Sportsman Section Hunting, guns/rifles, knives, archery, and fishing topics go here

Ho ho ho, Santa came early (AR15 upgrades) Glock21SF/Glock 36 too

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fustercluck
Yup. Your thunder stick should eat Federal ammo all day. Depending on the twist rate stamped on your barrel 55 grain ammo might not be the optimal match. The 1/7 twist rate barrels stabilize 62 grain and up the best. 1/9 twist rates are best mated to 55 grain and lower. 1/8 twist rates are reputed to sort of bridge the middle ground stabilizing some of the lighter grain projectiles while still handling up to 77 grain well.

Regardless, unless you are match grade competitive, you may not notice the difference. Sometimes a rifle chambered for 223 that is fed 5.56x45 NATO will have quicker parts wear and chamber pressures might be a bit high for the design, but I have friends with 223 1/9 twist ARs that have fed my more potent handloads down the pipe for over a thousand rounds with no discernable excess wear. IDK, maybe it's all hoakum, but I just do what the manual tells me

I do wish we could go shooting sometime. I'd like to try yours while you shoot mine...
be careful with anything over 75 gr. some of the 77gr bullets(especially hand loads) can be to long to properly feed in a semi auto(ar, etc.) not saying that 77gr wont but know that some configurations could cause you some problems. i understand that if it fits the mag it should be ok but i stress the word "should". have fun!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
corey...not to burst your bubble but you are loading the magazines with cartridges... the bullets are the things that come out of the business end of your rifle...
just sayin...
Thank you, I will call them zombie plugs from now on
Yup. Your thunder stick should eat Federal ammo all day. Depending on the twist rate stamped on your barrel 55 grain ammo might not be the optimal match.

I do wish we could go shooting sometime. I'd like to try yours while you shoot mine...
I use to know the twist rate, I will have to check it next time I take it out of the case.

Yes, I have seen some of your artillery, it would be fun to go shooting with you.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I have been looking at targets online to buy, and last week I saw some that leave a glowing green mess around the hole, that should be fun.

This morning I zombie targets, and a whole bunch popped up.
These should be fun.
http://www.zombietargets.net/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqCvwJ8Qujc
Old 12-20-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sgt'sYota
be careful with anything over 75 gr. some of the 77gr bullets(especially hand loads) can be to long to properly feed in a semi auto(ar, etc.) not saying that 77gr wont but know that some configurations could cause you some problems. i understand that if it fits the mag it should be ok but i stress the word "should". have fun!!!
77g projectiles are a tight fit. If I don't seat them in just the right depth without going too far onto the ogive, they won't work. Too long and they won't cycle in a semi auto, too short and they slip into the case. I don't use the 77 grain projectiles anymore because for my app they are unreliable. If I need to go heavier than that, I go to a 6.8 spc upper. Then I can shoot 115 grain projectiles @ 2500+ fps at the muzzle. 115 grains is like a medium weight 9mm lugar round but travelling over 1000 fps faster. 6.8 is more expensive to load and shoot especially if you have to buy brass first; so I mostly load 75 gr.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
when it comes to targets only one word comes to mind, tannerite
Old 12-22-2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
Greenwater also.
We use to shoot at the gravel pit a few miles up FS 70, but they have a sign up no shooting last time I was up by there.

We now go to a huge area up on FS 72.
To much snow there now though.

ahh. we always hit
FS 73. right by the river.
havent been for a while but might try this winter be fore my friend leaves for boot camp.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by avenged142
ahh. we always hit
FS 73. right by the river.
havent been for a while but might try this winter be fore my friend leaves for boot camp.
Most of my camping is up on 73, more creeks for water there than 70.

Stay tuned, the gun is at the gunsmith getting its last pimp on before Christmas

Sometime next year I will look into an optic.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
Most of my camping is up on 73, more creeks for water there than 70.

Stay tuned, the gun is at the gunsmith getting its last pimp on before Christmas

Sometime next year I will look into an optic.
An optic like this?

