Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So far, so good locally around our town. I've got several friends kids out on hand crews and others running heavy equipment. Brave souls they are.

We may get some much needed rain over the weekend that may quiet down a few fires. A little rain won't put them out, but it does give the crews a breather and a chance to make some gains. Air quality is poor again.

I'm ready for the fresh air of winter and some of that white stuff!

How's the garden producing this year?
Old 09-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
rw- totally missed your post. MO fire crews came back from Washington this past week.

Garden is okay. Was slow to get going. We didn't grow much but peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, green beans, okra, cucumbers and corn that ripened and we missed when we were on vacation.

It's been a weird weather year.

I'll take cooler crisper air but you can still keep the cold and I'll mail all our snow for your skiing!
Old 09-14-2015, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 277,520 miles

Went for a one night car-camp this weekend. Not loaded to the gills, just bike junk, food for a couple days, tent, sleeping bags, clothes, tools, crate, dog, people and stuff. The bikes and rack hanging off the back weigh around 130 pounds. 3 camp chairs and a few gallons of water up in the rack.

Aired up the air bags- have been keeping them at 8, moved them to 25psi. The suspension dropped about a 1/2" with all the stuff, normally it drops a couple inches or more. Next time I'll try to do before/after loading/inflating.

I liked the way it drove with the front end not feeling so light. Then again, not enough in the back to really judge.
Looked good not all saggy butted at least.

The mountain biking was amazing, the hike excellent, the weather awesome.

Unfortunately we found out the lone truck sitting a couple of campsites down belongs to a missing man who'd left a suicide note both at home and in the truck. Really hoping they find him for his family and even moreso hoping he's alive and well.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks like you had a great time. Hope they find the guy and all is well for him. I was watching a Weather Channel storm chaser and the guy drove a runner same color as yours. Got me thinking of yours. He had an antenna on the rear of the roof and it got struck by lightining and just blistered the paint at the top of the rear window glass and blew out his rear tires. His runner was okay after wards. I just did not think cars would pass electric due to tires. First time I had ever seen anything like that.

rw..Hope they get those fires under control in your area and you are staying safe.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

YIKES LIGHTNING!! Hopefully it feels it's covered all the bases on blue 4Runners!
Have you seen the video of Mississpi Trooper Rodriquez's car being struck by lightning? I haven't heard of tires blowing out before, crazy!
Old 09-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 278,346 miles

Moab is still on the truck. If it looks like rust it's really not, it's desert!

Quadratec d-ring spacer bushings + coats of paint =

Weirdly if I google shopped them they came up free shipping, if I just google webbed Quadratec d-ring bushing shipping was $4.99
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92144_1900.htm?sgsc=C6Z06ZR1C6Z06ZR1&utm_medium=co mpshop&utm_source=googlemerchant&gclid=CjwKEAjwp56 wBRDThOSZ3vqGzmESJABjNaj98l9r6cd1Y7Y4x-HLNijYfpfo0rSY08K91rlItyTX6RoCRnrw_wcB
I also got a pair of Daystar d-ring isolators.

Next, last week I noticed a little seepage from the right side lower ball joint. It rapidly progressed to covering nearly the whole boot. The ball joint's got 50,000 miles on it and is an OEM part from the dealership down the street.

No noticeable difference in steering, no clunks, just seepage. Good enough for me, I didn't even check the stupid thing. Why? Because that's one part that I don't want to mess with. Out of the truck the joint is pretty loose feeling but not sloppy. I really should have tested it on the truck first, but it was coming off no matter what. Call me paranoid. Bok bok bok (chicken).

Who knows how much longer the old one would have gone?

Some time ago I replaced one of my meep meeps with 4 horns out of an old GM. Chasing a noise today I found this:

I'm going to blame it on the horn. Much heavier than the Toyota horn. The other side, where one of the other GM horns is mounted, shows no sign of fatigue.
For now I've decided to brace it with a scrap of aluminum and watch it. Spread the stress a little...

The condenser also got cleaned up a little and the True-Flow filter also got a cleaning and re-oil.

Dunno if I ever posted how I mounted the junk part of my junkdrawerashi grille mod...

And lastly, this weekend the OBA was useful in airing up one low tire on the 99, the tandem bike tires before a ride, 3 air mattresses for camping, airing the tubes for 2 new tires on the hubby's old trek bike, airing up all the tires on the 240 Volvo that's been sitting for a bit and seating the bead on the hubby's Ellsworth Truth's tubeless tire. The dual battery assured being able to start the 96 up and drive away at will. Love the usefulness these two mods have for us.

Hope y'all had an amazing weekend and that the sky's not cloudy for tonight's Supermoon Eclipse for those that want to see it. It's not looking promising here, been cloudy all day.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

99 4Runner

Hubby is going to put an extended rear dif breather on the 99.

Toyota Part # 90404-51319 - Union Fitting
Toyota Part # 90930-03136 - Breather Plug
couple o' small hose clamps
3/8 id hose, maybe 5 or 6'
zipties to zip the hose to the gas tank filler

I don't know where he'll put the breather. I originally put the one in the 96 behind the fuel filler gasket but it got cruddy and clogged even tucked up in there so I moved it to the other side of the gasket, next to the fuel cap. Has stayed clean and clog-free ever since.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

Hi Hab! Where did the breather end up going? I ran mine up behind the tail light assembly.

