Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

towing questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing questions

I am planning on buying a small tractor, within the weight range of around 2500lbs or so.

I am looking at trailers, and have found these....http://www.andersontrailers.com/util.../4-2-11LST.pdf

a picture is here....http://www.andersontrailers.com/Imag...0w-gate%20.jpg

these have a load capacity, according to the tag on the trailer at the trailer place, of 5600lbs, and the trailer weighs about 1550lbs.

the type of tractor I'm looking at is here...http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings...?OHID=6433135&

now, this is way over what I need....
However, all the single axle trailers that would tow up to 2500lbs did not have any trailer brakes.

I really want trailer brakes.

Now here is my question.
There are electric breakaway brakes on this trailer with a small battery mounted on the tongue.
There is a 7 way RV plug from this tractor also.

Now, I have the flat 4 plug on the runner currently.

A few years ago, I towed a uhaul enclosed trailer with tandem axles and trailer brakes.
There was a flat 4 plug on the trailer (I think it had both options, but not sure).
I was able to plug and go, and the trailer brakes were awesome.
I had towed plenty in the past, but never with trailer brakes, and was amazed at the difference.

Anyways, I guess I had been under the impression that you need to have the 7 way RV plug for trailer brakes?

If I bought this trailer, would I be able to just use a flat 4 to 7 way RV plug adaptor, and have the brakes work fine?

And what are these brake controllers all about then? I didnt have one when towing the uhaul and it worked just fine?

sorry for the newb questions, and I did go back and search and read old posts, but still have some questions

Edit. Lastly, is a transmission cooler over the stock one really necessary? I have an upgraded radiator to prevent the milkshake problem...but if a cooler will really and truly make a difference in tranny life, then I'll do it. I have over 230K on the runner now, and have towed plenty, and the tranny is great

thx

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 09-20-2011 at 06:59 AM. Reason: IL removed
Old 09-20-2011, 03:06 PM

update...

went to the trailer place to buy the trailer.

They are going to do the install of the 7 way RV plug, and then they are going to install a prodigy brake controller.

They said they didnt know if the install of the controller will be a simple plug and play...werent sure about an older vehicle like my 97...but said when I bring it in tomorrow for the install that they would let me know after they started working on it.

The total weight of trailer and tractor should be right at 4K lbs...so 1000 less than the capacity.
Probably about the heaviest I've towed...
although, a few yrs ago with that Uhaul enclosed trailer (those things are not light) full of furniture...I never weighed it, but would bet it was pushing 4K.
I drove it from NC to FL, and it was fine. Never had any problems whatsoever.

My next plan is to get a tranny cooler for it, just as insurance.
I'm guessing the engineers at toyota made the factory cooler large enough to keep the tranny within specs for what I'm about to do...which is tow 4k lbs on a 17hr each way trip through mostly flat terrain.

So 1K lbs under rated capacity, and no mountains.

The only thing about the trailer that I'm not crazy about is that the tailgate is like a big paracute, sticking straight up off the back and catching the wind.

ah well, my plan is to run about 65 mph all the way...
Old 09-20-2011, 07:04 PM

Matt,
That is a nice trailer. Just for curiosity's sake, what is the price?

I'd look at installing a B&M 70264 ATF cooler mounted right up against the condenser and right after the cooler in the transmission. I hope the ATF is in good shape.

If you have 16" wheels, and plan to tow this trailer more than a couple of times, I'd suggest doing the Tundra brake upgrade.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by J2F42C
Matt,
That is a nice trailer. Just for curiosity's sake, what is the price?

I'd look at installing a B&M 70264 ATF cooler mounted right up against the condenser and right after the cooler in the transmission. I hope the ATF is in good shape.

If you have 16" wheels, and plan to tow this trailer more than a couple of times, I'd suggest doing the Tundra brake upgrade.

Hey, the shop selling that trailer has reduced the price on all of their trailers...that one is 2200 dollars.

With the tranny cooler thing...this is where I have some real questions. I have to think that the factory cooler in the radiator is really quite effective. I havent found toyota to do much substandard engineering. What I wish I could find, is an unbiased scientific test comparing the factory cooler, under varied conditions with temp sensing equipment, to several of the aftermarket coolers.

I am betting that the factory cooler compares very well, and is quite sufficient in keeping the tranny cool in most towing conditions.

