V8 - 235 HP

03 H2:

Base - $48,400
Wheelbase - 122"
Length - 189"
Width - 81"
Height - 77.8"
V8 - 325 HP

I took a lot of heat from a lot of you guys. Most of you said the H2 was as big as a school bus and that it wouldn't "wheel" where you guys go because it is so freakin HUGE. So that was the reason you would take the 03 Runner instead. Well, as you can see the 03 Runner is darn near the same size as the H2. And, the difference in price is NOT twenty thousand dollars like some stated!

Don't get me wrong fellas.... I love my 93 Runner. This topic came up because a few weeks ago everyone was piping in with their two cents about the 03 Runner. Some love it, some hate it. I don't like it and was just mentioning that I would prefer the H2 because it does not look like all the other SUV's - including the 03 Runner. And also because the H2 is the BADDEST SUV out there for under 50K. Thanks for hearing me out and letting me argue my case.

Old 10-25-2002, 05:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got any numbers on weight? Just curious.

The H2 is just another Chevy truck with a fancy body/ interior right? That's what I have heard, not like I care. I don't really care about the '03 4Runner either. Its WAY out of my price range.

My next vehicle will be along the lines of a '97 Limited 4Runner 5 speed. That's only after my truck dies or I gain some little JX94148s to haul around in carseats.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:14 PM

Matt > Not just another Chevy that's for sure. Check out this addy ---> www.elcova.com/h2/specs.htm

It has EVERYTHING about the H2 including pics.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:41 PM
ts1
Contributing Member

Whitey,

The H2 is 7.2 inches wider and 6 inches taller. I think that is pretty significant especially the width factor. I was side by side with one and it is substantially bigger. I guess the point I am making is that the width will make it difficult for it to go on narrow trails but I am sure there are many places it can go and will more than make up for for its size.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by jx94148
Got any numbers on weight? Just curious.

The H2 is just another Chevy truck with a fancy body/ interior right? That's what I have heard, not like I care. I don't really care about the '03 4Runner either. Its WAY out of my price range.

My next vehicle will be along the lines of a '97 Limited 4Runner 5 speed. That's only after my truck dies or I gain some little JX94148s to haul around in carseats.
I'm with you Matt, I don't really care about either of them and if/when I get a new truck it'll be a 3rd gen with elocker.

With the exception of the rear locker, sliders, and air suspension, it sounds like a regular chevy truck to me. Tacoma's have lockers, and the 2003 runner has air suspension.

Whitey, I'd also say that with a couple modifications a jeep grand cherokee would be far more capable than the H2. All you have to do is put in 1 or 2 arb lockers and disconnect the sway bars and you have much better than a H2 for $10k less (top of the line GC $38K).

An observation I made was that you said it is a Man's truck (something to that effect), but in the commercials they've been marketing it toward women.

Steve
Old 10-25-2002, 08:50 PM

Steve, I like women!
Old 10-25-2002, 08:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How can you compare a Toyota to a GM anyway?
Old 10-25-2002, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by ts1
Whitey,

The H2 is 7.2 inches wider and 6 inches taller. I think that is pretty significant especially the width factor. I was side by side with one and it is substantially bigger.
Ditto. I have had a lot of time to look one over too, they are BIG. It is actually taller and longer than it's daddy the Humvee. The wheelbase is nearly 13" longer than the new 4Runner (not that I care for the new 4Runner either).

I do not care for the torsion bar front suspension that it uses either. The spare tire on this thing comes in at a serious 98lbs! That is why it is not mounted on the rear, consequently it takes up a lot of cargo space, but I hear they have an after market setup that allows for rear mounting.

There are a lot of impressive features about it though, but IMO its size keeps it to a limited usage.

Originally posted by jx94148
The H2 is just another Chevy truck with a fancy body/ interior right? That's what I have heard, not like I care.
It does share the same platform as the Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Avalanche, etc ..... Some interior parts are taken from the Pontiac Aztek SUV, notably the air vents in the dashboard. Other interior components are taken from GM's pickup truck and SUV parts bins.

Whitey, have you ever test drove one? I am just curious about the onroad acceleration. I have drove many Humvee's and they are one of the slowest trucks I have ever been in, but with the different engine maybe the H2 behaves better. What are your impressions?

I agree with you Whitey, we are really gettting limited with the amount of true off-road vehicles left on the market. I really wish Toyota would have went in another direction with the new 4Runner. With all of the SUV's in their line up, why did they have to whimp out the 4Runner and turn it into just another wanna be car like countless others on the market.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:49 PM

Wulf > Yeah, I think that's my biggest beef with Toyota and the new 4Runner. With all the other models that Toyota makes, why did they have to turn the 4Runner into just another run of the mill looking suv? I'm sure it is a very comfy vehicle and I'm sure it does many things on and off road wonderfully. But it just seems to have lost it's unique look and "bad ass" style. Oh well... I guess this is the look for the future for all 4WD SUV's. Well, except for the H2

Old 10-28-2002, 07:36 PM

An observation I made was that you said it is a Man's truck (something to that effect), but in the commercials they've been marketing it toward women.
I have seen 3 different H2's on the streets here and all had women drivers.Im sure the H3 will have shopping cart protection on it. The new 2003 Chevy Diesel pickup the firedept bought has the plastic protection and they where glued on, so we removed them.Maybe the runners can be removed
Old 10-29-2002, 04:23 AM
Erc

Re: The truth prevails!!!

