Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

paynemw's 2000 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, nice 4Runner.

subbed
Old 10-09-2013, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: For people looking to do a gas tank swap. After doing the chop and section on the sending unit and pump, I noticed I was having issues with the pressurized rubber hose crimping between the pump and the top of the assembly where the hardline comes through. I cut the hardline down a bit, heated it up and bent it to get it closer to a straight shot to the outlet on the pump. I am still having issues with the fuel sending unit (toyota) to read correctly, but that'll just be bending the arm to measure correctly. That will just come with time. So far everything with modding the ford gas tank to work with the toyota parts has come together, but with some hair pulling. The straps need to be adjusted because the top of the tank smashes against the floor. regardless, the truck runs. I do have some valve knock from the engine, but she runs. I brought the truck up to Independent4x in Ashland, VA to have some stuff done. He built me a steering column and it is awesome. Collapsible/compressible and easy to remove if need be, stainless steal with Morrison components (i believe). The brakes finally work, they've been bled, but i still have a ton of pedal travel, most likely because I increased the length of the line and because I went to disc brakes in the rear. I'll have to look at putting in a larger bore master cylinder down the road, but right now it will require me to do some adjusting of the coilover hoop. I drove the truck around the neighborhood and I have SIGNIFICANT death wobble, and that's due to using johnny joints instead of tie rod ends (me just being quick to get the truck home from washington state). After I knock a significant amount of items off the list, I'll bring the truck back up to Independent4x to address things like steering, gas tank skid, other nicknacks. I hate to do this, but I have noticed that a bunch of the mechanical work Perkins Performance promised has fallen short. I absolutely love his fab work, but I don't trust any of his mechanical work, and have found myself double and triple checking the work done. For example, I paid for my rear axle to have the e-locker and full floating axle retro-fitted and the e-locker was installed (no notch) but the e-locker was stuck in the on position and wasn't allowed to go to the unlocked position, the plugs for the abs/speedo weren't installed, the full-floating kit wasn't done correctly and the backlash was off. I had to pay Independent4x to rebuild the axle correctly. Again, Perkins Performance does awesome fab work (love the front bumper and fab work on the suspension, but mechanical work is lacking. I will not recommend mechanical work until otherwise proven. I'll try to post more pictures soon.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:50 AM

Truck is for sale. $25K OBO. Will ship to continental US but with negotiation. Comes with additional 3.4, extra parts as seen.
To Do List on 2000 Toyota 4Runner

1. PRI – Front sway bar –decide what to use
2. PRI – Secure battery wire harness away from front main pulley – permanent
3. PRI – rebuild steering & install damper & power steering lines
4. PRI – new washer fluid reservoir – possible inside front bumper
5. PRI – brake lines (retention system on front soft lines) & hard mount (rear)
6. PRI – replace and mount passenger side air bag sensor on wheel well - turn off air bag sensor light?!
7. PRI – mount hard fuel lines – permanent
8. PRI - Add Tacoma VSC Speedo sensor for speedo (transfer case?!)
9. PRI – complete T-CASE parking break
10. PRI – Fuel Level sensor set correctly
11. PRI – bypass ABS harness & ABS light
12. PRI – finish gas tank access panel & fab longer tank straps, finish door & filler tube
13. PRI – license plate holder & plate light
14. WHEEL – fabricate radiator skid plate
15. WHEEL – johny joints on links faced upwards
16. WHEEL – driver-side engine mount requires significant repair & strengthening
17. WHEEL – fabricate metal or rubber covers to enclose engine bay
18. WHEEL – trim front & rear wheel wells (repair rear wheel wells – add tubed fenders to both)
19. WHEEL – add extended diff breathers front & rear
20. WHEEL – install aux fuse box to run accessories (winch, sub, lights, etc) – make all accessories switchable inside cab
21. WHEEL – fab & install gas tank skid
22. WHEEL – fab & install retaining plate for bottom of rear coils
23. WHEEL – fab & install bump stops all 4 corners
24. WHEEL – fab ChilKat E-Locker Actuator & run cable and install lever
25. WHEEL – install LED rock lights & reverse lights
26. WHEEL – Limiting straps
27. WHEEL – Replace body mounts
28. NON – add winch control connection in cab & add fast idle to throttle control to manage ampere output
29. NON – Satoshi Grill Mod (buy honey comb & complete work) – possibly fog lights behind grill
30. NON – repair & replace hood latch & cable
31. NON – repair & replace front turn signals (water proof mod to signals and headlights)
32. NON – install trim under headlights
33. NON – add perpendicular bolts to front bumper frame mount
34. NON – A/C move compressor forward to light up pulleys – check system to ensure proper charge
35. NON – fab and install heat shields for passenger side floor & rear A/C lines & re-route A/C lines to outside of frame rails
36. NON – paint frame with POR-15
37. NON – paint calipers, rotors, pitman arm, gear box, knuckles, rear axle parts
38. NON – replace both side view mirrors
39. NON – install vacuum lines for shifting and sensors
40. NON – fabricate center console
41. NON – fix trailer hitch wire harness
42. NON – replace steering wheel
43. NON – fix cruise control
44. NON – replace tweeters & door speakers
45. NON – repair radio antenna connection & purchase short whip antenna
46. NON – purchase clip for center rear seat belt
47. NON – LED replacement for interior lights
48. NON – Fab rear mud flaps
49. NON – repair rear bumper to get twist on tire holder
50. NON – rear passenger window motor replaced
PPPM for questions
Old 04-28-2014, 05:54 PM

Darn, I need to move to the Pacific NW. You guys get to have all the fun.lol. Nice build.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:56 PM

Darn, I need to move to the Pacific NW, you guys have all the fun. Lol. Nice Build
Old 04-28-2014, 05:58 PM

Truck for sale: asking $18,500

For Sale:
Asking $18,500
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f108...-000-a-280034/
Old 04-28-2014, 05:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We do, it's awesome up here.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:19 PM

I got my own project going on. 3rd gen (2000) T4R, OME progressive coils in the rear, I went with KYB monomax @ all corners, 2.5" lift, couple other odds and ends. New to yotatech. Getting alot of info from you guys on here. THX for the builds. Good info.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:03 AM

SOLD! Goodbye Kyla