Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Trail Gear Sliders Installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trail Gear Sliders Installed

Received the sliders on Thursday of last week and had them installed on Saturday. They're the 58" length listed for the 3rd gen 4Runner, which leave a bit of room front and rear when centered. I'm going to be doing more expedition-type travel, so I'm not too concerned with the exposed areas, though.

Otherwise, I wanted something that could also function as a step, so we didn't tuck it up against the body as much as most folks do. It sits at 11 degrees...so it does angle up a little bit. This, as I found out after we finished, makes it sit out a little bit further than the factory side-steps - great for side protection, but rubs my leg more than the side-steps did.

I'd originally wanted to bolt to the frame but drilling the holes for the top would have been a pain in the arse. So the brackets were welded instead. I'd ordered gussets, but they weren't included in the box. So we used some 'found' materials; worked out quite well, actually. Paint is RustOlium hammer finish rattle can. The match to the body cladding is almost perfect.

Overall, I'm very happy and think they turned out well.

I still need to spray the frame areas with automotive undercoating, paying special attention to the non-welded areas against the frame and the holes. I don't want water getting up between the brackets and frame rails.

Next step is to install my OME lift that's sitting in the garage. Then on to plugs, wires, fan clutch, synthetics all around, HELLA 500 install, and a roof rack modification - and I should be good to go for my 3000k trek out West this summer

Old 06-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking good! Sliders give you so much more confidence and security when wheeling on the rocks.

Sometimes I wish I would have installed my sliders like you did so they can be used as a step. I'm 6'3, so don't need a step, but my passengers often wish they did.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:03 PM

Looks good, I like that angle
Old 06-07-2010, 01:37 PM

Nice choice! Those look great, and the install looks very pretty. Nice welding.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:42 PM

looks really good man. now its time for some new bumpers
Old 06-07-2010, 02:05 PM

I have the TG sliders too and the 58" length hasn't bothered me at all. They still protect just fine and I've wheeled with them pretty hard for the last 3 weeks or so. Actually, all of the contact they've had with rocks or anything has been right in the middle of the slider. It's surprisingly hard to find a rock shaped perfectly enough to fit right in-between the slider and the tire and and tall enough to actually do damage to the body/rocker panels.

I looked at the AllPro Offroad sliders before I got the TGs, but I just could not justify paying double the price for 1" more slider on the front and 1" more on the back (AllPro's are 60"). The kickouts are nice, but I personally don't like the way they look very much and they still don't make the slider worth anywhere near double.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:56 PM

Jealous. I have been eying a set for a couple weeks now. Glad to see one on the same color runner. Pretty classy rig ya got there..

I am also wondering about the length. Trail-Gear offers a 67" which is listed for the 4Runner, but the body length is about 70" between the wheels. Why not get the 67"s for $5 more? Some other sliders mark that at the length of their 4 Runner sliders.

Just noticed we have the same tires too. Twins-ish.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:58 PM

what did you use to weld them on? Mig or stick? What rod did you burn. I got some 4xinnovations sliders sittin at the house waitin for me to get home.gonna put them on this weekend.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
I looked at the AllPro Offroad sliders before I got the TGs, but I just could not justify paying double the price for 1" more slider on the front and 1" more on the back (AllPro's are 60"). The kickouts are nice, but I personally don't like the way they look very much and they still don't make the slider worth anywhere near double.
You're forgetting one important thing....Quality of the metal. Still maybe not worth double, but just sayin. I don't have All Pro sliders (a buddy made mine) and I have the kick out, and it does help quite a bit when you're in tricky spots.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Patsawasy
Jealous. I have been eying a set for a couple weeks now. Glad to see one on the same color runner. Pretty classy rig ya got there..

I am also wondering about the length. Trail-Gear offers a 67" which is listed for the 4Runner, but the body length is about 70" between the wheels. Why not get the 67"s for $5 more? Some other sliders mark that at the length of their 4 Runner sliders.

Yeah, I don't see why those wouldn't be ok, the only thing I can think of is the 67"s are going to have a lot hanging over in the back because the control arm mount is in the way so you'll have to mount the rear legs up pretty far. Should be fine though I think.