Originally posted by Whitey
03 Runner:

Base - $36,480
Wheelbase - 109"
Length - 189"
Width - 73.8"
Height - 71.6"
V8 - 235 HP

03 H2:

Base - $48,400
Wheelbase - 122"
Length - 189"
Width - 81"
Height - 77.8"
V8 - 325 HP

And, the difference in price is NOT twenty thousand dollars like some stated!

Sorry, man, but you're just wrong! Stop looking at MSRP prices! It does not at all matter what MSRP is! What matters is how much you can actually GET the truck for!
Look here..
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/hummer/h2/index.html

and here..
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/toyo...ner/index.html

You'll see that one would HAVE to pay 20k more for H2.
I think the ratio of 03 runners being taken offroad (vs those driven on road only) will be about the same as for H2's, if not higher.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:15 AM
CTB

Where did you find an H2 for $48K? Everything I have seen on local dealer lots has been around the $55K range.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Is it me or are the rest of you tired of H2 post??? :mad:

Hey Corey, lets create a H2 forum so Whitey can post his inaccurate H2 babble there!!

And your wrong on the 03 4Runner, its base is not 36K, get your facts strait, the two vehicles arent even on the same playing field!!
Old 10-29-2002, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The truth prevails!!!

03 Runner:

Base - $36,480
Wheelbase - 109"
Length - 189"
Width - 73.8"
Height - 71.6"
V8 - 235 HP

03 H2:

Base - $48,400
Wheelbase - 122"
Length - 189"
Width - 81"
Height - 77.8"
V8 - 325 HP

You don't find the difference in these numbers significant? I *have* a 122" wheelbase and would die for the 4Runner's 109" w/b. That is a considerable difference! A seven inch difference in width is the difference between making it through a trail clean versus ripping both sides of your truck wide-open on a rock!

:rolleyes:
Old 10-29-2002, 02:19 PM

Wow! You guys really get bent out of shape easily. Are we ALL supposed to get in line and bow down to the almighty 03 Runner just because this is a Toyota Forum? Well, I'm not going to. I've stated my dislikes about the 03 Runner and you guys just can't stand the fact that I don't get a woody when looking at the new 4Runner. And I find it funny that you only attack me and not the others that have voiced their dislikes about the new runner too.

I woke up to snow once again today here in Colorado and as I was driving to work I couldn't help but smile happily as I was sitting at the light with my coffee, snug as a bug with the heater on low and thinking how much I love my 93 4Runner. I just don't like the 03.

And Chris -- Administrator or not... You need to get your facts straight chum. Toyota makes 3 different models of the 4Runner. Have you even looked at the 3 different prices for each model? I stand by my quote that the higher end model 03 Toyota 4Runner starts at $36,848. And you are right about one thing -- The 4Runner and the H2 not being in the same catagory and class. --The H2 is by FAR the better of the two. Hands down! Now, does that make me a bad person because I think that? Of course not. Just as it doesn't make you a bad person for believing that your 4Runner is better than the Nissan Pathfinder. But an owner of one might feel differenty about it. So lighten up and remove your blinders.

Old 10-29-2002, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

not to get in the middle but I think because whitey put "base" everyone (or at least Chris and I) thought that he meant the base model = SR5?
Old 10-29-2002, 03:32 PM

Don't worry boys, this is far, far from being even a heated discussion. Everyone has their own opinions obviously, so I might as well insert my 2 bits while I'm at it.

I personally am starting to like the 2003 4Runner more and more. And as for the H1 & H2, GMC / Chevy or not, I like 'em. I've always liked Hummers though, and if I could afford one, yes I would buy it.

Call me soccer mom or whatever hehe, but I like them. That won't change. Anyhow, you're right..this is a 'Yota' forum, so back on track now: I love my Toyota!
Old 10-29-2002, 04:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I stand by my quote that the higher end model 03 Toyota 4Runner starts at $36,848.
Your persistent, I give you that..

I’m not going to try to explain the word “base” to you, the obvious applies there.. Nothing "base" about the limited...

Lets see, Oh

And you are right about one thing -- The 4Runner and the H2 not being in the same catagory and class. --The H2 is by FAR the better of the two. Hands down!
Here we see you agreeing that these two vehicles are in two completely different vehicle categories, so why do you compare the two like there in the same market, ohh that’s right, your just looking for excuses to keep bringing up the H2.. I agree the 03 is an ugly piece, but come on, why don’t you post the comparison between the Porsche 911 with the Toyota MR2, I bet the 911 wins too..

Chum
KC-MO
2000 SR5
Old 10-29-2002, 07:22 PM

Chum > Nothing "base" about the Limited? Sure there is! EVERY model has options that are available no matter how "nice" it is compared to the lesser models. What is it that is so difficult for you to understand that the "Base" Limited starts at $36,848 and by adding a few of the options available will bring the cost up at least 5 or 6 grand more? I challenge anyone in here to go to your local dealer and look at the "base" model. Any model - SR5, Sport, or Limited. Then ask if there are any options available. Yep you guessed it....plenty! If you know anything at all about Toyota's past marketing strategy concerning the 4Runner you will know that there were always a multitude of "packages" you could get for each model. At times it was down right confusing trying to get a 4Runner suited to one's taste without having to take extra options in order to just get certain things you only wanted - seats, wheels, etc.

And as for the H2's comparison to the 03. I've been saying all along that there is no comparison because the H2 is superior. Other members in here are the ones fooling themselves thinking that the 03 is by far so much better than the H2. Not me! I've said from post number one that the H2 is the one I would choose over the 03.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to debate this issue with me. I've enjoyed it and I believe it is always healthy to have debates occasionally in a forum otherewise all the posts and topics become very vanilla in nature. Thanks again.