Is there anything like this out there? I understand everyone has opinions, and it makes sense that bigger may be better, yada yada...but most of this is just opinion...and I usually dont put much weight on those.

I need to check, but I'm pretty sure this trailer has brakes on both axles, and that really should be sufficient in my experience.

I've towed up to 2Klbs, with over 600 in the truck itself, with NO trailer brakes, and have never had a problem.

I'm wondering if there are any good write up's on installing brake controllers...seems there arent on this site, as i've looked...would be a nice addition to this site in my opinion.

Maybe I'll take lots of pics when the tech is doing mine...
Old 09-21-2011, 12:39 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

Having put on hitches wired vehicles installed transmission coolers I have seen my fair share over 30 plus years .

Most uhaul trailers have surge brakes not electric so no control unit is needed in the tow vehicle. Which is why the 4 wire flat pin worked

As far as Trans coolers go If you think you will be fine install a temperature gauge then you will know for sure.

It just takes cooking a expensive transmission one time to preach transmission coolers .

I look at it this way if the vehicle manufacture designed the trans cooler to work under extreme conditions ( Towing ,Snow Plowing etc) In your normal driving in the winter your trans fluid would never get up to proper temp. just my theory.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Having put on hitches wired vehicles installed transmission coolers I have seen my fair share over 30 plus years .

Most uhaul trailers have surge brakes not electric so no control unit is needed in the tow vehicle. Which is why the 4 wire flat pin worked

As far as Trans coolers go If you think you will be fine install a temperature gauge then you will know for sure.

It just takes cooking a expensive transmission one time to preach transmission coolers .

I look at it this way if the vehicle manufacture designed the trans cooler to work under extreme conditions ( Towing ,Snow Plowing etc) In your normal driving in the winter your trans fluid would never get up to proper temp. just my theory.

So you have seen cooked transmissions on 4runners from towing?
What yrs were the runners? What were they towing, and under what kind of towing conditions?

Have you compared temp's on you're temp gauge between a factory cooler and an aftermarket one? How much of a difference did it make?

Finally, from what I see, tranny coolers are not expensive at all, and the actual connecting of them seems easy.
However, I would imagine to get the most benefit from one, you would want to mount it in front of everything else so it gets the airflow unobstructed....My concern was how hard this would be to do.

If I can see some decent evidence showing that this is a needed modification, then I will go ahead and do it.

Who is running temp gauges before and after?

thx for the response, and I appreciate any info you're experience can give on this matter
Old 09-21-2011, 03:29 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Are both axles Braking axles or just one?
I have the prodigy controller, it is nice. Easy to adjust for the unloaded trailer and than dial it up for the loaded trailer..
Old 09-21-2011, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Are both axles Braking axles or just one?
I have the prodigy controller, it is nice. Easy to adjust for the unloaded trailer and than dial it up for the loaded trailer..
hey, yesterday I thought I saw brakes on both axles, but will make sure before I hand him my credit card.
I've also heard good things about the prodigy, and dont mind paying a little more for quality.

My one question is should I pay to have it installed or save a few sheckles and do it myself?
I just have no idea how hard it is, and am thinking just letting a pro do it would be best...
since it is such an important peice of equipment that you dont want failing a hundred miles in on a 900 mile tow

do you have a tranny cooler? How much do you tow and is it over flat or mountains?
thx
Old 09-21-2011, 04:17 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Installing a brake controller is nothing more than reading a wiring diagram.

:wabbit2:
Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I had the prodigy on my '05 tacoma and move it to my '04 Tahoe. Both were plug and play, I think you can find an adapter for your truck but don't know for sure.
Both my Taco had and Tahoe have factory tow packages with transmission coolers, I would not tow a load close to the tow rating of my truck with out one.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Installing a brake controller is nothing more than reading a wiring diagram.

:wabbit2:

I guess then you have to run wires from the engine compartment to the hitch area, and do so in a way that they dont catch on anything or wear prematurely?

I ended up letting the technician do it at the shop.

They are really experienced, and if I'm towing 4K lbs with my 2 yr old in the back seat, I want to make sure I can stop everything and not have a failure.
I just think since these guys have done thousands of them, that they will do a good job....

I know it costs more, but i'm okay with it for peace of mind.

