Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

paynemw's 2000 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paynemw's 2000 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Matty P's T4R Build "Kyla"
2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4x4, 3.4L with 5 speed manual trans

Suspension:
Old Man Emu Heavy Coils
Old Man Emu Stiff Shocks
Camburg Upper Control Arms
Daystar 1 1/2 inch Polyurethane Coil Spacer
Performance Sway-Bar Bushings but disconnected Front Anti-Sway Bar... yea I know
Removed Rear Anti-Sway Bar

Engine/Transmission:
Intake Silencer Removal Mod
4" Deckplate Mod
"O" Ring Throttle Body Gasket
K&N High Flow Air Filter
Yellow Top Altima Battery
URD Sensor Simulator
URD Short Throw Shifter Kit
Magnaflow High Flow Cat & Muffler
ARB Safari Snorkel and Tacoma Tube

Brakes/Wheels/Tires:
Wheeler's Offroad 1/4inch wheel spacers
FJ TRD Anthracite Wheels (not currently used)
Black Rock Series 929 16x7's
34" Firestone Destination M/T's
2002 Tundra Brakes (231mm)
Custom Braided brake lines front & rear

Armor/Recovery:
Hi Lift Extreme
Kennessaw Mountain Accessories Multicarrier (upgraded and modified by Perkins Performance)
Perkins Performance front bumper (modified) - still waiting to be completed
SmittyBuilt XRC8 with Synthetic Line & Aluminum Fairlead
Home brewed Sliders based off of Scotty C's design of Addicted Offroad Build Intervention
Full BudBuilt Skids Powder-coated Red
Inchworm E-locker Skid

Others:
CS-144 Alternator Swap
Turn Signal relocated to running lights
Factory E-locker waiting to be put on
Polyurethane Steering Rack Bushing Kit waiting to be put in
Trimmed and tac-welded Rear Fenders
Trimmed front fenders
Removed Carpet

Current Pic:

Now for the story...

My first truck was a 1990 Chevy K1500... what a POS, but it was alot of fun to drive and I beat it to crap, replaced the engine and drove it for a while, burnt the clutch and figured it was time for a trans replacement... in the middle of a field on my farm, drove it to Minnesota and back with 200k+ that was interesting... so I decided it was time for an upgrade and had a couple of friends with some modded yota 2nd and 4th gens, did some research and picked out my ideal buy a 3rd gen 4runner, it had to be 4x4 and had to be manual trans. WOW was that a hard find, well after about 4 months of searching I found what I was looking for. a 2000 4runner SR5 4x4 5spd with around 108k for $10,000 in real nice condition. I was in OK and bought it from a stealership in VA flew back and picked up this...

I got it and immediately fell in love with 4Runners. I did some instant modifications to make it a little more... ME.
After driving it back to OK I got up with a local Exhaust shop to see what I could get rid of. After researching I didn't find any exhaust kit that satisfied my needs so I had the shop drop the 2 cats and throw in a Magnaflow low restriction Cat in... then used the bracket for the below threshold O2 sensor to the mid range Magnaflow muffler... maintaining the same diameter piping the whole way through mirroring the look of the bends of the old exhaust with no chrome.

Well because the low restriction Cat threw a code on because the emissions were out of the range of what the below threshold O2 sensor was used to reading I ordered up a URD O2 Sensor simulator... decently easy install behind the glove box.

Next was breathability up front. I read about the Intake Silencer Delete Mod and made some changes... using the exhaust shop I had them cut a piece of pipe the same length of the silencer and open it up to match the OD of the Silencer. Then had them weld in a double male ended metal plumbing connection that I cut in half to use for that vacuum line that went from the silencer into the intake manifold. After getting it home I removed my new piece, cleaned it up and painted it with some Rustoleum Hammered black paint.

Finally for better breathing I attacked the Airbox. THe deckplate mod is great. I searched around the area and could only find a white deckplate from a local marine store... used the dremel tool and cut up the airbox. It took me about 30 minutes to do everything right and make it look good. Here's a link to a guy who did a good write up on the https://www.yotatech.com/picture.php...pictureid=3558... and pictures

I picked up a high-flow air filter and I was good on maximixing the breathability of my 3.4

Now for a couple of appearance mods I did:
I couldn't stand the look of the stepside look, but my mom kept on me about it because woman like them to make it easier to get into the truck... i toyed with the idea of keeping them on until i dented them up pretty bad on my first wheelin' trip with the truck... so I had to ditch them... looks way better, but I'm quite disappointed in the way they made the flares in conjunction with the stepsides on the SR5 as apposed to the limited runners.
I also ordered a set of Weathertech weather strips for the winders and those sweet DigitalFit floor mats and cargo mat... http://www.weathertech.com/store/Pac...=637&Year=2000 I love them.

