Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wet Floorboards

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wet Floorboards

I've done a thorough search on this site concerning my situation, and came up short. I figured this topic was discussed somewhere along the line but I came up with very little information. I've contacted my local 4x4 outfitter, and a Toyota dealership and neither could help me.
My problem is whenever I drive during rains my passenger side floorboard gets soaked. I mean sopping wet! The carpet gets really musty smelling and this causes the inside of my windows to get really foggy during the spring, and frozen with a thin layer of crystals during the winter from condensation. This is a real pain in my ass, as I can not store anything on the passenger floor without it getting soaked. Has anyone had any familiarity with this situation? I appreciate all info, and I know of other Taco owners with the same exact problem who have no answers either.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:32 AM

Bump...
Old 04-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

Possibly bad windshield gasket- water runng down piller inside vehicle. .
Old 04-14-2004, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Also check the rubber lining along your door frame and see if its intact or bent somewhere along the way. My drivers side had slipped off, and needed to just be pushed back in.

Also I had a friend who's a/c would leak water into the floor of the passenger side, check that out as well.

ALso like the other guy said check the fittings around the windshield, and the a-pillar.

good luck!
Old 04-14-2004, 11:17 AM
funglenn

This is an obvious one, but did you check the grommets on the floorboard?

My other thought is if you had a sunroof, one of the drain tubes may be leaking, does anyone know where they come out on the passenger side?
Old 04-14-2004, 12:17 PM

Well guys, I did check the window seal. It is not that. I checked the firewall grommets but didn't have any luck finding them. The tip on checking the floorboard grommets is GREAT. I didn't even know I had floorboard grommets. :pat: Are they located underneath the carpet? If so I'm going to do that tonight.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by rngrchad
Well guys, I did check the window seal. It is not that. I checked the firewall grommets but didn't have any luck finding them. The tip on checking the floorboard grommets is GREAT. I didn't even know I had floorboard grommets. :pat: Are they located underneath the carpet? If so I'm going to do that tonight.
My girlfriend had the exact same problem in here Heep. So bad was the leak that there was actually standing water, but it was on her drivers side I took out all the interior pannels and looked for holes or something. I found that the rear door on the drivers side wasn't tight up against the seal. I mean I got sprayed by the hose when my buddy was helping me out with locating the leak! So I loosend up the bar that the door latches too and moved it inward so the door sucked up nice and tight. So far everthing is drying out still. Just know that not only is your pass. side wet but that water has wicked throughout the inside of your vehicle inside the felt padding under the carpet. It will take a LONG time to dry on its own. Hope that helps and try what I did, take out all the inside pannels on your trouble side, sit in there and have a buddy spray your rig with the hose. It might locate the leak right way
Old 04-14-2004, 02:55 PM

same thing here

I had that same problem. In my case it was the rubber grommet that protect the antenna wire as it passes throught the fire wall. Or more correctly the lack of one. I put some all purpose tub and tile caulking and haven't had the problem sence.

ejr
Old 04-14-2004, 03:24 PM
funglenn

Originally Posted by rngrchad

Right under the carpet, your feet would rest on them if the carpet was missing, there are like 3 or so.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:44 PM

Old Post but im having the same problem, any new ideas as to what can be the problem
Old 11-17-2004, 12:57 PM

A little update on my girls heep. The problem was the door not being snug against the seal. We had a little mishap when a friend didn't shut the door hard enough and it rained all night. The drivers side was soaking wet again, so I thought I hadn't fixed it then I checked the door and it wasn't closed. Everything is drying out again

Check your door seals, make sure they aren't poping off and that your doors close tight. Stick your head underneath and check for hole in the floor boards (missing grommets and such). And sit in there and have a friend spray your rig with a hose, you might spot water coming in.

I don't have a great way to test a leaking windshield seal though

Erich
Old 11-17-2004, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

I know you checked the windshield seal, but did you have your windshield replaced before it started?
Old 11-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Contributing Member

On the 3rd gen, make sure that firewall grommet is good and snug! The stereo shop that did my alarm ran my siren wire on the OUTSIDE of the gromet, so all of the water runing down the windshield could easily pour right down inside of the truck. I had POOLS of water, and mold grew all up my seatbelt.

Check that gromett!
Old 11-17-2004, 03:06 PM

GapGuy
is the gromett youre talking about on the lower drivers side firewall in the engine compartment? If so i think that might be my problem, they ran my power wire through there and i remember a rubber thing was hanging so I threw it away thinking i didnt need it. [img]://www.yotatech.com/images/smilies/pissed.gif[/img]
how can i fix that
Old 11-17-2004, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most auto parts stores sell the rubber grommets. another thing that can cause these things is if someone has to pry your door open from the top to unlock it for you. you hear a little whistlin noise at higher speeds from the door not being in line with the body.

sounds like its that grommet your talking about though. my stang was littered with em throughout the underside.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Yep. Thats the one! It's quite large and has a few cables running through it. I don't know how you removed it without cutting it tho....
Old 11-17-2004, 05:37 PM

Thanks, the stereo shop removed it, but didnt really put it back on
Old 11-17-2004, 05:57 PM

rngrchad-

I don't know what year your Taco is but here's some food for thought.

I had some leaking problems in my Tacoma a few months ago but it was on the drivers side floorboard. I've got a factory sunroof and although it wasn't the drain tubes, with my brother and fathers help we finally fixed it. (Any Taco owners with a sunroof and a wet floor, I might be able to help!)

Anyway, I was at a local body shop (they do all of the local Toyota dealers body/paint work) talking with the owner we were discussing what my problem could be. He had never seen a problem like mine was having with it being on the drivers side. But he said they had done a ton of work for Toyota on 95.5 - 98 (?) Tacomas (without sunroofs) that leaked on the passenger side. It was an actual seam behind the fender that wasn't sealed well from the factory. He said there was even a TSB on it. Of course it didn't apply to me because mine was on the drivers side, but if you've got an earlier Taco with the passenger side leak this may be worth looking into.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:31 PM

I have the exact same problem, only I know for a fact that the water comes in around the windshield. From the top of the windshield , water runs down the inside, behind the dash and onto the carpet. I used some windshield sealer (basically caulking) from autozone and it helped for a while, but the sealer eventually dries out and cracks and water is again leaking in. It still leaks some but not nearly as much as it used to. I need to get a new windshield soon anyway, and will get that problem fixed then. For now, whenever it rains I just roll up a few shop towels and put them at the base of the windshield. This soaks up the little bit of leakage before it can get to the carpet.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:05 PM

[QUOTE=93toy]rngrchad-
I don't know what year your Taco is but here's some food for thought.

I had some leaking problems in my Tacoma a few months ago but it was on the drivers side floorboard.....

1997 Tacoma standard Cab. Still have the leek, still gets soaked while driving on wet surfaced roads. The passenger floorboard does not get wet if just sitting in the rain, I have to be driving on wet roads to do this....therefore I am beginning to believe the water is coming up from the bottom of the passenger floorboard somewhere.

Great information. I know this issue is unfortunately experienced by many Tacoma owners. The dealers have known about it for years but have no information to give on how to correct the problem.

Quick Reply: Wet Floorboards