Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What do you think of these Free flow cats

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you think of these Free flow cats

My cat converter is clogged and I am in need of replacing it. I don't want to just hollow it out like has been suggested before, (that would be irresponsable to my son). Besides I have emmisions due next week. So I have 3 choices Performance Products (don't know who makes it for them, LC Eng. (same goes), and TruckPerformance.com (made by Car Sounds). They are all about the same price $130 USD after gaskets and everything.

What I am looking for is any type of feedback from anyone that has used any of these Free Flow Cats., or maybe I missed a company that you have used and liked.

Thanks

P.S. this is going on a stock Toyota exhaust for now. No money for things that arn't broke.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, if you're going to keep the stock muffler, there's no point in going with a highflow cat- the exhaust flow will still be limited by the muffler. In general, you'll loose backpressure and low end torque by going with high flow cat-back exhausts. Someone told me (I don't remember) that the OME cat conv. was designed pretty well. So, I'd go with whatever is the cheapest.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:43 PM

Most people don't know this, but any replacement catalytic converter out there is going to be high flow. At least that's what the guy at my local muffler shop told me when I told him I wanted a "high flow cat". I got my CarSound from his shop for $150 installed. You'd probably be better off just going to a muffler shop because if you buy it from them, they'll usually put it on pretty cheap rather than if you just showed up with one and said "Here, weld this on."
Old 08-14-2003, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

That Maxima guys all use Carsound Cats, with great results.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:06 PM

Im using a DynoMax free-flow cat. It was the cheapest i could find, aroun $55 I think. I got it from JEG'S. If you want I can go find the part number. Its a 3way w/o the air hose.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

will i still be able to pass emissions with any type of high flow cat on my 3vze in san francisco?
Old 08-15-2003, 03:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't seen the loss in low end torque, but there has been an increase in the 3vze's 3200 on up rpm power. The three grand powerband got a little more muscle.

I have the carsound one from performance products and a stock muff. The whole exhuast from behind the cat will be swapped for a 2.25" next.

steve
Old 08-15-2003, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

I also have a Car Sound catalytic converter. I went to a reputable muffler shop I found by asking around, and told the guy what I do with my truck, and asked him for some recommendations. I told him I wanted a freer flowing converter and muffler, and 2.25 pipe from the cat back since all of that needed to be replaced. Since I was going with 2.25" pipe, the catalytic convrter was going to be larger than the stock one anyways, because of the difference in inlet/oulet size from the stocker. So, in effect, it is freer flowing because it is larger. I also went with an Xlerator muffler (similar to Magnaflow in design). It's basically a glorified glasspack, but it looks like a regular straight through muffler and has stainless steel sound absorbing material instead of fiberglass-- which blows out over time. It's actually a bit louder than I expected, but it's not bad. The sound kind of grew on me. Overall, the performance is better at higher rpm, with no real noticeable torque loss at low rpm. I don't have any other modifications to take advantage of the freer flowing exhaust, but it's nice to have that for the future. I haven't tested for GA emissions yet, so I don't know if my emissions will be worse or better. I'm thinking they should be better with a brand new catalytic converter after 125,000 miles.

One other thing that I thought was cool, was that I told the muffler guy that I off road with this truck. He recommended that the exhaust system be fully welded. No clamps, no bolted flanges, just welded joints in order to keep things from rattling loose. That was a good recommendation, and he scored some points in my book for that. He also tucked it up under there pretty well, too.

I'll have to borrow a digital camera to take some pictures of it.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Here's some pics of my exhaust:

Car Sound Catalytic Converter 2.25" inlet/outlet

Xlerator 2.25" Muffler

Muffler and cat view

Muffler and tailpipe view--- I wish I had gone with mandrel bends, but I forgot to ask the guy if that was an option.

Tailpipe exit in stock location
Old 08-15-2003, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the input guy's. Once this goe's on I am saving money for a Cat back system. Only one mod at a time is allowed in my house. And since my cat is fried I am going to start there.