Old 12-23-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the zombie targets, hilarious! hahaha

as for the bullets in these things, 77gn is about the max that will fit in the magazine (unless you get your hands on some 90gn tungstun core bullets, good luck...) but 62-72gn is what you should shoot for. 55's are fine but the 72 is great for the average twist. a lot are 1 in 9 now, 1 in 7 is a tiny bit fast but OK. for the 72gn match round, someone actually figured out that a 1 in 7.76" twist was the perfect/most accurate twist rate and some were even produced although most national match guys shooting AR's are running a 1 in 8" twist (my personal preference also).

a cheap idea for targets is using your standard cardboard backings and then hang 'skins' on there and use spraypaint over a stencil of your choice. I make' em out of cardboard also, various circles and 'bowling pin' designs. for the 'skins' I often use 8.5 x 11" paper as it's dirt cheap (or free depending on where you work) and roughly the size of a good kill zone. anything outside the paper will get lost in the hundreds of accumulated rounds and counted as a miss. I love the shoot'n'see targets but they are so expensive for any volume of shooting.

A cool trick I do sometimes for fun is to cut a hole in the center of a sillouhette target and hang it up using a balloon tied to a piece of string; hang it from a branch or whatever is around. cut a small hole in the 'head' of the target to run the string thru so it hangs upright. Blast away and when you get a center hit, the target drops instantly...

enough rambling, time order some small parts to finish my lower receiver.... can't wait...

ho ho ho!
Old 12-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Now Todd, that is a big scope.

I may have to order a few of those NC targets just to see how they are.

I will have to get my rifle tomorrow, they are having a party at the shop right now for the employee's, and I will not be able to make it back until tomorrow morning.

I will get some pics up sometime tomorrow.
The trigger I wanted would not fit, as Colts have big pins that hold the trigger in, and the one I wanted used small ones.

I may or may not go for a different one when I show up to pick it up.
Might stay stock on the trigger for awhile.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:53 PM

nice triggers are a necessity for target/match shooting but as much as I appreciate a good trigger, it is certainly not needed at all in these for 'combat' shooting or plinking. Save your money for an optic, that will get you much further...
Old 12-24-2010, 09:54 AM

i couldnt imagine shooting w/o my 2 stage comp trigger. not to light and extremely clean. i also shoot competitions with an m1a that has a comp trigger and open sights. we shoot out to 600 meters. so there is another take on trigger or scope first. not saying im right or wrong just another perspective.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:21 AM

I shot hi power service rifle for a long time and even did some 1000m matches with stock M14/M1A sights and original trigger. good to see others shooting service rifle!! I miss it, haven't shot mine in a match in years now... Like I said though, I do love a good trigger but optics will enhance your ability far greater than any trigger will.

I have a marlin .17 HMR and they have terrible triggers in them (brownells sells good ones for $75) but that thing does shoot amazing....
Old 12-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Part IV

Santa said more upgrades, and just in time for Christmas.
All these upgrades have not cost me a thing, it has come via the company bonus, I love this time of year.
I dropped the rifle off Wednesday, and picked it up today when they opened.

To mount a good optic later with magnification I did not like the carry handle, as that would make one sit to high, and as mentioned earlier, the store advised me I could go with a new upper.
The Colts are not a dark black like some ARs out there, it is more grayish, so this matches the new quad rail I got a few weeks back better than it does the rest of the rifle, but it still looks very nice.

Rainier Arms Forged A4 Upper Assembly - GEN1

Since I lost the rear sight as that is part of the carry handle, I went with the a polymer Magpul one.
They are coming out early next year some time with a gen two of this model, but I needed one now, so I went with the gen one model.
Depending on if the gen two is that much better, I may swap this one out for the other.
Most of my shooting though for target practice is going to be through an magnification optic, so this gen one model may be good enough.

Magpul MBUS - Rear Gen One

Since the gun needed to be torn down (gunsmithing charges apply) I asked about triggers, and I really liked one that felt much better than the stock one.