The trailer does have brakes on both wheels btw...
Old 09-21-2011, 08:57 AM

well, as it turns out, we decided to pay a transport company to deliver it to us.
we figured about 500 in gas alone for me to drive there to get it...
and the transport company is only asking 675...

so, we figure 175 bucks is worth it for the frustration, wear and tear on the truck, etc.

this also gives me time to buy one of these...
http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...e/RP66076.html

from what I've read this is the best rig for my....rig....

This time next week, we will be towing the kubota tractor up to the mountains of western NC to start working on clearing the 10 acres we bought up there.

this also gives me more time to investigate a tranny cooler...
on that same site with the wd hitch, they also sell several different tranny coolers for the 4runner.
I'm just waiting for somebody to chime in who has actual experience with a temp gauge directly comparing factory stock cooler to aftermarket in similar conditions....

edit...what temp gauge do you guys recommend?
is there a write up anywhere on here for the install?

thx

Last edited by mattbatson; 09-21-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:13 AM

Using a Scangauge and before installing my B&M cooler, I would run in the upper 180s. When towing my 20ft boat, 200 to 210. After the installation of the cooler, 167 max in town, and 181 max towing the 3800 lb boat/trailer in 95 degree weather. If no B&M, make sure to get one that is a LPD; it will allow the ATF to warm up to operating temp in the cold before the cooler goes into effect, with cooling beginning at 170 or 180 degrees.

Also, besides the Tundra brakes as a recommendation, change out the fan clutch if it is original to help with overall air flow.

Take a pic and post when everything is hooked up.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:14 PM

Using a Scangauge and before installing my B&M cooler, I would run in the upper 180s. When towing my 20ft boat, 200 to 210. After the installation of the cooler, 167 max in town, and 181 max towing the 3800 lb boat/trailer in 95 degree weather. If no B&M, make sure to get one that is a LPD; it will allow the ATF to warm up to operating temp in the cold before the cooler goes into effect, with cooling beginning at 170 or 180 degrees.

Also, besides the Tundra brakes as a recommendation, change out the fan clutch if it is original to help with overall air flow.

Take a pic and post when everything is hooked up.
okay, you made a believer out of me.

where did you buy your B&M from and did it come with any mounting hardware? Easy to mount?

thx
Old 09-21-2011, 02:07 PM

http://www.etrailer.com/Transmission...eid=1997759273

found these, and they say that you run through the factory cooler first, then through this one...
is that what you mean?
Old 09-21-2011, 03:10 PM

Matt,

Here you go. The reason most here like this cooler is that is big enough to cool efficiently but doesn't take up too much space. You will have to take off the grill to mount it (use the search engine to find out how to do it, not hard). I paid $50 three years ago. The one from your link is not an LPD, so I would pass on it. Get yourself about 6ft of ATF hose at Autozone or the like when you install it.

Also use the search for B&M 70264 and you will see how other members mounted theirs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-M-7...item483f2bceb5
Old 09-21-2011, 04:35 PM

and then the controller...

I am looking at the ebay b&m and plan to buy one before my trip up to nc next week.

then a scan gauge is next
Old 09-21-2011, 04:36 PM

hmmm, if getting the red x of death...
the pics are here in this album...

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u...rent%3D006.jpg

Last edited by dropzone; 09-24-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: added [img] code
Old 09-21-2011, 05:31 PM

Matt,

The pics look good. I think the 4runner should be able to handle that trailer now with ease.

Spend some time looking over the threads here that talk about transmission coolers using the search engine.There is more than enough info.

Just FYI, the Scangauge will not read ATF temperatures for your 97, it only works for the years 99-02.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:35 PM

Matt,

The pics look good. I think the 4runner should be able to handle that trailer now with ease.

Spend some time looking over the threads here that talk about transmission coolers using the search engine.There is more than enough info.

Just FYI, the Scangauge will not read ATF temperatures for your 97, it only works for the years 99-02.

hey, yes, I've been reading back posts on the tranny coolers and have a good idea on how to install it.
I already ordered the ebay link you posted.
Still deciding if I want to run the tranny fluid through the B&M first, then through the factory, then to tranny....or through the factory first...
still reading up on it...

I do think I'll be okay with 4k lbs total as I have also already ordered a reese weight distribution hitch with anti sway cams...so I should be good to go.

Quick Reply: towing questions