Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wet Okoles...How rugged are they?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wet Okoles...How rugged are they?

I need to get some seat covers for my Runner.

I take my dog to the hike and bike trail downtown and she always gets in the lake. Which is fine by me, thats what Labs do.

Are the Okoles sturdy enough to handle her claws? I try to keep them trimmed as much as possible, I just dont want to invest in a nice seat cover and have her tear it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes yes they are very strong! dont worry about durability. i have had mine for 3 yrs now, i havent cleaned them, they are kinda brown but do everything they say, and again yes, they will withstand her claws.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:34 PM

My dog sits in the back seat and walks on the backside of the rear seats(when folded down). He weighs 80lbs. and no problems at all- just dog hair.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:09 AM

I've got 2 Jack Russell Terriers - while not as heavy as your dog, their nails are sharper and they are way more hyper. I haven't had any problems with the seat covers in the 2 or so years I've had them.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:14 AM

Sorry but I believe those are a waste of money. They are so expensive. Check out these instead. I got the ones made from Cordura and they are exceptional.

http://www.great-covers.com/
Old 07-27-2004, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by calamaridog
Sorry but I believe those are a waste of money. They are so expensive. Check out these instead. I got the ones made from Cordura and they are exceptional.

Do you have any pics? Is the Cordura pretty rough material? How comfortable are they?
Old 07-27-2004, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by calamaridog

Have you ever owned a set? If not, how can you say they are a waste of money? You might be able to say that the Cordura ones are high quality and less expensive, thus a better deal, but don't bad mouth something unless you've owned it.

If you have owned them... I know I'd appreciate a brief comparison of the two. You are correct, Wet Okoles are very expensive, but the material and fit are excellent. If there's a better option out there, I'd like to know about it, but I want some info first.

Last edited by jacksonpt; 07-27-2004 at 05:24 AM.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:10 AM

They look fine and I'm sure are an inexpensive alternative. However the fit isn't up to WO par and I don't think they are padded nor 100% waterproof and the rear seat covers leave substantial gaps and exposed areas---which is totally acceptable for the price.

It's all in what you find acceptable or necessary.

Wet Okole has the non-custom covers (that also look great) for about the same price as the great-covers. A couple people here have them and they look great and seem to fit better than the great-covers too.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:10 PM

Sorry to ruffle your feathers. I guess "waste of money" was offensive and a bad choice of words. Personally, I don't spend large amounts of cash on items which don't improve the performance of my truck.

I'm simply trying to provide a cheaper alternative. I only paid $99 shipped for my Tacoma, on sale. My parents paid $200 shipped for their 2002 4 Runner. I'd love to know how much the WO's cost you all.

I have not owned WO, but I have sat on them before. They are very nice, but not as nice as the Volvo leather seats $400, Celica seats $300, and re-apolstered seats $300 I have seen in other trucks.

What I'm trying to say is these covers are very durable and cheaper than the WO product. The fit is not 100%, but that is not why I bought seat covers. They are extremely durable. You can take them off and wash them. They are very practical for an off road vehicle.

I'll snap a shot of them when I can so you can see the fit and look of the material. Cordura is the same material they make backpacks out of.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:28 PM

I'm not offended. There are alot of seatcover threads and alternatives, nothing wrong with that. Like I said, WO has a non-custom alternative too ($99?) and the custom are around $200/pr. I simply like the "OEM" look, total waterproof and coverage, no worries... it was just a simple investment in the life of the truck for me, that's all. I used to stretch a t-shirt over the seatback when I was in college, that worked too. Whatever works for you.

The difference (from WO's press)

The Difference is Important!

Our custom neoprene backed car seat covers are designed to fit every popular model of car, van or truck. They do not get hot in the summer or cold in the winter. They are completely waterproof and fit your seats like a glove. We manufacture our seat covers in the USA using the finest materials. We offer color combinations to match most car interiors. These seat covers are easy to install and use high quality quick connect fasteners and Velcro.

They are designed with separate covers for head rests and arm rests. Our neoprene has nylon bonded to both sides for easier installation, better fit and ultimate protection. We use only the best quality CR 100% neoprene. Others use SBR imitation neoprene.