Mega Tactical Trigger

I had already paid for it, but I got a call from the shop letting me know if would not fit my Colt after it was torn down.
I had looked at a few other triggers there too that were a two stage one.
You could pull it back a short ways, until it stopped, then pull it all the way to fire.
Since this is all new to me I am not sure what is the best to use mainly for plinking/target practice.

So the plan was to take a look at either sticking with the stock trigger for now, or try another option which would be a two stage one.
I ended up staying with the stock trigger for now, but they let me try out one of the ARs on the wall (remember, this shop has ARs all over the wall, very cool) that had one of these two stage Timney triggers on it.

Timney Single Stage Match Trigger

The ones they have in stock use the small pins, so they would have to custom order one with the bigger Colt type of pins for me.
Also I dig the looks of the skeletonized triggers more, and that tacks on quite a bit more $$$.
The trigger will come later, my next mod is going to be an optic.

I looked at a few.
IOR Valdada 1.1-4X26 CRT Illuminated Tactical Scope
Very nice, but takes up a lot of room.
It is adjustable from 1.1x to 4x.

ACOG TA31DOC
This one was cool, it has a separate "red dot" type option on top, but overkill for me since I have the laser up front.

ACOG TA31H-G
This is the one I am going to get, and the price will be less too.
This one has a green horseshoe shape instead of the chevron like some of the other have, I like it better.
I also like the green better than the red..
He showed me when I was looking through it how it gets much brighter when he shined a flashlight near the top to simulate a bright day, the green horseshoe inside got very bright, making it easier to see.
This is a 4x optic, which they said would be fine if I am standing/sitting in one spot and aiming out at targets at different yardages.

The very first optic above in this post being adjustable would be better if I was moving all around, but since most of my shooting will be targets and plinking the 4x is a good choice.

I really liked the look of it on top of the new upper too.
I will pick this up early in 2011, and that will leave me with just adding a new trigger at a later date too.

The new Magpul foldable rear sight is very nice too, I like it.

I am very pleased at how this is all coming along, and here are some pictures from today.

View showing the new upper with built in rail and the Magpul site in the down position.

View with the sight up.

Top view showing how the rail hand guard blends in with the new upper.

Side view of the new upper branded with their name on it.

Side view of the whole rifle as it sits now with all of the new mods.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:51 PM

lookin' good man! you won't regret that ACOG, they are fantastic and even though they are not a 'reflex' sight, they still work fine up close with a little practice. and distance shots, it will pay for itself, 4x gives you more than one might think. The Timney is a great trigger too but as I mentioned earlier, you will have way more fun with an optic first.

DPMS lower parts kit is now in stock at brownells for $59, I'm going to add a Hogue A2 grip and mine will be completed finally. I've shot the upper quite a bit already overseas on a military lower (and full auto bolt carrier, hee hee) but I really want to finish my lower so I have a complete AR again....

now go blow up some targets with that thing!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 05:57 PM

ooh, one thing I noticed on your AR is the foreword vertical grip; pet peeve of mine but the further forward you get that thing on the rail, the more control you have over it. Having the grip that close in will hurt your speed/control on quick shots. you don't have much room with the surefire but worth moving as much as possible. notice it will also stay out of the way during reloads, she's awful close to the magazine. Just a recommendation/ my $.02 ...
Old 12-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks, I will mess around tomorrow with maybe moving the Surefire to the left side so I can move the Grip Pod more towards the front.

My two sons just left, and the oldest who did three tours in Iraq thought it looked very nice.
He also said to go with the Acog.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:20 PM

Go ahead Corey, make me have to go out and buy an ACOG....
Old 12-26-2010, 06:03 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Go ahead Corey, make me have to go out and buy an ACOG....
He he he...

I was reading up more on them, and they seemed to be the preferred optic over in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Spendy, but you get what you pay for.

The green horseshoe is also easier on the eyes than having a red chevron to view.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Lookin' good Corey!

Take a look at these ACOG's. We run these in airsoft. They do a great job for the price.
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/ea-4x32-a...-sight-bk.html

Quick Reply: Ho ho ho, Santa came early (AR15 upgrades) Glock21SF/Glock 36 too