Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Thicker exhaust gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 12:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thicker exhaust gaskets?

I've got a small exhaust leak on the last flange before the muffler on my 2002 4Runner. I've just replaced the gasket/nuts/bolts with new OEM ones to fix the bad exhaust leak that was there before, and now I'm left with the small annoying exhaust leak that I can't hear, but I can feel when I place my hand above the flange. The problem is that the flanges come into hard contact when I bolt them up together before there is sufficient "squeezing" at the top of the gasket. I did bend the bolt hole areas of the flanges away from each other slightly before bolting the joint together, but the leak is still there.

I did also clean the old gasket and rust off the flanges before installing the new gasket. I noticed a bit of wear (partially rusted out area) near the top of the flange (so the gap is a bit larger at the top of the flange), but I don't think that the flange is worn enough yet to justify cutting it off and welding on a new one.

Are there thicker exhaust gaskets that can be purchased anywhere? Has anyone had any success installing two oem gaskets together to fix this sort of problem? The gasket "centering pipe" that you slip the gasket over before assembling the joint protrudes enough to accomodate two gaskets thick.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 10-04-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:25 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Maybe a couple layers of this stuff, never tried it but its only $10.00
Old 10-04-2009, 02:17 PM

I don't see a link there, RMA. Maybe you forgot to paste it in?
Old 10-04-2009, 02:25 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
oh wow I did sorry , here it is.

Like I said never used it but am looking for something like it .

I have a similar situation with my 2wd.

http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...st+gasket+5960
Old 11-12-2009, 01:35 PM

Well, for closure on this thread, I successfully eliminated the exhaust leak by using two OEM gaskets thick. This allowed sufficient "squeezing" of the gaskets before the flanges came into hard contact.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good to know, in that case I guess you could maybe even use a couple old ones.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:12 PM

I reused the one that had been on there for about 6 weeks (it was in good shape), plus one new one. The old stock one had fallen apart when I replaced it a month ago.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
I reused the one that had been on there for about 6 weeks (it was in good shape), plus one new one. The old stock one had fallen apart when I replaced it a month ago.
my exhaust leak was horrible until I switched to a metal gasket. I still do have an audible leak though. Did you just get two from the dealer? If you could tell me where you got yours, I'd love to kill my leak once and for all.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:09 PM

A good company to go with next time is remflex. I have a P.O.S. turbo manifold on my 4runner that is warped over an 1/8th of an inch and these gaskets sealed it right up.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by ChildrenOfBodom
my exhaust leak was horrible until I switched to a metal gasket. I still do have an audible leak though. Did you just get two from the dealer? If you could tell me where you got yours, I'd love to kill my leak once and for all.
Yes, I just got two OEM ones from the Dealership.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChildrenOfBodom
I had the same problem and finally fixed it. I seemingly tried almost every type of unbolting and tightening process (ie cat) possible until I sat down and thought about it. The rubber bushings that hold the cat-back part of the exhaust on were my culprit. There was never enough play in those to let my exhaust completely seal up.

So, I bought 3 OEM gaskets, and a tube of high temp muffler sealer.
I unbolted the cat and removed the rubber bushings from the rear part of the exhaust, and kept the exhaust hung there with tie down straps. Put some muffler seal on each side of the gasket, and bolted the front part of the cat up. The two other gaskets I used in the rear part of the cat (that's where the audible leak was coming from). I sandwiched two gaskets with the sealer, and then on the outside of the gaskets got some sealer too where they would come into contact with the pipe. With the rear portion of the exhaust hanging there, bolted that part up to the cat. The tie downs allow plenty of play so the exhaust sucked right up to the cat. Installed all the rubber bushings again and whala! The whole system sounds nice n purrty without all of that annoying ticking!
Old 11-23-2009, 04:19 AM

Im not trying to hijack thread but I have a similar problem....But mine is with the TRD headers. The pipe that comes between the engine and the firewall has a connection with a gasket in there. I replaced all the gasket with the TRD gasket kit that cost me 160ish but i still a very slight leak and it bothers me when im towing. Does anyone know if i could use a stock gasket or double it up as i still have the old gaskets i took off the headers when i redid them all. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:45 PM

Anyone know the OEM part number for this gasket???
Old 06-09-2010, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

These are the gaskets I used on my exhaust manifold to down pipe joint (2001 Taco).

Old 05-08-2013, 01:56 PM

Just wanted to update this thread, I had the same problem as GSGALLANT in which I installed a catback exhaust and had a leak where the old catalytic converter flange meets where the new muffler flange is. I doubled up the gaskets where the 2 flanges meet and everything is sealed nice and tight. My 4runner is now nice and quiet, can't believe the difference.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've have the same issue with my 89. I doubled the gaskets as you mentioned and that worked for a while but then the problem is that you can't squeeze the double thick gasket enough, and after a while you'll have serious amount of play in that union and loose flange studs/nuts. I haven't found a solution yet, so I'm just tolerating the small leak (which I can hear) until I work it out. I'm going to try an old trick used on my old dirtbikes head gaskets. I'll let you know.