Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring question

I have read the articles regarding wiring the hellas, and would like to just clarify some stuff before i electrocute myself, or worse burn my truck. When installing the auxillary fuse box, as in the tech write up by Corey, these essentially are just lone fuses coming off the battery without having to tap into pre-existing fuses. So the wire from my switch that would have gone to the high beam (or any other accesory fuse) , is now going to its respective fuse in the auxillary box. Is this right? And then the rest of the wires hook up in the way described by the instructions?
Old 04-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
You got it
By tapping into the fuse on the aux box for one of the three wires that goes to your switch, you will have full time power available to your lamps.

If you hook it to your low or high beams as Hella wants you to, then your aux lights will only work when the lights are on.

You have more control over them when tapped to a direct "hot" fuse.

Take notice in the above pic that all three sets of my off road lamps are wired to one fuse for all three switches.
The switch only needs a low current to activate it, which in turn energizes the relay.
Always use a relay to be safe.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:57 PM

so,,how do you tap into a fuse?
haha. do you just run the wire in with the fuse(almost underneath), into the fuse box. and into the power side of the fuse
Old 04-28-2004, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Godzilla
so,,how do you tap into a fuse?
haha. do you just run the wire in with the fuse(almost underneath), into the fuse box. and into the power side of the fuse

They have male tab connectors on the sides. You connect your wire to a female connector and then insert it to one of these. Take a closer look at the pic above and you'll notice what I'm talking about. I bought one but I still have to install it.

George
Old 04-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
You have me a tad confused here.
In the above pic, you don't tap underneath the glass fuses, you have a male prong from the aux box which you put a female spade connector over that goes to one of the three wires for your switch. .

If you mean by tapping into your stock fuse box that is in the cab, you just pull out the fuse and curl your wire underneath of it.
I ran it that way for a long time until I got the aux box to clean up the jungle.

More info on the aux box and wiring the lights can be found:
Aux box

Wiring lamps
Old 04-28-2004, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
You got it

The switch only needs a low current to activate it, which in turn energizes the relay.
Always use a relay to be safe.
I don't mean to be a jerk about details, but a relay doesn't make it safer, it just makes the install easier. Running the correct sized wiring through an appropriately sized fuse and a switch that can handle the current and then directly to the lights would be the safest and best approach. Using a relay just means you use less of the larger wire and can use a minimally rated switch. It's also a lot easier in most instances.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:11 PM

see this is what ive been tryin to figure out, why would you put a aux fuse box directly from your battery to run to your switch, then your switch to your relay, and your relay is then connected to your battery. if you want the lights on at any time why dont you just run a direct line with a fuse and switch in it. instead of your battery power activate the relay only to supply the energy to the lights. you have a switch for the same switch. I understand why you use the relay when connecting to either headlamps or another accesory, but to run it from the battery is whats been messin me up.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Godzilla
see this is what ive been tryin to figure out, why would you put a aux fuse box directly from your battery to run to your switch, then your switch to your relay, and your relay is then connected to your battery. if you want the lights on at any time why dont you just run a direct line with a fuse and switch in it. instead of your battery power activate the relay only to supply the energy to the lights. you have a switch for the same switch. I understand why you use the relay when connecting to either headlamps or another accesory, but to run it from the battery is whats been messin me up.
I sent you a PM but I'll also post the short answer here for others. You use a relay mainly because there are stupid guys like me running 130watt bulbs in the lights, and most switches won't handle that much power. With a relay your heavy ga. wire has a shorter run, and the wiring to and from the switch can be any size, as well as the switch being light duty. Hope this clears it up.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:37 PM

thanks mn, clear as mud. kidding i get it now, thanks