Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Tires rubbing -- any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires rubbing -- any suggestions?

A couple of years ago, I put some SAWs on the front of my '99 Runner. Last weekend, we did the same to my son's '00 Tundra with a Downey Add-A-Spring and longer shocks in the rear.

However, when we popped on the new tires (Firestone Destination M/T), they rub the A-arms when turning. I checked with some wheel places and they said that nobody makes wheels with the correct backspacing to alleviate that rubbing.

My Goodyears have about 1/2" clearance between the A-arms and the tires.

Anybody have any suggestions? (other than ditching the Tundra for a 'Runner!)

Thanks.

--Lurch
Old 06-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Wheel spacers would do the trick, or find a better wheel place. You can get a wide variety of wheel widths and backspacing. Measure what you have and figure out how much clearance you need, subtract that addl. clearance from your current backspacing and that is what you need to look for.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

Plain and simple soultion.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yamaha+Toyota=Fun

Plain and simple soultion.

Sledgehammer the A-Arms?

Anyway, my first thought was wheel spacers too. But maybe some after-market upper A-arms? On 3rd gen 4Runners, new arms usually don't have the same rubbing problems the stock ones do, -or- what some people do is simply grind down the stock A-arms to allow for tire clearance.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

grinding clearance on the a-arms is the least costly, unless you get happy with the grinder! apparently, there is enough material on the lip of the a-arm that grinding clearance for the tires will not affect things adversely.

lee
Old 06-02-2005, 05:33 PM

wow lurch, haven't seen you in forever. How are things? When are you gonna come to Attica and wheel?

As for the tires rubbing, I"m in the same situation, except i have about only 1/4 inch clearance so I don't rub, unless I air down when wheeling.

As for solutions:

1) I tried grinding down my a-arm, but due to strength issues I didn't want to grind too much.

2) I bought wheel spacers, but after hearing all sorts of bad stories about them, and having discount tire tell me they wouldn't be able to work on my tires if I have them on, I sold them.

3) Now I'm looking to get new wheels that are 1" wider and less backspacing (numerically)

so I would say just get new wheels, and maybe wider ones too which will not bulge the tire out as much.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, been gone awhile. Thanks for missing me!!

The place where I bought the tires won't take them back, and I'm not eager to eat the cost. I really need to find someone who knows about wheels. He called "his buddy" at the TireRack and was told that backspacing wouldn't make a difference. I don't get it -- I thought that was what backspacing WAS!?

Anyway, apparently the wheels are the same on both my 'Runner and his Tundra. They tried my wheels/tires on his truck and and they had clearance. However, trying his wheels/tires on Lurch and they rubbed "even worse", according to the mechanic.

They were adamantly opposed to grinding on the A-arms for fear of weakening them.

Anybody know a good source for reliable wheel info? I really need to nail down this problem, even if it means springing for new wheels.

Thanks, everybody.

As for Attica, I'd love to meet up sometime. PM me with upcoming dates ...

-- Don
Old 06-05-2005, 07:09 PM

I think the upper a-arm replacement is the cheapest way to fix your problem. I have done alot of these and they solve your tire rubbing and give you a little more travel. I also got a set of ATS (now O.R.V.P.) on ebay for only $200.00 and put them on my brothers 2001 Tundra with the downey set up and no more rubbing. Alot safer then wheel spacers or grinding down a stock a-arms. To find them on ebay just do a search for ( toyota a-arms )
Old 06-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the tip, RaceTaco. I was wondering if the control arms are the same on the Tundra and the 'Runner. Evidently they are.

Well, at this point, he returned from Discount Tire with wheel information. If he can find some wheels that aren't TOO expensive for his budget that will have the right amount of backspacing to solve the rubbing issue, that will probably be the way he'll go. Not exactly what I'd planned when we started this project, but what's new???

It has been a learning experience for me, however. I've been eyeballing some new wheels and tires for some time now, so I just might look at those A-arms myself ...

Thanks for the tip!

-- Don
Old 06-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem and ordered the Inland Trucks a-arms and problem solved. ATS is out of business, but Inland Trucks sells the same arms. Also, Schaeffer does custom a-arm work:

http://www.sonoransteel.com/index.html#shave

http://www.sonoransteel.com/Tundra_Extras.html
Old 06-07-2005, 08:01 PM

eBay is the cheapest place to get the ATS-Inland Truck A-arms, there only $200.00 but Inland Trucks wants $389.00 and the only difference is I.T. has them powder coated silver. For the extra $189.00 I get them coated myself. As far as the 4Runner arms being the same I believe the Tundra arms are about 3/8" longer then the 4runners but look the same, But I could be wrong.

Last edited by RaceTaco; 06-07-2005 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How big are the wheels that the Destinations M/T's are on?