Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

tough problem, get out your brains

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tough problem, get out your brains

ok maybe its not so tough. but ive spent a while looking around and cant find anyone with a tacoma that has lights mounted to their rear bumper. my friend has a 04 tacoma and i told him id help put on some back up lights like i have on my 4runner, but we are having a few difficulties. the main one being how are we going to run the wire from the lights to the switch beside the steering wheel. the other problem isnt really a problem, im just going to drill a hole big enough (on the bottom of his bumper, there are predrilled holes, but there is a black piece covering access from the top) to fit the bolt of the lights. if you all could suggest a way to get the wire from the lights to inside the cab, itd be highly appreciated by my friend, and me, i told him i could do this no problem.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by northfacer581
ok maybe its not so tough. but ive spent a while looking around and cant find anyone with a tacoma that has lights mounted to their rear bumper. my friend has a 04 tacoma and i told him id help put on some back up lights like i have on my 4runner, but we are having a few difficulties. the main one being how are we going to run the wire from the lights to the switch beside the steering wheel. the other problem isnt really a problem, im just going to drill a hole big enough (on the bottom of his bumper, there are predrilled holes, but there is a black piece covering access from the top) to fit the bolt of the lights. if you all could suggest a way to get the wire from the lights to inside the cab, itd be highly appreciated by my friend, and me, i told him i could do this no problem.
Does he have trailoring wires? If so then if it has back up lighting wires then why dont you tap into it? If it doesnt then just run the wires tucked underneath the truck up inside the floor board if it's a manual, if it's an automatic then you can run it inside of the firewall through the grommet.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by northfacer581
the main one being how are we going to run the wire from the lights to the switch beside the steering wheel.

Are you guys 100% set on putting the light switch there?
I was going to do the same but decided against it because of the fact that they're rear facing lights. I don't want to accidentally flip the switch while I'm driving and end up pulled over because I didn't notice the lights were on.

I ended up drilling a hole on the side of the console next to the middle cup holders and installing this switch:

I don't have to worry about accidental activation or passenger interference now because of the discreet location and the nature of the switch
Old 02-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

Just got your PM and I understood what your intent was. That's exactly how I have everything wired up... the wires run from the lights under the truck to the engine compartment where they hook up to a relay and the wiring for the switch I fed through the grommet.

I don't have any wires coming in through the doors. They all come in an out of the same driver side grommet.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

so ur saying u ran the wire all the way under the truck up into the engine compartment, and through the firewall?...i am pretty "experienced" with aux lights, i got 4 sets on my 4runner...so did you just run the wire against the chasis and use wire ties to hold it in place?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah pretty much.
I set the wires in a long plastic sleeve and zip tied it to several non-moving fixtures in the frame on the way up to the engine compartment.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

sounds great. thanks for the help guys, you always pull through!
Old 02-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Just be sure to post pics when you guys are done!
Old 02-24-2005, 06:15 PM

You can run wires through a rubber plug located in the storage hatch under the rear jump seats.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Are you guys 100% set on putting the light switch there?
I was going to do the same but decided against it because of the fact that they're rear facing lights. I don't want to accidentally flip the switch while I'm driving and end up pulled over because I didn't notice the lights were on.

I ended up drilling a hole on the side of the console next to the middle cup holders and installing this switch:

I don't have to worry about accidental activation or passenger interference now because of the discreet location and the nature of the switch
..sorry to highjack the thread but where did you get a switch like that?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:47 PM
Contributing Member

The picture is from Painless Wiring's site:
http://www.painlesswiring.com

but I got mine (in black so it's even harder to see) from Kragen's. Just go to your local auto supply shop and head to the ricer bling section. APC made this switch but it cost me a pretty penny - don't remember how much exactly but I do remember re-thinking the idea for a while.