After owning the truck for a while, someone dented my hood, so I looked around town for a junked hood, and couldn't find any 4runners in any junk yard... so I started my search on the internet and decided to pick up a limited hood with hood scoop from
http://www.carpartswholesale.com for around $160, but I got a military discount on the product.

I got it and found they don't include the mesh for the hood scoop opening so I ordered those from http://trdparts4u.com/ and ordered a 96-98 grille to do the Satoshi Grille Mod http://4runners.org/writeups/satoshi/index.html The parts haven't arrived yet so i'll hopefully have everything done and painted in a couple of weeks if they don't overwhelm us at work.

Now for the performance... I have been quite impressed on the capabilities of the 4runner. It has exceptional handling for a SUV. AND, its decently fast. I am disappointed in the governor, so I am doing some research with getting a piggy back computer, possibly from URD or bypassing it completely. I still need to upgrade my injectors because if I do any more they won't be sufficient. Also I am starting to get curious about throwing on an Aftermarket larger throttle body (any suggestions?)

As for the off-roading, I was very impressed on the 4runners abilitry to crawl and wheel with stock suspension and street tires. Right now I can't afford to mess with the suspension, tires or gears/lockers until I figure out my deployment schedule and some other stuff with work but I know there will be some changes... maybe e-locker and 2 - 3 in suspension lift from Sonoran Steel or maybe LC coils.... Gotta do more research. But I can stay i love the look of my new wheels from Black Rock, the series 929's 16x7 with 4in backspacing. I picked up 5 from Poly Performance, sort of disappointed in the time it took them to get me the wheels but I've got them now and love them.

The interior upgrades were simple, head-unit upgrade to the Alpine cdplayer with ipod interface and a small 200 watt amp for my 10in JL audio sub that i threw in the back. Eventually I might pick up that JL audio boxed sub that fits into the storage compartment, maybe. I installed the amp under the driver seat because there was no room under the back seats and theres already an amp with fan under the passenger seat. I have the USB wire run into the glovebox so no one really knows I even have an Ipod in the truck except for all of yotatech and my friends, haha. Oh yea, and now I have enough space to put a CB in the section under the new head unit

As for parts to come, I'm waiting on Kyle at KMA for my multicarrier, yea unfortunately I read about him on some threads about how bad his service is even though its a nice product, lets pray that I get it in decent time. I get my custom sliders on this saturday and will post pictures...

Now, any suggestions, constructive criticism

Last edited by paynemw; 07-11-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice looking runner and you made a wise choice!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:07 AM

Here are some pictures of my first trip out around the area, I'm disappointed in technical spots in OK thus far

Old 08-26-2009, 10:41 AM

yah, manuals are hard to find. I had to beat the bush too. GOOD looking truck.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:44 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
nice truck man ,looking real good ..
Old 08-26-2009, 10:59 AM

Idk were u guys live, but out in cali theirs alot of manual trans 4runners. I got 2. A 1990 4runner 2door sport! And a 92 4runner 4 door both are manuel trans. And a 95 4runner but its a at.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IGDIEGO
Idk were u guys live, but out in cali theirs alot of manual trans 4runners. I got 2. A 1990 4runner 2door sport! And a 92 4runner 4 door both are manuel trans. And a 95 4runner but its a at.
Harder to find 3rd gen manuals, 2nd gen is a lot easier to find them in manual.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:54 AM

Good lookin' truck.

Originally Posted by IGDIEGO
True, but 3rd gen manuals aren't as plentiful.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Now why take such a pretty 4runner into such disgusting mud???

I did the same thing to mine a long time ago Now the tops cut off and nothing about it really is a 4runner anymore. Have fun with it
Old 08-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your hood.... Is it this one?
http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...L/T130101.html

That's the only one that came up for the sport hood. It's listed way under your $160 price (or does that include shipping). Also, I see that it's not CAPA Certified. How was it built and fit? Do all the lines run true on it?
Old 08-26-2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by psraff
Your hood.... Is it this one?
http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...L/T130101.html