Here is the difference:

TYPE-SBR
OZONE-POOR
protection-POOR
Flammable-YES

TYPE-CR
OZONE-GOOD
protection-GOOD
Flammable-NO

Our boxing neoprene is laminated with nylon on both sides, making it twice as strong. No rubber touches your seat material which is especially important with leather or vinyl seats.

All seating surfaces are 1/2" foam padded for extra comfort and added protection.

Wet Okole seat covers are used by more police, fire and lifeguard agencies than any other cover

We repair Wet Okole Seat Covers for $12.00 for any panel at any time.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:47 PM

So does anybody here have pics of the non-custom Wet Okoles in their rig? - specifically 2nd generation 4runner if it matters.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
These are the custom ones in my 2nd gen, but they will give you an idea sort of.
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...kole/corey.htm

And yes, they were pricy.
I first got the fronts at around $260, then ordered the rears right away for around $240, as it looked funny with only the fronts.

They are worth every penny, and they are durable.
Mine are exposed to sunlight all the time, and they have not faded one bit in over two years.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the reply Corey. I think your covers look awesome, I just don't know if I have that kinda $$$ to spend on seatcovers. Can you think of anybody on the board with the noncustom?
Old 07-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for the comps.

Try a search on the forum for seat covers, as I know someone posted pics of the non custom ones within the past year.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

You guys with the older rigs should check out the CLEARANCE section. I think I've got a good deal for my 1st gen
Thanks for the link Calamaridog!
Old 07-27-2004, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by s_wall98
Thanks for the reply Corey. I think your covers look awesome, I just don't know if I have that kinda $$$ to spend on seatcovers. Can you think of anybody on the board with the noncustom?

s_wall98, I just picked up a pair of the non-custom wo for my 2nd gen, sorry I don't have pics but they look great!!! Easiest $90 bucks spent! The seat covers themselves are only like 60-70 bucks, they get you on shipping and of course tax. But for $90 you can't go wrong. Just ask for the "universal fit" or "non-custom" fit. The only difference I really noticed is that it is all one piece. The custom has a separate piece for the headrest. But I kinda like the one piece. Makes it look like bucket racing seats. Don't be skeered....
Old 07-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

I've been wondering this too...

I've got 4 dogs, 2 border collies that weigh about 70 each and then a Rott that weighs about 120 and a Black Lab that weighs about 80-85 depending on what he eats before he gets in. So I'd be really interested in the durabiltiy of em...my dogs are more important that my seat covers anyway but I'm just makin sure it wouldn't be a waste cause my dogs go in the lake and our pool all the time so I just wanna get as much protection as I can.

Sounds like they'll do fine!

Fink
Old 07-27-2004, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
I've been wondering this too...

I've got 4 dogs, 2 border collies that weigh about 70 each and then a Rott that weighs about 120 and a Black Lab that weighs about 80-85 depending on what he eats before he gets in. So I'd be really interested in the durabiltiy of em...my dogs are more important that my seat covers anyway but I'm just makin sure it wouldn't be a waste cause my dogs go in the lake and our pool all the time so I just wanna get as much protection as I can.

Sounds like they'll do fine!

Fink
My Wet Okoles seem to be just fine with my Doberman. She started from the 3 months old puppy and now she weights about 60 lbs and she never sits still in the back seat. I've had Wet Okoles for almost a year now and they still look as good as new. That's after washing them, of course!

-- Andrey
Old 07-27-2004, 07:57 PM

Here are my custom ones. I think it looks better than the original interior. If you live in socal, you can go there for free install and no shipping $
Mine also still looks new after a year and no washing or anything. I've vacumed the doghair and wiped off the dog drool but I've really done zero maintence- and don't really intend to.

Back seats-custom- there is a cover for the flip-down armrest too.

This shows the back of the seats- they cutout holes for the tiedown hooks (double-stitched so it doesn't fray)

The 'europiping' option in a Element. It looked cool in a flashy way.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Nic

All the pictures I see of installed Wet Okoles are on bucket seats. Does anyone have some (pictures) installed on the 60/40 type seats? That's the type I have. It seems to me that any type seat cover would not fit well on the 60/40 bench seat.

I would invest in some Wet Okoles if I knew they would fit without looking bad.

Quick Reply: Wet Okoles...How rugged are they?