Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Woe is my Runner

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woe is my Runner

I have had my 97 2wd 4Runner for a few months now and it has come in quiet handy on a few camping trips, however I was easily matched by what seemed to be an extremely light trail. Lost all hope of traction while trying to back up and turn around to head back up a fairly steep incline. There was no mud, only a little rough grass. After many failed attempts to dig out with rocks and sticks I shamefully had to get help from a HEEP that lived about a mile away.

My assumptions would be that a good set of AT's or MT's would have faired better than the road tires I have. Other than learning some technique :pat: what other additions to the adventure hearted 2wd can you recommend? Don't really want heavy duty trail rig cus it is a daily driver but i would like to be a little mor e capable.(trading for a 4wd may be possible in the future but not right now)
Old 08-19-2004, 05:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yota97~AL
I have had my 97 2wd 4Runner for a few months now and it has come in quiet handy on a few camping trips, however I was easily matched by what seemed to be an extremely light trail. Lost all hope of traction while trying to back up and turn around to head back up a fairly steep incline. There was no mud, only a little rough grass. After many failed attempts to dig out with rocks and sticks I shamefully had to get help from a HEEP that lived about a mile away.

My assumptions would be that a good set of AT's or MT's would have faired better than the road tires I have. Other than learning some technique :pat: what other additions to the adventure hearted 2wd can you recommend? Don't really want heavy duty trail rig cus it is a daily driver but i would like to be a little mor e capable.(trading for a 4wd may be possible in the future but not right now)
better tires and more driving skill/experience is really all you can do....the addition of a locker would help with traction but in snow mud and dirt a locked locker w/o the addition of the 4wd has a tendency to "side step" since the back is pushing but nothing is pulling up front, which means the back end starts coming around and can be a little scarey/annoying in the snow.....although people do it, i wouldnt recommend an auto locker for a daily driver and i wouldnt recommend investing in manual locker like arb, or electrac since you 2wd and thats alot of money to put into that rear end and still have nothing up front.....
Old 08-19-2004, 06:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey! Welcome. I'm in Hoover off of 280... Where are you? I have a 4wd w/ ARB rear locker, and I can get through some pretty nasty stuff in 2WD w/ just my rear locked. An ARB locker, compressor, and installation will run you about $1000 give or take a few bucks. It's an awesome addition that will help a bunch. You can get through more w/ a locker and michelins than you will be able to do w/ no locker and some AT tires. If you go the ARB route, then if you ever decide that you want to sell it or the runner, you can always get alot of your money back out of it. You just offer it for cash + trade for an open diff (non-locked) from a stock runner and you have the buyer come over and do the swap. Swapping the entire thirds is fairly easy. However, you cannot install an ARB locker w/o some gearing experience and a hydraulic press. It's easier to just swap (as long as the gear ratio's are the same) and get cash on top of it.

Do a search for more info on tire choices and ARB Air Lockers. Popular AT's are Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo. You can fit a 265/75-16 w/ no lift and it will give you a 1" taller tire as well.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:06 AM

another bama member!
Old 08-19-2004, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Grass is always slick. And since you have 2wd and no locker, you really have 1wd...that always favors the wheel with the LEAST traction. You just have to learn some new techniques and you might carry a hand winch or a HiLift jack to get you over some tough spots. I always looked at both my 2wd truck and 4runner as ways to get me back in there...and when I couldn't go any farther, I'd park and hike. You'll actually see more on foot anyway.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:59 AM

Sounds soo familiar...

When I first got mine way back in 2000, I had the Dunlop GranTrek 225s. I got stuck in grass on a very slight incline. My front two were pointing the direction I wanted to go, my back end slid around and I just kept on the gas until I came too close to a tree line. Luckily my buddy with a Z-71 was there laughing and he pulled me out in 2wd. After that I got some 31" ATs and never had much of a problem since. Just get ATs.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:07 PM

How sure is the 265/75's fit on a stock 2wd? Also thought about getting some 4wd springs to put on.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Scarface
another bama member!
Heres another one!
Old 08-24-2004, 03:09 AM

Sweet Home !!!