazine.
Best thing is you do not push the rounds down at all, thus no finger pain.
Just drop the round on top, the loader does the hard work.

I posted earlier in this thread the same brand of loader for my AR15 magazine, works great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06H81z71-4s
Old 02-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Nice shooting, Corey! Tape the best used target to your FJ rear window facing out. It'll work better than any decal, heh.

My Glock 29SF (10mm) has a fair amount of muzzle flip even with lighter loads. So I got Pearce grip extenders that help keep sights on target between shots. Your local gun shop might have them. If not, they'll prolly install them for free, they can be tricky. Some models will also increase magazine capacity.

http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/GLOCK/PG-29

Quick Reply: Ho ho ho, Santa came early (AR15 upgrades) Glock21SF/Glock 36 too