Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

This weekend is gen2 airbox mod and silencer removal. Thanks Yota!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking This weekend is gen2 airbox mod and silencer removal. Thanks Yota!

Thanks for the great info on the message board guys n' gals. (I'm a cronic lurker). I am about to do the air box and silencer mods on my 94 and I thought it only polite to thank Gadget,Joey and Blu for the great writeups that I will be using as insperation.

One or two quick questions before I head into the project.

On Gadgets site he said some combinations of mod's did not yield improvments expected. ""I was told by the people at TRD that they have tested the FIPK and they saw a reduction in power. I later ran my own dyno test and found this to in fact be true. ""

-Will I be running into this when I do my airbox and Joey's silencer removal mod? What is the common opinion as to why the FIPK did not work as well as the other mods?

-When people ask me how many hp's did I gain what should I tell them? =)

Thanks for all the help!!

--d
Old 03-31-2004, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

1. No. Gadget's test's are of a 3rd gen with the SC. For some reason they lose power when the intake is less restricted.

2. I'd say somewhere between 5 and 10 horsepower. It'll make a noticeable difference but it isn't much.

Old 03-31-2004, 12:51 PM

Ahh, I see. Thanks Ag.

Any opinion? I am taking putt-putt (my 94 4runner) into the dealership for a valve job pretty soon. Is there anything I can have them do when the heads are off to help with performance? It would be great to kill two birds with one stone.

Maybe a manifold polish?
Old 04-01-2004, 07:37 AM

You could go the route I did and send them and the cams to DOA for a P&P and cam regrind. If you do, get the turn key package. Have to warn you though, its a lot of $$$$ and the return wont be felt untill you run above 3000 rpm. Thats the way it is with me anyway. I have an auto tranny. Also, to see the full benifits of this mod, you will also need to run a full 2.5" exhaust. Weld it onto the stock downpipe up around the tranny area and use a free flow cat and muffler. You do see improvement with these mods, but you have to be over 3k rpm to notice it. Off the line from 800rpm to 2500, where you will see lots of your driveing in town, its still a dog. Also when I run 70 at about 2800 rpm, it still has to downshift on several of the hills here where as a 3rd gen 4 runner does not have to and they run 70 @ 2000 rpm.

If I were to do it again I would save my money. The extra HP is just too high up in the powerband for my intended use. It might work great for a wheeler that will be crawling, or spinning 33s or 36s in mud at 4k+ rpms, but thats not what I do with mine. Id rather have had the money for future repaires or stereo mods.

Almost forgot about this though. It might be a good idea to have the intake manifold cleaned out, and have the fuel injectors ultrasonicly cleaned and flow tested. This would make them spray properly, and may alert you to any questionable injectors. Be aware, the injectors are pricey if you did need a new one or two. Might look into DOAs or RC Engeneerings rebuilt injectors. RC also will do yours I believe. I had a local place do mine. They found one bad one and I found a dude on 4wire willing to sell me one cheap. Have fun!!

Last edited by williemon; 04-01-2004 at 07:43 AM.