Originally Posted by 1welder
what did you use to weld them on? Mig or stick? What rod did you burn. I got some 4xinnovations sliders sittin at the house waitin for me to get home.gonna put them on this weekend.
I used MIG. No idea what rod, my welder buddy set me up and I went for it.

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
You're forgetting one important thing....Quality of the metal. Still maybe not worth double, but just sayin. I don't have All Pro sliders (a buddy made mine) and I have the kick out, and it does help quite a bit when you're in tricky spots.
I'm sure the Chinese steel isn't as quality as American steel, but either is fine for sliders. Now if you want "slammers" instead, you might want to go with thick sidewall DOM. My Chinese HREW sliders still feel like they weigh about 60 or 70 lbs. each. The kickouts are functional, I just don't like the look of them.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by toyNG
looking good! Sliders give you so much more confidence and security when wheeling on the rocks.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not planning on doing anything too crazy on our trip, but I like the added security of having them. You never know...

Sometimes I wish I would have installed my sliders like you did so they can be used as a step. I'm 6'3, so don't need a step, but my passengers often wish they did.
Since the wife drives the 4Runner, too (she's 5'3")...I knew I had to go this route. I'm diggin' the look/functionality, though.

Originally Posted by okie81
Looks good, I like that angle
Thanks!

Originally Posted by quicksilvr
Nice choice! Those look great, and the install looks very pretty. Nice welding.
Thanks - I wish I could take credit, but that's all my buddy's doing.

Originally Posted by runneroffroad
looks really good man. now its time for some new bumpers
Heh...I wish. I'm taking baby steps, here

Originally Posted by brian2sun
I have the TG sliders too and the 58" length hasn't bothered me at all. They still protect just fine and I've wheeled with them pretty hard for the last 3 weeks or so. Actually, all of the contact they've had with rocks or anything has been right in the middle of the slider. It's surprisingly hard to find a rock shaped perfectly enough to fit right in-between the slider and the tire and and tall enough to actually do damage to the body/rocker panels.
I'm not too concerned. Between the tire and slider, it would take a pointy rock to hit it just right

Originally Posted by Patsawasy

Your rig looks sweet! And I love these tires - great on and off-road traction. You should pick up a pair of the sliders. I'd been looking at them for a while, too. Glad I finally pulled the trigger.

Re length, I didn't want to go too long and have to modify the bottom of the flares and body cladding. Guess it'd be different if it was a dedicated trail rig. But, it certainly wouldn't be too hard to modify them. You could easily cut an end to extend or shorten it to whatever you needed.

Originally Posted by 1welder
My buddy has a wire feed welder. Gets a little splatter but cleans up well with a wire wheel. Looks like they used a Mig welder on the assembled components, though...nice and clean. Def post pics when you get yours installed.

Last edited by dgz32; 06-07-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:18 PM

Those look great!! and your welding job much prettier than mine.

I've been pounding on my TG sliders for 2years now and they are holding up great.

Yours look like you got them powdercoated to match the limited flares.

I like the fact that when I go into the grocery store my doors and rockers are protected from stupid door dings from inconsiderate individuals and haters.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shoulda welded in the rosettes =) Thats what all the holes are for =)

But you wont have any problems anyhoo.... As far as all pro vs TG.. it really doesnt matter, they're a non structural piece of equipment with one purpose, to take all the abuse so your rockers dont.

Just put a set on my brothers 09 4 door Tacoma, came out very nice =) I also have them on my truck.. reminds me i need to sand em and recoat em this summer, they've got a lot of rock rash :-p
Old 06-08-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jdizzydub
Those look great!! and your welding job much prettier than mine.

I've been pounding on my TG sliders for 2years now and they are holding up great.

Yours look like you got them powdercoated to match the limited flares.

I like the fact that when I go into the grocery store my doors and rockers are protected from stupid door dings from inconsiderate individuals and haters.
Thanks. I had a buddy weld these up for me. And good to know they've held up well for you; hopefully mine will do the same. The finish is RustOleum out of a spray can. Powder coat would have been nice, though!

Originally Posted by drew303
Shoulda welded in the rosettes =) Thats what all the holes are for =)
Would have preferred to have welded those in, but we were running out of time and wire. Should be OK, though. Guess I could always have them welded at a later date...but they're very stout as they are