Vendors Build-Ups (Build-Up Section) Vendors can showcase customer builds here

Frontier 4x4's 94 Tough Truck Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put the vin tag back on.

Started on the bed since I still don't know how I want to do the seat mounts yet. It drops down to the frame through the floor.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:29 AM

Lots of updates. I raced Friday and Sunday so it was crunch time getting everything finished up and ready.

The Amsoil MP wasn't cutting it so I had to paint. It was turning orange where it got touched by sweat. It's really humid here so I'm sure that isn't helping.

I hate paint prep. It's an inside out present, lol.

Seat mounts, finally! They are 1.5"x.120 that are welded to the trans tunnel. The back has a mini truss with and extension for my ammo can center console to mount to. A mini truss for the front seat tubes would be in the way for the twin sticks that are getting put in. I might tie them in after the shifters are in and I know what kind of clearance I need. The harness is mounted by wrapping it around the tubes and back to the adjuster instead of running tabs and bolts.

I forgot to take a picture before so this is an after the race pic, that's why it's so dirty. The other seat isn't bolted in yet. It was last minute to get the driver seat in. The harness got put on in the pits.

Tabs are from Speedway Motors.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:30 AM

Before the new windshield went back in I tied the cage to the A pillars with some dimple died plates. This will keep the pillars where they are supposed to be and make it easier to replace glass later after it's rolled.

Rear glass is in.

Last minute computer mount. Carpet pad and duct tape, lol. It's going in the glovebox.

Ready for the Friday night race. I got an 81 that had a nice set of 31" Pro Comp Mud Terrains so I swapped them on.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:31 AM

Friday night race was a little different. More of a timed obstacle course. I had major issues with running through the water on the 2nd lap and fogging over the inside of my windshield to the point of not being able to see anything. I should of put the shifter boot back on but didn't expect fog problems.

First run I just pointed and hoped for the best. I ran hard and fast and set the pace getting through the track. I don't have video of that run, my best one, but I have the 2nd and 3rd. I had to stop and wipe the glass off in the 2nd race it was so bad.

‪TT Toyota 011‬‏ - YouTube

3rd run, this is why you don't let you wife video. They might get shocked and accidentally stop recording.

‪TT Toyota 015.AVI‬‏ - YouTube
Old 08-03-2011, 11:32 AM

I endoed and the truck twisted and came down hard on the driver side.

The rear corner hit hard and twisted up the bumper and back of the frame.

The races were timed but no places where ever announced. It was more a local club show. Most of the other rigs there were regular trail rigs with built suspension and lockers.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:33 AM

Sunday's race was a mix of a timed barrel race, a start and stop drag race, a big teeter totter, and a short course tracking that consisted of the motorcross track.

The main race was in heats and then the a LCQ and the Final race. Each heat was 4 rigs and 3 laps. The track was rough! All the jumps were set up for dirt bikes so they were huge and the whoops really brought the suck until I figured out the right speed to hit them out. The table tops had dip in the middle that I couldn't quite get enough speed to clear it. In my first heat I got out front right away and stayed there. Alison said no one was really hitting the jumps hard until I got out there.

‪TT Toyota 011.AVI‬‏ - YouTube

The finals came and so did darkness. I had to make it through 5 laps. Only the front half of the track was lit with most of it by spotlights aimed right at us from the grand stands. :shaking: They didn't run the LCQ and instead just threw them in with the rest of us so there ended up being around 10 trucks. About halfway through the first lap they called for a restart after having to stop the race from a broke rig. We restarted and I was pacing myself so I could make the 5 laps. Well I took the final turn wide to keep my speed and hammered it into 3rd to take off for the table top by the flag stand. Turns out the huge barrier tire that was covered in darkness stuck out into the track enough that I clipped 6" of it causing me to spin sideways off of the edge of the tabletop and onto the roof. I just about took out the flag stand and the porta johns next to it. You can see my tail lights in the last vid.

‪TT Toyota 013‬‏ - YouTube

They pulled my truck over and hauled it off by the forks instead of letting me get back in the race. :shaking: I blew a tire earlier before the roll but I would have kept running it. I got it started back up and onto the trailer and while they restarted the race about 6 more times I about left. Good thing I stayed because somehow I ended up with 3rd overall because I placed good on the other events. Even though I didn't finish the final race. Not sure how that worked out but it payed for my blown tire.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:34 AM

Aftermath. The cage held up great and kept the cab where it was supposed to be. Both doors still shut and my windshield wasn't completely wasted. The front frame crossmember and body mounts where the front bumper mounted twisted back. The entire front end got twisted down and back and now the bottom of the front fenders hang over the doors a couple inches.

You can see where the paint rubbed off where the big tire hit it.

Blown tire. I must have torn up the sidewall after racing on it. There was a lot of parts laying on the track that probably sliced it.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:34 AM

Cracked open the radiator. This is why I usually run stingers. I just didn't get to it on this one yet.

Bumpstops are wasted! And so is the front skid plate. That's all from dirt.

Cab isn't to bad, though. This is the worst of it.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Sure it wasn't a demolition derby?

:wabbit2:
Old 08-03-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Sure it wasn't a demolition derby?

:wabbit2:
Might as well have been! That race was rough!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Dang Luke...looks like fun..How do your kidneys feel after that?
Old 08-03-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow dont see that type of racing over where im at. looks like fun. need a onboard camera for the next race for sure
Old 08-09-2011, 04:41 AM

I forgot to post this earlier. I welded some 1" with gussets between the rear control arm mounts to add some strenght.

Here is a comparison between the Corbeau Baja SS and the low backs with headrest in a regular cab Toyota. The regular SS will still bolt up to my mounts but wouldn't do anything to keep your head off the back window or cage.

If I wasn't running a interior cage I could have slid the low back a couple more inches but the baja couldn't be moved back any further. I'm 6' and it's a tight fit but I also needed them to be forward a few inches for racing since I'm strapped in so tight and can't lean forward.

Also got some harness pads on. The rough races last weeked caused some major strap burn on my neck.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:12 PM

Do I see how long it will last or do I fix it?

TT Toyota knock.AVI - YouTube
Old 10-18-2011, 09:05 AM

any updates?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by 1986yota4x4
any updates?
Nope, it's sitting around until I get time to work on it again. All my free time has been going into getting the new shop done.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:31 PM

Now that's what I'm talking about. My '86 had a similar life. After a couple thousend miles through the desert it was toast.. I dig the cage work.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:07 PM

And the build starts right now. I need a break from accounting. The goal is to be done and on the road April 22nd. We'll see how that goes. I still have lots of other work to get done along with this one.

Pulled in and surrounded by a small portion of the parts going on this. Everything is here except for whatever I'm forgetting and any last minute small parts.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:44 PM

Out with the old. There's more than one way to get rid of the IFS crap

Old 04-09-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
guessing your gonna tube the front end?

Quick Reply: Frontier 4x4's 94 Tough Truck Toyota