That's the only one that came up for the sport hood. It's listed way under your $160 price (or does that include shipping). Also, I see that it's not CAPA Certified. How was it built and fit? Do all the lines run true on it?
Yea, it fits fine, lines run true, and it has that legitimate feel to it... and i'm used to working on a 1965 mustang and 1990 chevy truck... the only thing that sucks is that you have to go to TRDparts4u.com and find a year 2001-2002 4runner limited and get all the parts that go into that hood scoop, i think its part #18. the hood is around $100 and the shipping was expensive... but i got a military discount. If your near a big town i'd look for hoods from a junk yard first... thats what i tried to do but there are no 4runners in any of the junkyards in the small military town im in... sucks here are pictures

hope that helped out
Old 09-08-2009, 08:29 PM

another update.... scoop modling came in, and noticed it was enclosed, therefore making the scoop not any kind of functional... so i did some taping, drew some lines, then cut out a hole so i can put the remainder of my aluminum mesh from the satoshi grille mod in the hole.... started the satoshi grille mod, but have been bogged down with work... so its going to take a while to get that finished...i'm stoked about getting everything painted so my truck can look halfway decent again here are pictures

Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

Very nice 4Runner. Here's one suggestion for one of your mods that caught my eye.

The stock 3.4L MAF does not like the oil K&N filters use. Unless you constantly clean your MAF you will over time develop a decrease in fuel economy and driveability problems. I would suggest getting a Trueflow air filter...I know Jason @ burtmanindustries.com sells them (they also have a complete intake kit). Trueflow filters are also way better at picking up dirt than the K&N's (there's a video about it floating around here somewhere).

Otherwise you're looking real nice . Good luck.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:51 PM

So I set up a lil' adventure with some boys from work to wheel on fort sill... well thats a $100 fine that I didn't know about, but talked my way out of it.... so we had to find some other local place... and found out about some spot about 20 minutes south, some dried up river bed... wow with standard PSI.... i was running 5K in 1st gear the whole time just to stay afloat in the sad... sucked... but there was a part of the spot that was just lowland and we hit some nice mudbogs.... needless to say i fried my alternator.... never did that before, but yeup hit a nice puddle and i guess the water spray fried the thing... so i'll be upgrading to a yellowtop optima and new alternator monday

Last edited by paynemw; 09-29-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:41 PM

aight so i ordered that KMA multicarrier for my birthday... it finally arrived...

so i got right to work once i got off work.... took the old bumper and hitch receiver off drove around for a day waiting to go to the welder's shop to put it on. I had some troubles getting the old bumper off and had to break some nuts loose that were tacked into the frame

now at the welder's shop we did some minor tweeking to the mounting brackets but we got it on there

once the bumper was on we put the swing out portion on... and just as i anticipated the upper section of the swing out was right over the key cylinder and I wanted to maintain the ability to open and close the rear window from the outside

so we moved some metal around to get...

and here's the bigger picture... still have to put the license plate in a more permanent position... i want to put it in the middle of the spare but im still boggled on how to make a harness and have the light up there... also i need to make a bumpstop so that when i open the swing out the damn thing doesn't dent my body panels

any help with relocating the license plate to inside the spare? can't wait for a lift and some kumho road venture M/T's... and a front bumper possibly something mixed between the fatmoose and shrockworks bumper... hmm

Last edited by paynemw; 11-01-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good. Bumper has nice lines. I like that the spare sits snug and low too.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
that tail pipe looks awful the rest of the truck looks nice
Old 11-01-2009, 04:40 PM

Just wondering...

Paynemw,

I am concerned about your placement on the bumper being too 'tight'. When your frame flexes, based upon the pics posted, it is going to grind a bit.

When Jed (Armorology) fabbed mine up, he designed it to account for flex...

Name:  IMG_2443.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  33.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2856.jpg
Views: 2172
Size:  56.2 KB

I don't mean to rain on your parade or call you out...I'm just asking that's all...

Regards,

BWJ
Old 11-01-2009, 04:50 PM

i did think about it... it does seem quite close to the body in those pictures.... and i must admit its close in terms of the top of the bumper and bottom of the body line... but we did cut away at the bumper to allow plenty of room horizontally... and hey don't worry about it, i always welcome constructive criticism... i want to improve my rig as much as possible.. thanks dude
Old 11-23-2009, 10:51 AM

i thought about it more and let everything settle... the way that kma constructed their bumper mounts doesn't satisfy me and i've noticed that the weight of the tire and bumper has made it sag and so i plan on putting a 1in body lift on when i get back to the truck so that I have room for flex like BWJ was talkin about... and do better bumper mounts with a cross-brace to handle all of the extra weight and some tongue weight too, when i do the 1inch body lift should i go ahead and extend the brake lines because i will do an OME lift the same day? I'm def planning on a diff drop, any suggestions with this combo of lift?

Last edited by paynemw; 12-17-2009 at 09:18 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: paynemw's 2000 4Runner Build-Up Thread