Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Your thoughts on the current gen Xterra?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your thoughts on the current gen Xterra?

Hi folks.

I've been thinking of what to do with my 4Runner.

The only options so far seem to either drive it into the ground, or get a current gen Xterra Offroad. FJCruiser is not an option as I only want a manual truck, and FJs do not offer a part-time 4wd system, and they guzzle premium gas. Having a manual truck get less mileage than a slushbox, and having to fork over extra $$ for premium fuel when the similar engine-equipped Tacoma doesn't require that is a heresy.

So anyways, what are your thoughts on the Xterra?

For starters, I still love my 4runner 7 years into my ownership, it is mechanically sound, except for rust taking its toll on the rear window mechanism, need for a new front suspension and a starter rebuild. It has 210 000 kms and doesn't drink a drop of oil.

I've sat in the Nissan, and while it is a nice truck, the interior seems low-rent compared to my Toy. Engine-wise and design-wise, I like it.

I just don't know if it is reliable. My Toyota is just out of this world in that department.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:35 AM

xterras are for girls haha
Old 03-09-2007, 06:40 AM
Banned

too be honest, the new xterra is not my cup of tea design wise, it looks fugly, the older ones like my friends 2000, is a verrry good looking SUV. he has a silver brushguard and silver tail guards, for a semi stock SUV it looks good.

Ive never driven one so I couldnt really give you an opinion, but i rode in it and the ride was faily comfortable. I didnt really ride in it long enough to compare to my runner though
Old 03-09-2007, 06:43 AM

The current Xterras are nice but they are not as tough as the 1st gens. I'm in an Xterra club and there has been like 3 guys in the club that have tore the front diff out. Depends on how hard you wheel if that will be a problem for you. Check out this forum for info. You can also see the wild SAS project a friend of mine is doing on his 05 offroad here.

Good luck man!
Old 03-09-2007, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
xterras are for girls haha
I disagree.

I like XTerras, well, the older ones anyway. The newer ones are just a bit too big for my liking. I had the chance to take a 2000 or 2001 XTerra offroad abit around Durango, Colorado. Granted there was nothing extreme, and the vehicle was bone stock, it still did very well. I like the way they ride and perform. They don't look ugly either I haven't heard much on the reliability issue. Nissan's are generally pretty decent from what I know, but then, nothing can compare to the legacy that is Toyota.

-Pest
Old 03-09-2007, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

How about an X5 with a manual?

Personally, I agree with you, Nissan's just feel too cheap. I know they make a good product but they just dont compare to Toyota.

Back to BF.c!
Old 03-09-2007, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by amgraham
I'm in an Xterra club and there has been like 3 guys in the club that have tore the front diff out.

What? What happened exactly, and how?

Wheeling will be moderate, but still...
Old 03-09-2007, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mtriple
Back to BF.c!
Old 03-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Banned

keep your 4runner until you see something that you absolutely know is going to be a equal yet better replacement for your current vehicle, if you doubt yourself now, you will hate it later
Old 03-09-2007, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by neliconcept
keep your 4runner until you see something that you absolutely know is going to be a equal yet better replacement for your current vehicle
This is what the Xterra is. Just not sure I need to replace what has been the most awesome vehicle I've had in my life, a vehicle I still turn around to stare at before I enter my house at night because it aged so well.

I just want to sell it before everything starts needing replacement (like the timing belt, which I forgot to mention).
Old 03-09-2007, 07:06 AM

My friend just went from a 2001 xterra to a '99 4runner. He says everything about the 4runner is just better quality. Better ride on and off road. Better looks interior exterior. We live and drive on the beach alot and the amount of rust his old xterra had was just crazy compared to my 99 4runner
Old 03-09-2007, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by E-money
My friend just went from a 2001 xterra to a '99 4runner. He says everything about the 4runner is just better quality. Better ride on and off road. Better looks interior exterior. We live and drive on the beach alot and the amount of rust his old xterra had was just crazy compared to my 99 4runner
I'm talking about the newer one. Different beast.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hugo, the FJ can use any grade of gas.
Toyota released a paper stating that any grade can be used.

It was a misprint in the owners manual stating that you had to use 91 octane.

Yes, the auto tranny with 4WD is a part time 4WD, just like the older rigs.
The 6 speed stick is full time 4WD, eating up more gas.

As far as build quality, I myself have always thought Toyota is a lot tighter than any Nissan out there.
My FJs build quality is as good as the older Toyotas, rock solid.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Hugo
I'm talking about the newer one. Different beast.
Same manufacturer. I have yet to see a new(er) (we're talking since the 80's) Nissan hold up to the kind of abuse that Toyota's can take. My dad has a 05 Titan, and granted, it's a big powerhouse of a truck, but it just feels kinda cheap. My truck is two years older, has been extensively offroaded, and has fewer squeaks and squeals than the Titan. Just food for thought.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Corey
My FJs build quality is as good as the older Toyotas, rock solid.

I've been less than impressed with the clamshell doors I've played with at the auto show.

And Toyota reps STILL say you need to use 91 octane, at least if you want proper HP and mileage figures.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:22 AM

we went out to cleghorn with a stock one and a lifted one. i was expecting to be pulling them out and lending them tools to fix stuff, but they did everything like champs! was very impressed.

this was, btw, the previous gen.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Hugo
What? What happened exactly, and how?

Wheeling will be moderate, but still...
I can't find the threads right now but both were under some pretty good stress but nothing really out of the ordinary.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:06 AM

Here's a buddy of mine's 05 going up a pretty good ledge (it's much steeper than it looks.. I haven't been able to make it yet). He has since sold it for a JK Unlimited because of what he heard about the front diff and to go any bigger/more lift it was gonna be mucho expensive.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:04 AM

Hahaah!

Here are a couple of things I noticed on the Xterra that I didn't like (although I still believe using Nissan's Alpha platform on a mid-szie SUV is a good combo)

- No separate rear heater, it works with the front one;
- No opening rear window (although mine is broken);
- Rear tailgate shocks mounting points are on dangerously thin sheetmetal. I was forcing the tailgate up and the sheetmetal was moving ;
- Rocker panel clearance still doesn't match the 4Runner's;

What I liked :

- Great engine/tranny combo
- 42:1 crawl ratio
- Lockable rear diff (I don't have it)
- 32s
- Discs all around
- Polyvalent cargo area

Although at the moment, I'm leaning towards keeping my current rig. I do not NEED a new truck, really. This one still fulfills my needs.

Kinda weird not to be bored after 7 years.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:20 AM

Does the XTerra have a frame or unibody?

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on the current gen Xterra?