Slowly the freezer is now filling with salmon. I'm thinking of buying a vacuum sealer to help ward off the freezer burn.

Hope all is good there. It is here.

Last edited by rworegon; 10-18-2015 at 04:42 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

RW- It ended up on the gas cap side of the filler gasket. Back behind the taillight would have been awesome. Out of the dirt and out of the way.

My grandparents had a vacuum sealer and used it a lot. They liked it. What about those freezer bags that let you suck the air out of them? Can't remember who made them, don't know if they're any good, don't know which is a more economical choice....catchin' fishies, are you then? Glad to hear all is good your way, pretty much the same here. Just the same basic everyday wear-downs followed by recuperative fun in the woods. Repeat!

I took the truck to cars and coffee Saturday. Overheard one guy tell another 'Landcruiser'. The other says meh.

Gee, dunno why they would think Landcruiser in any way... :confused:

Also, for those keeping track, the air-bags were making a sitting-on-a-vinyl-couch squeak. Not loud, but definitely there. Had it aired up to 20 psi from last week's loaded up car camping trip (we spend a lot of time in a tent). Heard the noise Friday afternoon but didn't change the pressure because this weekend's quick camping trip. Will bring it back down to around 10 psi and see what happens to the noise. It's gotten a bit chillier this week...will also have to keep tabs on temp change vs noise too.

Hope everyone's weekend went well!

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by habanero
No noticeable difference in steering, no clunks, just seepage. Good enough for me, I didn't even check the stupid thing. Why? Because that's one part that I don't want to mess with. Out of the truck the joint is pretty loose feeling but not sloppy. I really should have tested it on the truck first, but it was coming off no matter what. Call me paranoid. Bok bok bok (chicken).

Call you wise and experienced.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rworegon
Call you wise and experienced.

I'll take it.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 279,xxx miles

It's been a little while. I wish it could have been longer but hey, sometimes you have to find out the loose hill climb/skinny pedal combo is indeed mightier than one or more things in the rear dif.

Hitched a ride with this nice guy....

Why it couldn't be something simpler like the cvs? Well, time to learn something new.
So it moved itself out of the woods and up the hill to phone reception. Popping and jerking, but it made it.

Got it towed close to home (would have been real hard for the tow truck driver to turn around in our cul de sac, especially with it partially blocked with construction). Once there it had to be driven the last block home via the front wheels because the driveshaft just spins and makes a whirring noise. Rear still popping and jerking while rolling. I don't know why it drove all the way to where I needed to go to get help via the rear and then wouldn't go after the tow. Glad it did as much as it did!

Now to open it up and take a gander and find the bits I'm sure there will be some of that need to be replaced. Any tips, helpful links, useful info sure appreciated.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:25 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Sounds like you may have sheared some teeth on the ring gear or pinion.
My old 84 had similar symptoms, a 200 mile drive home was challenging...
Old 11-08-2015, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

Sheesh Robb, and I wasn't even willing to go 70 miles! Could not imagine hitting the highways with the way that thing kept jerking and popping. The slow drive out of the woods, up the hill and later the block home were teeth (and gear, apparently)-grindingly enough!

You're a tougher man than me!

Mightymouse is gonna see what he's got- really a great guy if you need yotabits- both in what he can lay his hands on and in how genuinely good a person he is.

Kinda can't wait to see what all the mess is and kinda want to hear and see no evil. As for speaking no evil....no guarantees on that one!
Old 11-09-2015, 04:41 AM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts
W00t, for once it's not my Volvo chewing up parts!
Old 11-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Axles out, driveshaft disconnected, bolts out of the dif but it's hanging up on something. The locker was locked according to the dash light and wouldn't unlock but I still can't even get the elocker actuator off....so close. Stopped to make dinner and get the kid to do his homework. Will be back at it tomorrow after work....

and a big thank you to Mightymouse for taking care of me once again! Just got to confirm suspicions as to what's wrong...by getting that thing apart.....
Old 11-09-2015, 04:57 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
That is great MightyMouse is helping out.

It could definitely be something with the E-locker not wanting to disengage for you causing the 3rd to be a pain to get out.
Usually they just pull out with a little finesse.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dropzone
That is great MightyMouse is helping out.

It could definitely be something with the E-locker not wanting to disengage for you causing the 3rd to be a pain to get out.
Usually they just pull out with a little finesse.
You'd think the actuator would at least pull out.

I've got dinner in the crock pot so should have more time today....maybe.....chapter 7 history test review must get done too.

Will give it another try after work because gear oil + lunch lady = no bueno.

I think I've been reasonable so far. If it doesn't play well with me today I'll finesse the heck out of it!

And hopefully not break anything more than it already is!

Here's the hubby following a Rubicon heading down Transfer Case....

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Sorry to see the runner on the tow truck. If Mightymouse doesn't have any parts, there is the salvage in Joplin that I drive by everyday that has a few 3rd gens and at one time had the elocker in one that I can check on for you if you need me to. It is on my way home and they do ship parts.

Seen you and RW talking about the vacuum freezer bags. They are great for sealing food but I have not found a machine to last to long. I tried several different brands and they just don't last. Next one will be the industrial type if I can find one.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

That's very kind of you, Terry! Mightymouse says he's good on what I need. I gotta check out this mythical junkyard with any 3rd gens....3 and with axles??? Not a common sight around here.

Good to know on the vacuum machines!

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread